Jump to content

Tokyo 2020 News - General


Recommended Posts

I think there’s other threads for the whole southern hemisphere WG debate already….

As for Tokyo/Covid…another test for these “safe Games” IOC storylines will be how many athletes/coaches return home and find out that did not (only) bring a medal but also the virus because these bubbles really only exist in the fantasy of the organisers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, StefanMUC said:

I think there’s other threads for the whole southern hemisphere WG debate already….

As for Tokyo/Covid…another test for these “safe Games” IOC storylines will be how many athletes/coaches return home and find out that did not (only) bring a medal but also the virus because these bubbles really only exist in the fantasy of the organisers.

So far though, the bubble is holding pretty strong.  Helps to have an abundance of testing.  The question I have is at what point do they stop testing people who are on their way out of Tokyo?  Give these organizers credit.. what they're pulling off thus far is something a lot of people thought would be impossible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

So far though, the bubble is holding pretty strong.  Helps to have an abundance of testing.  The question I have is at what point do they stop testing people who are on their way out of Tokyo?  Give these organizers credit.. what they're pulling off thus far is something a lot of people thought would be impossible.

I think it depends on who you ask. Several doctors have come out and said the bubble has burst but we aren't seeing the outbreaks among athletes some suspected. The real test will come two weeks after the Olympics. If we see spikes in Tokyo or a number of athletes returning home and testing positive, we will know the bubble failed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stryker said:

I think it depends on who you ask. Several doctors have come out and said the bubble has burst but we aren't seeing the outbreaks among athletes some suspected. The real test will come two weeks after the Olympics. If we see spikes in Tokyo or a number of athletes returning home and testing positive, we will know the bubble failed.

Depends how we define the "bubble" in the first place.  This was never going to be like the NBA or NHL bubbles which were pretty airtight.  This one was never going to be that.  Yes, there were a handful of positives, but more of those were early on when athletes first got to Tokyo and probably brought COVID in with them.  But how much did that meaningfully affect any events? 

The number of cases in Japan is still trending upward.  Not sure how much of that can be traced to the Olympics though.  Again, testing and prevention measures are keeping the Olympics safe, the odds of athletes taking COVID home with them are slim and if they do test positive, it probably wasn't from the Olympics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"A Belarusian Olympic sprinter who had a public feud with officials from her team at the Tokyo Games said Tuesday that they "made it clear" she would face punishment if she returned home to an autocratic government that has relentlessly stifled any criticism."

Belarus sprinter Krystsina Tsimanouskaya says punishment awaited her back home

The IOC may feel forced to discipline Belarus with other athletes already facing punishment for criticizing the Lukashenko regime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the boards are already starting to trickle down, after a big bump in activity that hasn't been seen in quite a while, once Tokyo 2020ne opened. There'll probably be another uptick during the closing, but then these forums will likely become like a ghost-town once again (other than the occasional, meaningless boycott discussion in the Beijing thread), until perhaps maybe at the start of the new year when Beijing 2022 will literally be right around the corner. The no spectators at the these Games also probably didn't help much in the news category either. And now that we don't have the bid races to talk about anymore in-between Games, well, it makes these boards virtually moot these days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Tokyo faces stifling heat and then a tropical storm as Olympics near their end

Athletes and others involved in the Summer Olympics in Tokyo face punishing heat and the prospect of a wind-driven deluge as the games come to a close over the next several days. Japan is slogging through its most extreme heat of the summer while a tropical storm may pass very close to Tokyo this weekend.

Oppressive heat and humidity smothered Tokyo on Wednesday, “torturing the Olympians and volunteers,” tweeted Sayaka Mori, a local meteorologist. The brutal combination made it feel like 109 degrees during the afternoon.

Thursday and Friday are predicted to be just as hot, if not hotter.

Relief from the heat arrives this weekend, but that’s when the Joint Typhoon Warning Center predicts a tropical storm may barrel toward the region.

As of Thursday morning local time, a tropical depression had developed near Kadena Air Base in Japan’s far southern prefecture of Okinawa, nearly 950 miles southwest of Tokyo. Its peak winds were 35 mph.

