Jump to content

Tokyo 2020 News - General


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

I feel like we should put MisterSG1 and AA in a room together and see what happens.  That would be some great theater!

We should also do a PuFF V. AusFan. They can duke it out with all their blather, which Olympic Games - LA28 or if BRB32 will be the next "savior" of the Olympic Movement. lol

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

You know, down here in Oz at the moment, we’re probably locked-down and locked in tighter than you guys. We can’t get out at all - even of our homes much less the country, and 34,000 of our citizens are stuck overseas and aren’t allowed to come home. And you know what, when Ash Barty won a Wimbledon two weeks ago, you wouldn’t find anyone who had anything to say against her. Absolutely zero resentment that she was on the other side of the world playing her chosen sport. No, she was feted for having done the country proud at a time when we need a bit of spirit lifting.

And despite the fact our Government’s stuffed up our vaccination rollout, I’m not seeing complaints hat our swimmers, cyclists, sailers, surfers or other Olympic hopes managed to get their Pfizer shots ahead of the queue in order to compete in Tokyo. Hopefully we’ll b celebrating medals soon and they’ll be as feted as any of our past Olympians were. With a captive locked-down audience in the same time zone, I expect these are gonna be a well followed games down here.

I think most of us feel a bit sorry for Japan. They invested so much - cash and emotion - into these games but they’re not going o be exactly what hey old have expected just two years ago. But what’s the alternative - all that investment for NOTHING. ?The world can’t live on dread alone - I think that now even more than ever, it needs a bit of diversion.

But i realise you won’t be convinced. But neither will most here by you. You seem to not regard the Olympics as having any value at all. But trying to convince this board of your views is like a vegan preaching on a Steak Afficonado’s forum. 

1 important thing to keep in mind IMO that has both a positive and a negative aspect to it.

It's hard to ignore the fact that there are different rules in place for Olympians (and everyone associated with the Games) and the rest of Japan's citizens.  Understandable and if I were a Japanese citizen, I would be upset by that.  But I would be upset at the system that created that, not at the people entering my country who are subject to stricter protocols than everyone else.  I've been reading stories about 6 or 7 hour waits at the airport to clear through all the COVID protocols and everything else needed just to leave the airport.  And this is in a country where, to my knowledge, there aren't strict lockdowns and it's more that the state of emergency reads like a bunch of suggestions than enforceable rules.

Maybe it's my arrogance as an American where some of our sports leagues have so much money to throw around that they were able to create a proper and secure bubble for the NBA and NHL playoffs.  And managed the MLB and NFL seasons through the pandemic.  Obviously I understand the size and scope of an Olympics is much greater, but did Japan not plan properly for this?  If their safety protocols aren't secure, then who is responsible for that?  Either way, the idea that all these people are bringing COVID to Japan with them.. well, this is what testing is for, to help prevent it from spreading further.  And from the numbers I've seen, the Olympics have NOT exacerbated the numbers or the percentage of positives anymore than was already there. 

Time will tell.  It's going to be very easy for Japanese to blame the Olympics for their woes.  But the flip side of that is that their leadership might just be pushing through with the Games as a cover to deflect for their poor management and vaccination rollout.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I forgot to add on this:  Japan is smart for banning all fans from the events including the outdoor events...even though the wonderful CDC said that COVID19 can't spread as easily outdoors as indoors, which I don't buy for one second.  I'm fully vaxxed, but I will keep masking up...indoors AND outdoors, thank you very much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Maybe it's my arrogance as an American where some of our sports leagues have so much money to throw around that they were able to create a proper and secure bubble for the NBA and NHL playoffs.  And managed the MLB and NFL seasons through the pandemic.  Obviously I understand the size and scope of an Olympics is much greater, but did Japan not plan properly for this?  If their safety protocols aren't secure, then who is responsible for that?  Either way, the idea that all these people are bringing COVID to Japan with them.. well, this is what testing is for, to help prevent it from spreading further.  And from the numbers I've seen, the Olympics have NOT exacerbated the numbers or the percentage of positives anymore than was already there.

The Big 4 Sports Leagues, for starters can put on a much better show than anything the so called best sporting event in the world could put on so there's that. Even while the Big 4 sports usually use a political racket to sucker cities to build stadiums, the costs of that are like comparing phytoplankton to whales. When you see Olympic events, based on my experience of seeing the Pan American Games and researching how games are usually set in the Olympics. They almost have the feel as if the government is running sports with their cheap graphics and what not.

Even with the money juggernaut the Big 4 is, Canada stuck up a hard no in allowing teams to cross the border constantly. As it is defined as non-essential travel. If you recall, last summer, the NHL Bubbles were held in two cities, Toronto and Edmonton, with Toronto hosting the eastern conference and Edmonton hosting the western conference. There were 12 teams in each bubble with everyone essentially being locked down only to the arenas and hotels. Scotiabank Arena in Toronto I remember had those security fences surrounding it.

