Tokyo 2020 News - General

39 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

All it's gonna take is for a competitor in a team sport to test positive, meaning all their teammate become close contacts

Event over

It's inevitably going to happen.  Some event is going to get postponed or maybe even cancelled.  Or some team is going to have to drop out of a competition.  

2 hours ago, iceman530 said:

I know the USA womens gymnast members are all collectively clinching their butts right now.  If Simone had to step off because of the virus, oh man, the optics on that would be something.  

Interestingly, one of Germany‘s leading sports journalists/IOC critics raised exactly that point yesterday:

For all the claims by Bach & co about „safe Games“ and „strict Covid-19 measures“, the true test of these words would be if someone like Biles had to follow the same quarantine rules like some unknown athlete from country X and potentially miss their competition because of it.

4 hours ago, MisterSG1 said:

Again Quaker, your arrogance about this whole thing is astounding.

First you agree the IOC is evil and yet you insist on the games being held in Tokyo no matter what, no matter what Tokyo thinks about this whole thing now. You’re entire selfish interests about wanting to see sports that are supposedly the best in the world trumps public health? Give me a break.

I’m not trying to troll but what good has ever actually come from the Olympics, let’s be honest, I can think of multiple negatives right off the top of my head.

Read the comments of any article about the Olympics in Canada and you’ll see anger about the Tokyo games going further.

I hope any Canadian athlete who was selfish enough to participate in these games gets blacklisted from any kind of employment in the future.

Usually the only people who say "I'm not trying to troll" are people who are trying to troll.  It's like saying "no offense" right before you say something offensive, but think that makes it okay.

If you're looking for a forum to **** on the Olympics, this isn't it.  Especially if you're going to be a complete and total asshole about it.  Any Canadian athlete should be shunned by society?  What kind of garbage is that.  I would love for you to meet up with a Canadian Olympian and see you try and tell them to their face they deserve to be jobless.

So nothing good has come from the Olympics in 125 years?  Really, nothing at all?  The Games aren't being held because of my insistence.  They're being held because the IOC doesn't want to return their sponsorship money.  They're being held because the Japanese don't want to lose face and offer the realization that they mis-handled the pandemic.  And the level of paranoia and fear-mongering that's accompanying these Olympics as if this event is going to kill thousands of people is way over the top.  I wonder if the people making those claims have been following the 2022 World Cup and are aware of how many people have *actually* died so that Qatar can host the World Cup.

The fact you still have a Toronto 2024 image in your signature is probably evidence enough that you shouldn't be taken seriously.  If you want to troll, then own the fact you're a troll.  Certainly wouldn't make you the first place here to fall under that heading.

57 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

Interestingly, one of Germany‘s leading sports journalists/IOC critics raised exactly that point yesterday:

For all the claims by Bach & co about „safe Games“ and „strict Covid-19 measures“, the true test of these words would be if someone like Biles had to follow the same quarantine rules like some unknown athlete from country X and potentially miss their competition because of it.

Well one of the two USA womens gymnast members of the reserve team was positive.  They have been air tight about rumors of them training together, but the other reserve gymnast was apparently absolutely exposed too.  

11 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

Either way, Tokyo's "bubble" is already proving to be craptacular.  The amount of positives already is very concerning, and its only gonna get worse closer to the games

We learned this last year with the NBA and NHL.  Only qualifies as a true bubble if access is strictly controlled.  That's not the case here.  It was never going to be 100% secure

6 hours ago, MisterSG1 said:

I hope any Canadian athlete who was selfish enough to participate in these games gets blacklisted from any kind of employment in the future.

Excuse us!? You are disrespecting their athletes and their families (that's like saying that any FIFA players should get blacklisted from their jobs just because they played in the Qatar's 2022 FIFA World Cup). No good, man.

5 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

We learned this last year with the NBA and NHL.  Only qualifies as a true bubble if access is strictly controlled.  That's not the case here.  It was never going to be 100% secure

Red-teaming it, China will be watching it knowing the optics are bad and that they cannot replicate this.  I think that their COVID bubble will be exponentially more rigid than Japan's.  It could be a very miserable winter olympics for the athletes as a result.

4 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

Red-teaming it, China will be watching it knowing the optics are bad and that they cannot replicate this.  I think that their COVID bubble will be exponentially more rigid than Japan's.  It could be a very miserable winter olympics for the athletes as a result.

That what I was going to say.

• Like 1

and I couldnt be happier that China has to deal with that burden either.  Theyve earned this Olympics in spades, and every logistical difficulty that comes their way as a result. 

Okay, threadjack over, that was my bad.  Back to Japan, who I feel bad for.

38 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

and I couldnt be happier that China has to deal with that burden either.  Theyve earned this Olympics in spades, and every logistical difficulty that comes their way as a result. 

Okay, threadjack over, that was my bad.  Back to Japan, who I feel bad for.

Japan is going to host the 2022 FINA Aquatics Championships one year after the Olympics.