The center’s forecast calls for the depression to strengthen into a tropical storm later Thursday as it travels northeastward. By Saturday, it will be parallel to Japan’s mainland of Honshu over the ocean, making its closest approach to Tokyo on Sunday. The center says a “favorable environment will fuel steady intensification” and predicts peak winds of 65 mph when in Tokyo’s vicinity. However, it cautions confidence in the track and intensity forecast are low.

It’s possible that the storm remains offshore with minimal impacts for mainland Japan. But if the storm stays near the center of the current projected track, it could bring torrential rain and damaging winds to Tokyo between Saturday and Sunday night.

Golf.com writes that the storm could cut the women’s golf event from 72 to 54 holes because the final round is scheduled for Saturday, when rain could begin. All Olympic competitions need to be finished by 8 p.m. local time Sunday, and the storminess could linger through that time.

The opening 18 holes of the women’s golf event were played amid Wednesday’s excessive heat. Jack Fulghum, caddie for golfer Lexi Thompson, withdrew after 15 holes. “I am about to pass out,” he told Thompson, NBCMiami wrote, before being helped off the course. Another caddie was rushed to the hospital because of heat stroke, Golf.com reported.

Weather also plagued the Olympics opening week when Tropical Storm Nepartak, which merely grazed Tokyo, forced schedule adjustments for archery, rowing and sailing.

Then, after the storm passed, excessive heat became problematic.

Daniil Medvedev, the world’s No. 2 tennis player, struggled with the heat during a match July 28. “I can finish the match, but I can die,” he told chair umpire Carlos Ramos. Medvedev subsequently managed to withstand the temperatures and won his match

But “Spanish player Paula Badosa was less fortunate,” ESPN.com reported. “She left the court in a wheelchair … because of heatstroke.”

Reuters reported that through Sunday, 30 people involved in the Olympics had suffered from heat-related illnesses.

The Olympics have coincided with the hottest time of year in Tokyo, and the heat through Friday is anticipated to be the most intense of the games. NBCMiami reported that the Swedish and Canadian women’s soccer teams requested that Friday’s gold medal match be rescheduled from the middle of the day.

The punishing heat comes as a massive ridge of high pressure over the northern central Pacific or “heat dome” flexes southwestward. For more than a week this heat dome has brought record high temperatures to Hokkaido, Japan’s northernmost main island, and generated an “exceptional” marine heat wave over the Pacific. While it has only now extended over Honshu, it ranks among Hokkaido’s longest-lasting and most intense heat events ever observed.

Tokyo was a controversial choice to host the games because of its hot and humid conditions, which have been made worse by climate change. July and August average temperatures have warmed by 2.7 degrees in Tokyo since 1964, the last time the Olympics were held there, according to Climate Central, a science communications firm.

News source:The Washington Post

Link to this article:https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/08/04/tokyo-tropical-storm-heat-olympics/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, FYI said:

So the boards are already starting to trickle down, after a big bump in activity that hasn't been seen in quite a while, once Tokyo 2020ne opened. There'll probably be another uptick during the closing, but then these forums will likely become like a ghost-town once again (other than the occasional, meaningless boycott discussion in the Beijing thread), until perhaps maybe at the start of the new year when Beijing 2022 will literally be right around the corner. The no spectators at the these Games also probably didn't help much in the news category either. And now that we don't have the bid races to talk about anymore in-between Games, well, it makes these boards virtually moot these days.

The board is really what we the posters make of it.

There is no reason why it should be quiet just because there is no bid races.

i see lots of members on here at times yet they do not post anything. I have posted things or tried to start up topics and no one has replied or engaged in discussion.

I even want to/have tried to share my own sports journey to one day compete at LA2028 but no one seems interested or wants to engage with me.

There is no reason why we cant keep discussing all upcoming sports competitions, other events and even have discussions on past events, different parts of the olympics such as our like and dislikes.

