Jump to content

Tokyo 2020 News - General


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Why don't you ask the Organizing Committee?  They made the choice. 

Maybe, in some Trumpian world, they will restage the Opening Ceremony to your likes? 

LOL!! :lol:

All because what I said, how does that make me a “Trumper”?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I literally voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016 and Joe Biden in 2020. I'm a registered Democrat. Please don't call me a Trumper simply because I personally do not like Osaka. 

Frankly Baron, I do not understand why you brought American politics into this discussion. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mr.bernham said:

I literally voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016 and Joe Biden in 2020. I'm a registered Democrat. Please don't call me a Trumper simply because I personally do not like Osaka. 

Frankly Baron, I do not understand why you brought American politics into this discussion. 

Her history of mental health issues is well known, yet you chose to call her a twat as if she had done all this deliberately to become even more iconic.

Voting Biden doesn’t make you a good person per se.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jess Fox's gold medal win today has really inspired me. I felt so much pride for her when she won. She deserves it so much and is an exceptional person. She is an idol. I'd love to give canoe slalom a go just a bit too old though!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

I literally voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016 and Joe Biden in 2020. I'm a registered Democrat. Please don't call me a Trumper simply because I personally do not like Osaka. 

Frankly Baron, I do not understand why you brought American politics into this discussion. 

You sure act like one.  Why I brought it in?  Why not?  It's a heavily American attendance here and if I can do anything to put Mr. Swamp down, I will -- regardless of setting!!  Glad to hear you voted Dem!! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

You sure act like one.  Why I brought it in?  Why not?  It's a heavily American attendance here and if I can do anything to put Mr. Swamp down, I will -- regardless of setting!!  Glad to hear you voted Dem!! 

So not believing in the extreme politicization of sports makes someone a Trumper? Say it ain’t so?

And exactly Biden isn’t much better in the case of Canada-US relations, in fact he’s arguably been much worse. Instantly canceling Keystone XL, supporting Michigan’s decision to shut down Enbridge’s transborder pipeline. Demanding Canada reopens its border and then strangely flip flopping when Canada actually introduces such a plan.

And for those asking about bans, perhaps you should understand how international borders work, if the border agent doesn’t like the way you look when entering a foreign country, they can easily deny you entry, you do not have the right to enter any country you aren’t a citizen of. If the US wants to make rules for whatever reason as to who they want or not want in their country, it’s their prerogative, that’s their right as a sovereign nation. We don’t have to agree but it is a right.

Osaka can’t even speak Japanese, so I think we all agree that she is Japanese by convenience and the decision to make her light the cauldron is all political.

And don’t get me started about mental health, incredibly disrespectful, imagine the  many restaurant owners who were forced closed by oppressive governments. Their entire livelihoods gone because the government demanded them to close. And now we have a gymnast and tennis player whining about mental health while millions who were forced closed by the government are having extreme financial problems with not being able to pay bills. What about their mental health? I guess no one cares about them do they?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it’s time to crawl back under the rock where you came from.

There’s racism, disrespect for mental health issues, a touch of conspiracy theories, using victims of a pandemic for your own argumentation…quite the Trumpian approach in that message if you ask me.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

I think it’s time to crawl back under the rock where you came from.

There’s racism, disrespect for mental health issues, a touch of conspiracy theories, using victims of a pandemic for your own argumentation…quite the Trumpian approach in that message if you ask me.

What did I say that was racist?

And I also didn’t deny the virus existing. All I said was explaining what happened, the government forced business to close, yes that’s a fact around the world. Secondly, political leaders along with health experts did not lose a single cent of their salary. 
 

it’s incredibly rich when Osaka wants to run her mouth about mental health issues when real mental health catastrophes are still going on due to covid lockdowns forcing the inability to work. There we have Osaka who gets paid millions swinging a racquet, while real people working essential jobs, that is emergency services, hospitals, truckers/transportation logistics, engineers all do meaningful stressful work to keep our society going in these tough times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, MisterSG1 said:

What did I say that was racist?

And I also didn’t deny the virus existing. All I said was explaining what happened, the government forced business to close, yes that’s a fact around the world. Secondly, political leaders along with health experts did not lose a single cent of their salary. 
 

it’s incredibly rich when Osaka wants to run her mouth about mental health issues when real mental health catastrophes are still going on due to covid lockdowns forcing the inability to work. There we have Osaka who gets paid millions swinging a racquet, while real people working essential jobs, that is emergency services, hospitals, truckers/transportation logistics, engineers all do meaningful stressful work to keep our society going in these tough times.

You’re now loud and obnoxious mate.  I agree, you should crawl back from under the rock you came from because your disgusting racist and mental illness denialist opinions are not welcome here.

Whatever made you think they would be?

You’re making a damn fool of yourself.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not downplaying mental illness, but there’s millions of us peasants who have mental illness and actually do a strong part for keeping our society running. We simply grin and bear it. We don’t have mountain of cash to sleep on like she does and not showing up for work for “depression” will send us out to the streets.

You guys probably think LeBron is an oppressed athlete. He is clearly stupid and all what his contribution to society is, is simply shooting a basketball through a hoop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2021 at 7:32 PM, MisterSG1 said:

What is the general mood over there, are people mostly angry about the games happening? Or are they “indifferent” about the whole thing?

interestingly, media around here in Canada and the US have ignored Japan’s covid stride ands instead focused all energy on games and medal performance.