Now remember that we had only 12 teams in each bubble, and we're talking about ONE SPORT. I think you understand the huge difference between this and the Olympics, there are many team sports in the Olympics alone that would need their own bubbles. I understand Tokyo is the largest city in the world by metro area, but even then, where do you place all these people in the bubble, not only athletes but media on top of that from all the countries around the world?

The NHL didn't have a normal season at all during 2020-21, because of the hard border restriction, the NHL basically divided the league into 4 mini leagues and had all the Canadian teams in one of the mini leagues. The Toronto Raptors haven't played a game in Toronto since Mar 2020, and as for the Blue Jays, they are to play a home game on July 30.

Even with the MLS, just last Saturday, the first ever Toronto club sporting event involving a US based team occurred when Toronto FC took on Orlando SC in BMO Field.

The fact that these mighty juggernauts couldn't get the Canadian government to budge shows you the absolute serious situation of this pandemic.

NFL wasn't hunky dory either, for the first time ever, there were NFL games on all days of the week at one point last season.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

You know, down here in Oz at the moment, we’re probably locked-down and locked in tighter than you guys. We can’t get out at all - even of our homes much less the country, and 34,000 of our citizens are stuck overseas and aren’t allowed to come home. And you know what, when Ash Barty won a Wimbledon two weeks ago, you wouldn’t find anyone who had anything to say against her. Absolutely zero resentment that she was on the other side of the world playing her chosen sport. No, she was feted for having done the country proud at a time when we need a bit of spirit lifting.

And despite the fact our Government’s stuffed up our vaccination rollout, I’m not seeing complaints hat our swimmers, cyclists, sailers, surfers or other Olympic hopes managed to get their Pfizer shots ahead of the queue in order to compete in Tokyo. Hopefully we’ll b celebrating medals soon and they’ll be as feted as any of our past Olympians were. With a captive locked-down audience in the same time zone, I expect these are gonna be a well followed games down here.

I think most of us feel a bit sorry for Japan. They invested so much - cash and emotion - into these games but they’re not going o be exactly what hey old have expected just two years ago. But what’s the alternative - all that investment for NOTHING. ?The world can’t live on dread alone - I think that now even more than ever, it needs a bit of diversion.

But i realise you won’t be convinced. But neither will most here by you. You seem to not regard the Olympics as having any value at all. But trying to convince this board of your views is like a vegan preaching on a Steak Afficonado’s forum. 

So why should people playing a silly game be ahead of vaccine queue of older seniors who need the vaccine right now? Yes, Australia is in a severe lockdown that resembles a police state and I'm not surprised more people there would be angry on this silly double standard. Athletes can freely leave and reenter Australia while Joe Public cannot. As you have said, there are 34,000 Australians in other countries who are currently barred. How does this not make you angry at all?

So tell me, just because some athlete from Australia swims across a pool faster than someone else, how does that make your life better at all? Olympics cause unnecessary hatred between nations, it is as Peter Gabriel put it "War without tears".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, LinkParkFn said:

I forgot to add on this:  Japan is smart for banning all fans from the events including the outdoor events...even though the wonderful CDC said that COVID19 can't spread as easily outdoors as indoors, which I don't buy for one second.  I'm fully vaxxed, but I will keep masking up...indoors AND outdoors, thank you very much.

This is an act of self-sacrifice as Japan has to give up spectators attending the Olympics. I maybe wrong about this but that what it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, MisterSG1 said:

Olympics cause unnecessary hatred between nations, it is as Peter Gabriel put it "War without tears".

That's true about any sports league, though. NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA, & certainly the UEFA. The FIFA World Cup I'm sure makes the Olympics pale in comparison in that regard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, FYI said:

That's true about any sports league, though. NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA, & certainly the UEFA. The FIFA World Cup I'm sure makes the Olympics pale in comparison in that regard.

The club sports leagues, that is the Big 4, other than when a "Canadian team" gets far and during the Stanley Cup Playoffs, you see nationalism in Canadian media, but not so much stateside. Remember that when the Raptors won in 2019, based on Facebook opinion, the Toronto Raptors were "Team America" as who they wanted to see win.

The NFL can't have nationalism as all its teams are based in the US.....I always prefer to say "based in Canada' or "plays home games in Canada", because using the term "Canadian team" means nothing. Not a single Canadian played a second for the Raptors in the NBA Final against the Warriors.