We all as members just need to start talking, discussing, arguing and making this site interactive and fun.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I reckon Beijing discussions will be pretty active just because it is going to be so unusual and so uncomfortable in so many ways.  Japan thus far has gone off as well as one could have expected, all things considered.  If the boat during the triathlon is the most embarrassing thing, I suppose thats a pretty good day overall.  Still a few more days to go though.  Some of those final day events could face some pretty disgusting heat and humidity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Olympian2005 said:

The board is really what we the posters make of it.

There is no reason why it should be quiet just because there is no bid races.

i see lots of members on here at times yet they do not post anything. I have posted things or tried to start up topics and no one has replied or engaged in discussion.

I even want to/have tried to share my own sports journey to one day compete at LA2028 but no one seems interested or wants to engage with me.

There is no reason why we cant keep discussing all upcoming sports competitions, other events and even have discussions on past events, different parts of the olympics such as our like and dislikes.

We all as members just need to start talking, discussing, arguing and making this site interactive and fun.

Sure, of course. But one thing that you have to realize about this website, though, is that it's a specialty forum. And it's initial inception back in 1998, was specifically about bid cities - hence the name of the website GamesBIDS (although at the very beginning, it was called Torontosummergames, even more bid specific then). So it has morphed, over the years, into the many Subcategories that you see now. And while all this may be "new" to you, it's not new at all to many of us here, who have been on here for many, many years already, discussing, debating, engaging & arguing. Thus, many of the topics that you have recently posted about, have already been discussed ad nauseum over the years throughout these forums (although, I will say, a couple of your topics have had some engagement, & then you yourself, ironically enough, hardly partake in them much further after that). 

I notice that newbies always do this. And I can understand their curiosity about the Olympics, but sometimes they are perhaps better served to go through many of the thread archives here already to get a better sense of these boards before maybe posting some redundant topics that a lot of the veteran board members feel like a "been there, done that" topic from years past. So therefore, as a result, not many, if any people respond to a thread that a newbie has started, since we've seen that time & again. And sometimes, people feel compelled to post to a topic when they have/or can have a personal connection to it. And if it's not there, then not many comment. And like I said up-thread, while these Tokyo 2020ne Games have caused an uptick in traffic here, it's still nothing what these boards once were back in their hayday (even last year, before you arrived here, you could sense the dust bowls floating around). And that's an aspect that virtually all of the veteran members have said even recently in other threads.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

I reckon Beijing discussions will be pretty active just because it is going to be so unusual and so uncomfortable in so many ways.  

Yeah, at this point, all we can hope for is all the political drama that will be Beijing 2022, just to keep these boards going between now & next February's winter opening. Boycott fetish boy should at least see to that, though. lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Olympian2005 said:

The board is really what we the posters make of it.

There is no reason why it should be quiet just because there is no bid races.

i see lots of members on here at times yet they do not post anything. I have posted things or tried to start up topics and no one has replied or engaged in discussion.

I even want to/have tried to share my own sports journey to one day compete at LA2028 but no one seems interested or wants to engage with me.

There is no reason why we cant keep discussing all upcoming sports competitions, other events and even have discussions on past events, different parts of the olympics such as our like and dislikes.

We all as members just need to start talking, discussing, arguing and making this site interactive and fun.

True. But you weren’t here in the golden days of the board when Jacques Chirac expressing his opinion on Finnish cuisine would generate more comment, debate and arguments on the board than has been generated here since the start of the current games. I tried to start up a sweep on the Tokyo games and it fell flat - in the past our sweeps on the games, World Cups, or bid votes would oversubscribe within hours of being posted. We used to do lots of games, contests and such, and they were incredibly popular. During past games, the board would be frenetic with dozens and dozens of threads devoted to how all the national teams were going, to all the individual sports, to who the best looking athletes were etc. Now I’m wondering if anyone here’s actually watching any sports at all… most comments seem to be just anticipating what the closing ceremony is going to show. 

It’s sad, I’ve got a lot of fond memories of the board. But we just don’t have the active membership we once did. And I don’t think the way bidding works now will attract new members like it used to. I’d love to be proven wrong though. Do things like support and encourage others to support thinks like the annual logo contest (which I know Yoshi’s still keen to do). As you say, the board what posters make of of it.

