Tokyo 2020 News - General

2 hours ago, WD96 said:

Even North Korea (the whole country) was enraged too.

North Korea is going through another famine and Kim became even more stricter with forbidding their people to enjoy anything which is even remotely "western" (which is typical of dictators when they're going through a bad time and don't want their populace to know better alternatives exist). And there's also the fact China is too busy handling their own mess so the aid to NK has stopped, and NK healthcare is completely unprepared to face the virus.

Yesterday's news was shocking but for other prefectures, they have spectators. Little bit unfair.

The minister said spectator numbers at Olympic venues in Miyagi, Fukushima and Shizuoka prefectures will be capped at 10,000, or 50 percent of seating capacity, whichever is lower. She said this is in line with the agreement reached at a five-party meeting on June 21.

Marukawa said an Olympic venue in Ibaraki Prefecture will accept only schoolchildren to whom tickets are allocated under a preferential system.

She added that further discussions will be held on what to do about spectators at Olympic venues in Hokkaido Prefecture.

full article:https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20210709_03/

12 hours ago, WD96 said:

Are you serious? :wacko:  24 Athletes who have exercised their right NOT to attend for one reason or another.  That's news?  While, what's the final count, 9,000 others are going?  NO ONE is being forced to skip or attend the Games.  So what's so great about dropping out?  I'd think more that they feel they are NOT up to their best and would just rather stay home this year -- which is TOTALLY fine, too.

P.S. ANd as Ulu below points out, these are nothing but SPOILED tennis players who CANNOT bring their entourages with them -- so WHO CARES about these spoiled brats?  I don't.    

Edited by baron-pierreIV

6 hours ago, Nacre said:

Which is more important to the Japanese government, looking bad in the eyes of the IOC and Olympic fans in the rest of the world, or looking bad in the eyes of their own citizens?

The Japanese people are going to be enraged (even moreso than they are already) at having to foot the bill for the Olympics when they cannot even attend the events. The logical course of action for the Japanese politicians and head of state is to take every opportunity to show the people of Japan that it's the IOC and sporting federations that are pushing this forward and not them. Especially since they need to distract the public from the fact that they failed to begin vaccinations quickly.

All that is up to the Japanese people.  I am not them -- so it's for them to decide.  Not me.  

Spectators at Olympic events in Hokkaido also to be banned

Tokyo Olympic organizers said late Friday they have reversed their earlier decision to allow up to 10,000 spectators at daytime events on Japan's northernmost main island of Hokkaido, a day after deciding to stage the games behind closed doors at almost all venues due to a surge in COVID-19 cases in the Tokyo area.

The games organizing committee said Sapporo Dome, one of the venues for men's and women's soccer, was to allow up to 10,000 people or 50 percent of its capacity, whichever is fewer, in sessions or time slots that begin during the day.

Hokkaido Gov. Naomichi Suzuki, who had requested that the soccer matches be held without spectators, told reporters the organizers reversed their earlier decision to allow spectators at the soccer venue after talks with Hokkaido officials.

According to the organizers, the reason for the about-face is the difficulty of preventing the flow of people between Hokkaido and Tokyo, which will be placed under a fresh COVID state of emergency through Aug. 22.

With most of the events set to be held without spectators during the Summer Games, the organizers are expected to review their plans regarding volunteers and medical staff.

On Thursday, the committee and other organizing bodies agreed to hold the Olympics without spectators in Tokyo and the neighboring prefectures of Saitama, Chiba and Kanagawa, after the Japanese government decided to again place the capital under a COVID-19 state of emergency.

The prefectures of Miyagi, Fukushima and Shizuoka will allow general spectators.

While Hokkaido will also stage the men's and women's marathon and race walk events between Aug. 5 and 8, the organizers have already requested that the public refrain from gathering along the routes.

Date:July 10,2021

News source:Kyodo News

Linkto this article:https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2021/07/40d74bbe59e2-olympic-events-in-hokkaido-to-allow-up-to-10000-fans-during-day.html

So Hokkaido also gave up having spectators in Sapporo dome.

Fukushima, in reversal, bars spectators from Olympic events

Japan's Fukushima prefecture will bar spectators from the Olympic events it hosts this summer due to rising COVID-19 infections, its governor said on Saturday, reversing a position announced two days earlier by organisers.

Organisers on Thursday said there would be no spectators in host city Tokyo as a resurgent coronavirus forced Japan to declare a state of emergency in the capital that will run throughout the Games, which were already postponed due to the pandemic.

But they said some spectators would be allowed in Fukushima and several other prefectures outside the capital. On Friday Olympics organisers said soccer matches in Japan's northernmost main island of Hokkaido would be held without spectators.

Fukushima in northern Japan, hosting seven softball and baseball games, asked Olympics organisers to ban spectators and the request was accepted, Governor Masao Uchibori told a news conference on Saturday.