The nationalism seen in Canadian media is merely a selling point for the networks here to draw viewers across all of Canada and not just the Toronto area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The kind of nationalism you see among the teams in Canada, just this year, historically the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens are bitter rivals. The Canadiens beat the Leafs in a humiliating 3-1 series comeback against the Leafs in the first round of this year's playoffs. Yet, because the Montreal Canadiens are "Canadian", I'm supposed to drop the rivalry and root for the Canadiens? Absolutely not, but so many people fell for it, the CN Tower even lit up in Montreal's colours at one point, same with Niagara Falls. This is the kind of NHL nationalism I speak of that's entirely silly when Canadian players make up a majority or near majority on all teams within the NHL.

Tell me this Quaker, would you root for the Boston Red Sox because you want to see the World Series "stay in America", there's practically no one with that silly thought process and oddly enough those that are quickly get hammered by the media up here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MisterSG1 said:

So tell me, just because some athlete from Australia swims across a pool faster than someone else, how does that make your life better at all?

Just because Sidney Crosby scored a sudden death goal, how did that make your life better?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Triplecast said:

Just because Sidney Crosby scored a sudden death goal, how did that make your life better?

Exactly that, it was just a stupid hockey game. It’s funny how things have come full circle though, Canadian media used to blast the sour face US team winning the silver medal. Meanwhile the Canadian women had an equal sour face when they lost, of course the Canadian media never jumped on that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

1 important thing to keep in mind IMO that has both a positive and a negative aspect to it.

It's hard to ignore the fact that there are different rules in place for Olympians (and everyone associated with the Games) and the rest of Japan's citizens.  Understandable and if I were a Japanese citizen, I would be upset by that.  But I would be upset at the system that created that, not at the people entering my country who are subject to stricter protocols than everyone else.  I've been reading stories about 6 or 7 hour waits at the airport to clear through all the COVID protocols and everything else needed just to leave the airport.  And this is in a country where, to my knowledge, there aren't strict lockdowns and it's more that the state of emergency reads like a bunch of suggestions than enforceable rules.

Maybe it's my arrogance as an American where some of our sports leagues have so much money to throw around that they were able to create a proper and secure bubble for the NBA and NHL playoffs.  And managed the MLB and NFL seasons through the pandemic.  Obviously I understand the size and scope of an Olympics is much greater, but did Japan not plan properly for this?  If their safety protocols aren't secure, then who is responsible for that?  Either way, the idea that all these people are bringing COVID to Japan with them.. well, this is what testing is for, to help prevent it from spreading further.  And from the numbers I've seen, the Olympics have NOT exacerbated the numbers or the percentage of positives anymore than was already there. 

Time will tell.  It's going to be very easy for Japanese to blame the Olympics for their woes.  But the flip side of that is that their leadership might just be pushing through with the Games as a cover to deflect for their poor management and vaccination rollout.

It’s possibly me, but I don’t quite get your point here. You seem to imply that the Japanese citizenry should be upset because foreigners coming in for the games are having to go through far more draconian protocols than the general citizens (and, yeah, I’ve read the reports too about the exhausting and exhaustive protocols to just leave Narita). I would have thought any citizen be happy and reassured that such protocols were in place to hopefully minimise the risk of incoming foreigners exacerbating their domestic health challenges. I sure would be. I’d rather think it was a very necessary step in reassuring the populace that any risks from the games were trying to be managed to minimise them as far as possible. Maybe we think diametrically oppositely on this, but I for one am glad that Oz has a strict quarantine policy for all incoming arrivals, even if it isn’t always as effective as it should be.

i can see your point about the “bubbles” that domestic sports leagues around the world have been forced to introduce. Our leagues do similarly (I think we were actually one, if not the first, to introduce the concept when we restarted our sports comps mid last year).  But i don’t think it’s something that was possible to apply to the case of the Olympics. It’s one thing to isolate discrete groups of teams of up to dozens in each in secure bubbles internally. It’s quite another to think that could be transposed to 200 plus national squads, some of them running into the hundreds (or even over 1000 by the time support staff are added), across multiple and very different sports, with the bulk of those squads only recently selected and many of them already dispersed across the globe competing in various qualifying and lead-up events. This is what Japan has had to plan for. Now, you’d hope that most national teams would already have screened their athletes before letting them embark to Tokyo - perhaps already have a “pre-bubble” in place. But as Japan, you sure couldn’t count on it, and I well understand they would want their own screening and lines of defences before letting them in. I can’t see what else they could have done - short of biting the bullet and cancelling them (which I can see the pros and cons of doing).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MisterSG1 said:

 

And on to you…

7 hours ago, MisterSG1 said:

So why should people playing a silly game be ahead of vaccine queue of older seniors who need the vaccine right now? Yes, Australia is in a severe lockdown that resembles a police state and I'm not surprised more people there would be angry on this silly double standard. Athletes can freely leave and reenter Australia while Joe Public cannot. As you have said, there are 34,000 Australians in other countries who are currently barred. How does this not make you angry at all?