It’s been nice seeing a lot of old GamesBids veterans poke their heads in here, though.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

When I saw that this morning, I thought that couldn't possibly be real, even by Trump's lofty standards of utterly insane bullshit.  But it was.  Donald Trump, the man who finished with the silver medal in a 2-person contest

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

True. But you weren’t here in the golden days of the board when Jacques Chirac expressing his opinion on Finnish cuisine would generate more comment, debate and arguments on the board than has been generated here since the start of the current games. I tried to start up a sweep on the Tokyo games and it fell flat - in the past our sweeps on the games, World Cups, or bid votes would oversubscribe within hours of being posted. We used to do lots of games, contests and such, and they were incredibly popular. During past games, the board would be frenetic with dozens and dozens of threads devoted to how all the national teams were going, to all the individual sports, to who the best looking athletes were etc. Now I’m wondering if anyone here’s actually watching any sports at all… most comments seem to be just anticipating what the closing ceremony is going to show. 

It’s sad, I’ve got a lot of fond memories of the board. But we just don’t have the active membership we once did. And I don’t think the way bidding works now will attract new members like it used to. I’d love to be proven wrong though. Do things like support and encourage others to support thinks like the annual logo contest (which I know Yoshi’s still keen to do). As you say, the board what posters make of of it.

It’s been nice seeing a lot of old GamesBids veterans poke their heads in here, though.

Completely understand what you and FYI have said.

So what is the creator of this site or the veteran members who so fondly remember the old days doing about turning the tide of the decline? or are members happy to let it just stay as it is now.

i am not saying this to be critical of any members but to try as. newbie to hopefully work with others here to make the site at least try to get close to some of its better times.

I was actually told by a member to stop posting about Atlanta 1996 in the thread i set up as members were annoyed and fed up with such posts. i guess attitudes like that don't help newbies like myself to keep posting and engaged.

FYI mentioned a lot of my threads have been done before and i take that on board and will try and start some new type of discussions. However my post about trying to become an Olympian, have we got any members who have competed at a games or currently aiming for that? if no, then why my thread not have even one reply or comment. Not all of the decline can be put down to newbies posting stuff already posted.

i look forward to engaging with more members 

H

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think it'll get back to how it was with the "bid" processes as they are now. I look in every now and then, but it's been in decline for a while now. It is what it is.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Olympian2005 said:

Completely understand what you and FYI have said.

So what is the creator of this site or the veteran members who so fondly remember the old days doing about turning the tide of the decline? or are members happy to let it just stay as it is now.

i am not saying this to be critical of any members but to try as. newbie to hopefully work with others here to make the site at least try to get close to some of its better times.

I was actually told by a member to stop posting about Atlanta 1996 in the thread i set up as members were annoyed and fed up with such posts. i guess attitudes like that don't help newbies like myself to keep posting and engaged.

FYI mentioned a lot of my threads have been done before and i take that on board and will try and start some new type of discussions. However my post about trying to become an Olympian, have we got any members who have competed at a games or currently aiming for that? if no, then why my thread not have even one reply or comment. Not all of the decline can be put down to newbies posting stuff already posted.

i look forward to engaging with more members 

H

Here's the thing about this site, and FYI hit on a lot of points..

This is not a site for people who care about the Olympics.  Once upon a time it was more about that, but in recent years, it has been more about logo design competitions and proposed venue plans and all the minutiae surrounding the Olympics than the Games themselves.  There are some posters here that treat sports as just the filler between the Opening and Closing ceremonies.  So if you're looking for discussions and conversations about sport, then you're in the wrong place... and you should go here instead - https://totallympics.com/

That's the site you want to be on and you'll find a ton of people to engage with.  That you're a newbie here is not necessarily why people aren't responding to your posts.  Here's the best way to sum it up.  There are a total of 477 posts in the "Tokyo sports/event discussions" section.  The opening ceremony live chat thread alone had over 500.  That should tell you everything you need to know about the priorities about the community here.  And why if you are looking to talk more about the competition than the ceremonies, head over to Totallympics, which has a ton of activity all the time, not even just during Games time

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Olympian2005 said:

Completely understand what you and FYI have said.