The media here would have you have your believe that the covid situation is over in Japan.

Far from the festive mood, it's surprisingly quiet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 3:48 AM, GoNutz said:

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/nbcuniversal-tokyo-olympics-make-goods-advertising-1235028563/

NBC will definitely be winning the week, but they're not living up to previous expectations. When you have to negotiate make-goods you know someone somewhere effed up. Looking past the bad time zone, I wonder if this is an indication that NBCU's Comcast driven cable prioritization plans have finally come to the end of the road. There aren't enough OTA/cable/satellite viewers to keep them breaking records. I'm curious how this will affect NBC's future strategy. 

There's a dozen reasons for the drop in ratings, but you have to remember we're still in the middle of a pandemic, so that's not helping the cause.  We need to see an Olympics NOT held in a pandemic before we get a better sense, although TV viewership habits continue to change, so that will work against NBC moving forward.  No one at the network F'ed up.  They got slammed by a bunch of different circumstances that are out of their control for an Olympics that much of the world simply didn't get hyped up for like they normally do.  And that's obviously a crying shame, because Tokyo and Japan deserve much better

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MisterSG1 said:

I’m not downplaying mental illness, but there’s millions of us peasants who have mental illness and actually do a strong part for keeping our society running. We simply grin and bear it. We don’t have mountain of cash to sleep on like she does and not showing up for work for “depression” will send us out to the streets.

You guys probably think LeBron is an oppressed athlete. He is clearly stupid and all what his contribution to society is, is simply shooting a basketball through a hoop.

I think we can file this one under "things someone who is racist but doesn't realize he is racist would say."  Thank you for demonstrating the point yet again.  You sure you can't see the bigotry in this post?  Pretty clear from where the rest of us are sitting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i have to say, invalidating and dismissing two people's mental health struggles while arguing that mental heath is dismissed by society in general is a bold strategy. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, MisterSG1 said:

I’m not downplaying mental illness, but there’s millions of us peasants who have mental illness and actually do a strong part for keeping our society running

Must be an interesting situation though, having a job which is all about being the best of 7,900,000,000 people at what you do, and being a has-been if you aren't the best of 7,900,000,000 people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's time to look for a new job if taking some time off to take care of yourself will send you in the streets. Don't get mad at others who are struggling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Must be an interesting situation though, having a job which is all about being the best of 7,900,000,000 people at what you do, and being a has-been if you aren't the best of 7,900,000,000 people.

Huh?

Tell me exactly how swinging a racquet or shooting a ball into a hoop is necessary to our society.

Unlike the roles of doctors, nurses, engineers, and not to downplay the doing jobs like trucking and construction. 
 

Forgive me for having absolutely no sympathy for spoiled athletes, I’m sure there’s a huge amount who agree with me. Look at how Big 4 sports ratings are falling into the toilet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MisterSG1 said:

Huh?

Tell me exactly how swinging a racquet or shooting a ball into a hoop is necessary to our society.

Unlike the roles of doctors, nurses, engineers, and not to downplay the doing jobs like trucking and construction. 
 

Forgive me for having absolutely no sympathy for spoiled athletes, I’m sure there’s a huge amount who agree with me. Look at how Big 4 sports ratings are falling into the toilet.

Take megaphone somewhere else mate.   It’s not wanted.

Stop projecting this phantom silent majority crap.

You’re very much in the minority here.

No-one wants to read your twisted bitter negative theories.

This is the Tokyo 2020 - General News Forum.   

Unless you have something positive and constructive to say about Tokyo 2020 - General News, I suggest you move on.

… and don’t let the door hit you on your way out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MisterSG1 said:

Huh?

Tell me exactly how swinging a racquet or shooting a ball into a hoop is necessary to our society.

Unlike the roles of doctors, nurses, engineers, and not to downplay the doing jobs like trucking and construction. 
 

Forgive me for having absolutely no sympathy for spoiled athletes, I’m sure there’s a huge amount who agree with me. Look at how Big 4 sports ratings are falling into the toilet.

Necessary? Maybe not, but then again there’s a good argument to be made that entertainment, diversion, inspiration, pride and such are also vital to our holistic well-being. It’s intangible, but not trivial.

Are elite athletes over-valued? Their material wealth and market value is only as much as we, the great masses, the working people, allow them to be. Their worth to their clubs, their teams and their sponsors comes down directly to how many kids want to put their posters on their walls; how many shift workers want to wind down by switching on their TVs to watch them; how many wage earners want to spend part of their earnings on tickets to see them in action on the field, pitch or arena; how many fans will click an internet link to read about them or like an instagram post; how many consumers want to buy the same sports shoes, watches, fragrances etc that their idols use. In other words, WE ultimately pay their wages and determine their worth, and for every cent they make they’re also propping up industries employing millions of people whose livelihoods depend on people striving to be “the best” and by doing so engaging with the the great masses. The market decides their worth, and we - everyone from essential workers and struggling casual shift employees to investment traders and the comfortable middle classes - are the market.

Finally, mental health is NOT contingent on material wealth or lack there of. And while elite athletes may well reap rewards out of most people’s imaginings, they also face unique pressures that WE place on them and which are beyond most people’s comprehension. 

Postscript - just as I posted this, myself and my partner - a frontline nurse working at the coalface of the pandemic - were up and cheering with joy to see an Australian just win a gold medal in the swimming pool. What’s the worth of raising the spirits and putting a smile on an essential workers face?

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...