Well the Olympic Games are now underway in Tokyo.....and I am  NOT happy about it and as a lifelong Olympic fan that's something I thought I would never say about the Olympics, but with this horrible pandemic both the Olympics and Euros should have been scrapped....if only UEFA and the IOC weren't selfish greedy clowns, and I'm supposed to like clowns,  but these dumbasses....maybe I better stop before I really have a meltdown..

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LinkParkFn said:

Well the Olympic Games are now underway in Tokyo.....and I am  NOT happy about it and as a lifelong Olympic fan that's something I thought I would never say about the Olympics, but with this horrible pandemic both the Olympics and Euros should have been scrapped....if only UEFA and the IOC weren't selfish greedy clowns, and I'm supposed to like clowns,  but these dumbasses....maybe I better stop before I really have a meltdown..

And you are absolutely right! Before I write a lengthier response to Quaker, let me say that I’m appalled by all of this.

Caanda says to avoid all non essential travel, and the Olympics are essential? Tell that to the potentially thousands of families split between the Canada US border who can’t see each other, yet a bunch of selfish athletes can jet to Tokyo for no real purpose?

1 hour ago, MisterSG1 said:

And you are absolutely right! Before I write a lengthier response to Quaker, let me say that I’m appalled by all of this.

Caanda says to avoid all non essential travel, and the Olympics are essential? Tell that to the potentially thousands of families split between the Canada US border who can’t see each other, yet a bunch of selfish athletes can jet to Tokyo for no real purpose?

You know, down here in Oz at the moment, we’re probably locked-down and locked in tighter than you guys. We can’t get out at all - even of our homes much less the country, and 34,000 of our citizens are stuck overseas and aren’t allowed to come home. And you know what, when Ash Barty won a Wimbledon two weeks ago, you wouldn’t find anyone who had anything to say against her. Absolutely zero resentment that she was on the other side of the world playing her chosen sport. No, she was feted for having done the country proud at a time when we need a bit of spirit lifting.

And despite the fact our Government’s stuffed up our vaccination rollout, I’m not seeing complaints hat our swimmers, cyclists, sailers, surfers or other Olympic hopes managed to get their Pfizer shots ahead of the queue in order to compete in Tokyo. Hopefully we’ll b celebrating medals soon and they’ll be as feted as any of our past Olympians were. With a captive locked-down audience in the same time zone, I expect these are gonna be a well followed games down here.

I think most of us feel a bit sorry for Japan. They invested so much - cash and emotion - into these games but they’re not going o be exactly what hey old have expected just two years ago. But what’s the alternative - all that investment for NOTHING. ?The world can’t live on dread alone - I think that now even more than ever, it needs a bit of diversion.

But i realise you won’t be convinced. But neither will most here by you. You seem to not regard the Olympics as having any value at all. But trying to convince this board of your views is like a vegan preaching on a Steak Afficonado’s forum. 

Edited by Sir Rols

On 7/17/2021 at 11:08 AM, Victorian said:

Why do we have a problem with Bach? I reckon he is great and has done a terrific job as President helping reform for the Olympic movement and making the games for sustainable.

Only time will tell how effective the reforms are. Some seem positive, some I'm less sure of, and transparency has been sacrificed on their altar. The big black mark against Bach will be how he dealt with Russia and Sochi earlier in his presidency and that won't wash off easily.

Edited by Rob.

4 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:  It was never going to be 100% secure

Apart from that being implicitly claimed by the IOC and the Japanese government and organisers of course.

Today at the IOC session Bach put on a show with WHO Dr Tedros even. It‘s all very silly PR.

20 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

The only thing that gives me hope, and maybe this is a myopic view as an American, is that Los Angeles is on the horizon.  And while I'm not counting on them to be the same kind of savior to the Olympics that the `84 Games were, at least I remain cautiously optimistic that it can be successful enough to silence some of the critics, even if it's only temporary.

Ahh, but you know that a certain so-called journalist & Angelina cheerleader, will try & convince you that LA28 will be the next best thing since sliced bread! :lol:

19 minutes ago, FYI said:

Ahh, but you know that a certain so-called journalist & Angelina cheerleader, will try & convince you that LA28 will be the next best thing since sliced bread! :lol:

Oh, I already engaged with him on Twitter.  I almost hesitate to give him the attention here, but...

I feel like we should put MisterSG1 and AA in a room together and see what happens.  That would be some great theater!

7 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Apart from that being implicitly claimed by the IOC and the Japanese government and organisers of course.

Today at the IOC session Bach put on a show with WHO Dr Tedros even. It‘s all very silly PR.

If public relations was an Olympic sport, the IOC wouldn't even have the qualifying standard.  They are terrible at messaging and it doesn't help the cause when the underlying function of their organization is swamped in corruption and greed from the get go.  And this continues to be their downfall, because in a situation like this, they'll want you to hear the positive spin about how they're making the Olympics happen during a pandemic.  But when we get to China next Winter, they'll want to silence any notions of negativity that they tried to push China to improve on their human rights record after 2008 and it didn't happen