So what is the creator of this site or the veteran members who so fondly remember the old days doing about turning the tide of the decline? or are members happy to let it just stay as it is now.

i am not saying this to be critical of any members but to try as. newbie to hopefully work with others here to make the site at least try to get close to some of its better times.

 

the best times of this site were before you were born ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i mean, mr. x claiming to be a 35 year old teacher whose grandmother died in 9/11 before revealing himself as a 10 year old kid from vancouver who, many years later, lost his virginity to some guy in a hilton stairwell will always and forever be my favorite moment on the internet and will certainly flash before my eyes when i am on my deathbed and searching for one lasting image of human perfection to take with me before i go. 

2003. what a time to be alive and on gamesbids.com. 

i remember clicking on that reveal thread and realizing that nothing would - or could - ever top that moment in my life, and being absolutely correct because life, much like this forum, has been a huge disappointment ever since.

i did enjoy bagging on baron's guided bus tour of istanbul though, which the archive gods have cruelly not seen fit to preserve. at least my review of the qatar stadia is still up.

basically, and other people may disagree but they would be wrong, other than mr. x, the best moments of this forum are the ones i've managed to make all about myself. (it certainly hasn't been FYI and quaker fighting in every thread ever created.)

remember when i changed my name to an unpronounceable symbol but nobody had the font so it was just a blank box?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

F*ck it. Let’s just hijack this thread and make it GamesBids’ swan song. List your favourite moments.

Pyrros storming out of the Beijing OC live chat, accusing everyone who liked it as being anti-Greek

TonyELovesArchiutecture revealing he tipped Beijing to win 2008 when he was four months out of the womb

Rob Livingstone sicking the Mounties on the guy who kept insisting BC Place was set to explode during Vancouver’s OC

Jim Jones being appointed official “goodwill” ambassador for Abuja 2014

The guy who sat on the sandwich on the Toronto subway

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Olympian2005 said:

I was actually told by a member to stop posting about Atlanta 1996 in the thread i set up as members were annoyed and fed up with such posts. i guess attitudes like that don't help newbies like myself to keep posting and engaged.

FYI mentioned a lot of my threads have been done before and i take that on board and will try and start some new type of discussions. However my post about trying to become an Olympian, have we got any members who have competed at a games or currently aiming for that? if no, then why my thread not have even one reply or comment. Not all of the decline can be put down to newbies posting stuff already posted.

Lol, who was it that told you that? If anyone has been annoyingly over-posting about any particular bid city lately, it certainly isn't about Atlanta.

I read this thread earlier this morning, but didn't have time to post. So Quaker has beat me to it. But it does go to what I said yesterday, that people have to have a sense of connection to what you're posting about if you expect some sort of engagement. So if you want to talk about becoming an "Olympian", then perhaps, like he said, this is the wrong place to do it. I was gonna suggest Skyscrapercity, but I've never even heard of Totallympics. But anyway, I think many here, though, would relate more with being volunteers or spectators at the Olympics than actually participating in the Games themselves. But this site in generally has basically been about, in addition to talking about the Bid cities & all of the other tangents that go along with it (i.e. Chirac & Finnish cuisine - ahhh the memeories lol), the pomp & pagentry that go along with the Games. Anything else for the most part, is basically fodder here. There was some discussion the other day, in another thread, reminiscing the days about how this site use to be. 

But to go back to Atlanta for a bit, the majority of the international perception of those Games in general, wasn't a very positive one. Not like Barcelona, Sydney & even London anyway. And Atlanta unfortunately was stuck between two of those Games (that's probably why you got that raspy reception on that matter by that poster). That doesn't mean that Atlanta was necessarily bad, though, but they're not held to such a high regard to those other Games I mentioned. I know you view them as a success story. But to many abroad (& even in other parts of U.S. that's not the south), it's not viewed as such. And with such an international crowd on this site, you're not really going to get the kind of positive interaction that you're looking for when it comes to Atlanta. It takes more than a good legacy plan to make a good Games. Besides, most people are really partial when it comes to a host/bid city when it happens to be their hometown anyway. Especially on this site, that's for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...