The Olympics had been seen as an opportunity for Japan to shine on a global stage after a devastating earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disaster - which destroyed a plant in Fukushima - a decade ago. The Games, postponed last year, have also been hit by massive budget overruns.

Date:July 10,2021

News source:Reuters

Link to this article:https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/fukushima-reversal-bars-spectators-olympic-events-2021-07-10/

These are going to be the most soulless olympics ever. And sadly I'll have to pin the blame in Japan as well. While many european countries, including England, have vaccinated most of their population, Japan hasn't even reached 20%. I expected much, much more for a country known for their organization, but I guess this is what happens when you leave the same bunch of old farts in charge of your country for too long. Pretty sure the UK and France would had avoided this catastrophe to be honest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ikarus360 said:

These are going to be the most soulless olympics ever. And sadly I'll have to pin the blame in Japan as well. While many european countries, including England, have vaccinated most of their population, Japan hasn't even reached 20%. I expected much, much more for a country known for their organization, but I guess this is what happens when you leave the same bunch of old farts in charge of your country for too long. Pretty sure the UK and France would had avoided this catastrophe to be honest.

I agree.  Would have thought Japan would be a good country to make their way through this pandemic.  I guess maybe not.  I really hope the epilogue on all this is to shine a light on how poorly Japan handled everything rather than to pin all the blame on the IOC and the Olympics as if they caused this situation.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

I really hope the epilogue on all this is to shine a light on how poorly Japan handled everything rather than to pin all the blame on the IOC and the Olympics as if they caused this situation.

I think Vietnam too with the SEA games

7 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Japan has good sentiment and PR banked in the west, so their pandemic handling might just barely break through, but it's pretty commonly known about their vaccination reach. This will certainly be an interesting event. And I'm wondering what the athletic demonstration will look like, will we see records fall? I'm guessing that it will be pretty lackluster, but it might be incredible. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 11:00 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

That's why they have locked in the next THREE Summer host cities in place.  The IOC isn't really a "dumb," clueless entity it appears to be on the surface.  

Bach and Coates (remember when Coates went to Calgary and tried to pitch to the local population that the best part was the games wouldn't cost anything?) are clueless when it comes to the WOGs which are dying on the vine yet they continue to say there's no urgency in finding a 2030 host when the only viable option is Salt Lake City which has been well documented as preferring the 2034 WOGs. Maybe they are waiting to see how serious Vancouver's intentions are? 

The Sapporo bid is dead on arrival and I don't see any serious candidates from western Europe jumping into the race.

Maybe they think they could always go to Almaty.

And that poll was taken even before this gaffe…

Tomorrow he‘s going to Hiroshima (and Coates to Nagasaki) in his bid to get the Nobel Peac…I mean to promote the Olympic truce the UN will announce (as if anyone cares).

1 hour ago, WD96 said:

#NoOlympicsAnywhere are a bunch of hypocrites.

There are some of them who probably seriously would love for COVID to be a disaster just to point fingers and blame the IOC.  Rather than rooting for a safe games.

The thing is, many on this site seem to be in the land of sunshine, rainbows, and lollipops regarding the Olympics.

The real situation is, why should a place who invested billions in having an Olympics not be allowed to celebrate it? Yet, the IOC is forcing Japan to go through something no one wants anymore. This is a once in a century situation we find ourselves in, and it doesn't happen everyday. I suggested that the Olympics be moved to next year and was laughed at, when really it would have been advantageous to China as well. Making Beijing happen in 2024 would allow some of the negativity about China to blow over. But no, I was instead yelled at about the meaningless British Empire games of 2022.

Quaker2001 reinforces that negative stereotype about Americans not giving a crap about anything outside its borders. I hate to do this but its true in this regard, just because you got your vaccine months ago because Biden locked down access to the vaccine, doesn't mean the rest of the world got swift access to said vaccine whatsoever. Perhaps Quebec should have shut off your power because of refusal to distribute orders of vaccine? This stranglehold was not removed into Canada until May 1 which at that point, vaccination rate climbed dramatically in Canada.

The fact that much of the world has been locked down and the US has generally had the laissez-faire approach during the pandemic really only means one thing in the competition. Complete American domination at the Olympics like we never have seen before. A public pool has not been open in Toronto for the entire length of this pandemic for example so many athletes wouldn't have access to training for example.

Remember Quaker, do we need a trip down memory lane, Beijing won 2022 against the mighty Almaty. Did you honestly know the capital of Kazakhstan prior to the bid? Nobody wanted the 2024 Olympics except Paris and LA, so the double bid was awarded because of the albatross hosting the Olympics is nowadays. IOC refuses to show any compassion but rather must bow down to pleasing NBC at all costs, may I remind you in how NBC has made bad decision after bad decision regarding the NHL, thankfully they no longer have NHL.

Speaking of NBC, how many of their posse will be allowed into Japan, I suspect possibly over a thousand at the very least.

Japan can easily just close its border now and stick it to the IOC, no athletes, no media, no games.

• Like 1