First, the part in bold. I’m not sure if it’s a typo (you added the “not” when you meant you were surmised),  or you misunderstood me, but to clarify, i was making a point that there is NO widespread outrage to our athletes getting their vaccines to compete in Tokyo.

Anyway, our vaccination problems stem a large part from complacency (by both our Government and our citizenry), a dose of vaccine hesitancy (exacerbated by a bit of anti-AstraZenica hysteria) and some poor planning and process implementation.We DO have stocks of doses, we ARE attempting to get at the very utmost our most vulnerable vaccinated - certainly not through want of cajoling, and no elderly or health compromised person is being sent away because “an athlete took your vial of vaccine”.  As to them getting to travel overseas? It’s not like they’re not having to go through all manner of loops, some very draconian, in order to do so. It hasn’t been a red carpet for them all the way. And they’re going to have to go again through the hoops of quarantine on their return. Yes, I can feel for the 34,000 finding it hard to get back home, it’s one of the many sad tales of this epidemic, but it’s not the athletes stopping them from coming. And in Australia, as long as they are not behaving badly, our sports people are given a bit of leeway.

7 hours ago, MisterSG1 said:

So tell me, just because some athlete from Australia swims across a pool faster than someone else, how does that make your life better at all? Olympics cause unnecessary hatred between nations, it is as Peter Gabriel put it "War without tears".

It lifts the national mood. Especially around this time when there’s a great need to lift the national mood. Just as Ash Barty winning at Wimbledon a few weeks ago was a welcome jolt of national comfort when our Laurent lockdown was just starting. Our swimmers’ achievements are a part of the national psyche (just as ice hockey is a part of the Canadian psyche). You could try to psychoanalyse why it’s so and why it’s important - insecurity, projection, appropriated pride or whatever - but Australia banks a lo of emotional energy on its sports reps. It’s not like we’re the only ones - the NZ stock exchange regularly slumps if the All Blacks do badly at a Rugby World Cup, Brazilians mods rise and fall on the performance of their football team etc etc. And at it’s best, it really can drive positive community benefit - Cathy Freeman’s cauldron lighting and Gold a Sydney 2000 was a giant positive advance to the role of our indigenous citizens in our community - just as Ash Barry’s win has Ben as well. You talk of sports causing division and hatred, but neglect also it’s ability to bring communities together and to bridge divides.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's behind a pay wall but the Wall Street Journal is stating that the Tokyo Olympics will be expected to lost 20 billion USD. This is not going to go unnoticed in future bidding cycles.

And the bubble is already broken. Seems like Tokyo could've mitigated the Covid factor by requiring two week hotel or Olympic Village quarantines for all athletes, media, and IOC members.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, stryker said:

It's behind a pay wall but the Wall Street Journal is stating that the Tokyo Olympics will be expected to lost 20 billion USD. This is not going to go unnoticed in future bidding cycles.

That's cheap.  Sochi was $55 Billion; Beijing 2008 was $40 billion (and if 2022 proceeds, they'll amortize some of those infrastructure costs for a 2nd use; so that'll be a bargain).  2020ne only has turned out higher because of the one-year delay and the closure of nearly everything -- with no tourist $$s coming in.  But Japan is rich enough to absorb those losses.  And it will still get the global TV coverage these events look forward to.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

That's cheap.  Sochi was $55 Billion; Beijing 2008 was $40 billion (and if 2022 proceeds, they'll amortize some of those infrastructure costs for a 2nd use; so that'll be a bargain).  2020ne only has turned out higher because of the one-year delay and the closure of nearly everything -- with no tourist $$s coming in.  But Japan is rich enough to absorb those losses.  And it will still get the global TV coverage these events look forward to.  

They are in a recession. They'll absorb the hit but it will be painful. In terms of infrastructure, venues like the aqauatics center, gymnastics arena, rowing course, and Ariake Arena are now wastes since there are no fans. I also expect that the next elections will see Suga's party lose control of the government. I still suspect he expects this and that's why he put off the snap election until after the election as a loss could've resulted in a new prime minister cancelling the games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, stryker said:

In terms of infrastructure, venues like the aqauatics center, gymnastics arena, rowing course, and Ariake Arena are now wastes since there are no fans.

Unless they opened up to the public after the Olympics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ugh, the Olympic Games start in less than a day now, & I don't feel as excited as I have in the past. Just seems like another ordinary day. Hopefully, most of the competitions won't have further problems. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, GoNutz said:

15 hours before they're officially open, and it feels like we're watching Samuel L Jackson turn the breakers off in Jurassic Park. Hold onto your butts everybody!

This description is so perfect for the feeling of the situation.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FYI said:

Ugh, the Olympic Games start in less than a day now, & I don't feel as excited as I have in the past. Just seems like another ordinary day. Hopefully, most of the competitions won't have further problems. 

Not just coronvirus but also doping too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...