Tokyo 2020 News - General

53 minutes ago, Hansfromdenmark said:

I am the only one who thinks that Tokyo could get a new olympics soon to compensate for this one, and still use there venues. 2032 to Tokyo if not Brisbane allready was so far. But I actually think it would have been a good idea to do that. But it seems like i am the only one who thinks like that. 

I cant see anyone can blame Japan for the pandemic. So I think they should be given a new chance for the public and to make a great games. 

I highly doubt they'd want another Games ever in their country after this mess.

1 hour ago, Hightowerio86 said:

You can also blame the Japanese Government at fault because they're the one bleeped up and slowed the rollout of the vaccine

Honestly, I agree. I mean, look at the amount of vaccinations the UK has had so far.
Why can't the world look up to them? Oh yeah, cos our PM is an idiot!

1 hour ago, Nacre said:

Unfortunately I think Quaker is right, and a fight will begin to shift blame between Japan and the IOC. If I were the PM or Emperor of Japan, there's no way I would agree to attend the ceremonies and open the games, for example. 

Can't do that.  Japan is going to be on display to the entire world for 3 plus weeks.  They don't want to make it seem like they're anti-Olympics or anti-IOC at this point or else that's going to be a major turn off for everyone.

They'll put on a brave face for this.  It's the fallout afterwards they'll want to deal with.  And by that point, the IOC will be so desperate to put out fires related to China, they'll forget all about Japan very quickly

31 minutes ago, Shiruba98 said:

I highly doubt they'd want another Games ever in their country after this mess.

"ever" is a long time.  But nothing in the foreseeable future, that's for sure.  A lot of the venues and infrastructure for these Olympics won't fit into the plans for a future Olympics, most notably the athletes' village.  That's why a 2nd postponement was never an option because it would have been too difficult and expensive to reset for a 2nd time.

3 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

"ever" is a long time.  But nothing in the foreseeable future, that's for sure.  A lot of the venues and infrastructure for these Olympics won't fit into the plans for a future Olympics, most notably the athletes' village.  That's why a 2nd postponement was never an option because it would have been too difficult and expensive to reset for a 2nd time.

Plus the fact that it would bump even closer or past the 2022 Winter Olympics, whatever YOGs the IOC had planned; the different continental Games, the FIFA WOrld Cup, etc.  

2 hours ago, Nacre said:

Unfortunately I think Quaker is right, and a fight will begin to shift blame between Japan and the IOC. If I were the PM or Emperor of Japan, there's no way I would agree to attend the ceremonies and open the games, for example. 

Nope.  That would be a supreme loss of face for the Emperor and Japan.  They're there, propped up for ceremonial events such as this.  So his appearance will be some sort of salve I guess, for this semi-suicidal event.  

I don't see how they are going to stop protests and negative reactions from the open road races in Sapporo.  

7 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Plus the fact that it would bump even closer or past the 2022 Winter Olympics, whatever YOGs the IOC had planned; the different continental Games, the FIFA WOrld Cup, etc.  

Exactly.  So many sports federations changed their plans to accommodate the Olympics.  FINA and World Athletics now have World Championships next year.  Another Olympic postponement means they would lose an event entirely off the calendar.

27 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

And by that point, the IOC will be so desperate to put out fires related to China, they'll forget all about Japan very quickly

Y'know, that is why most people wanted to boycott Beijing 2022.

31 minutes ago, WD96 said:

Y'know, that is why most people wanted to boycott Beijing 2022.

Wanted to?  Trust me, about 5 minutes after the Olympics end in Tokyo, all eyes will be on Beijing and the massive shitshow that's getting very little attention right now

Just now, Quaker2001 said:

Wanted to?  Trust me, about 5 minutes after the Olympics end in Tokyo, all eyes will be on Beijing and the massive shitshow that's getting very little attention right now

The human rights siutatuon in China was pretty bad compared to Japan.

2 minutes ago, WD96 said:

In Japan, human rights are respected while in China, human rights are violated.

Well, not all the time. Japan has human rights issues from LGBT to disability to gender.

3 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Don't feel that bad for Bach.  He's the head of a corrupt organization that he told the world he would help reform, but that hasn't really happened.  Yes, this is all largely out of his control, but it shines a light on the idea that the onus for an Olympics shouldn't be entirely on the host city/country.  And they'll likely pay for that down the road if they have trouble attracting future hosts (which is probably why they're about to give 2032 to Brisbane without a fight)

Well, if he calls it quits cos he failed to remove the corruption, his successor better be ready cos he or she will have some VERY BIG shoes to fill.

18 minutes ago, Shiruba98 said:

Well, if he calls it quits cos he failed to remove the corruption, his successor better be ready cos he or she will have some VERY BIG shoes to fill.

This is exactly what happend to FIFA.

2 hours ago, WD96 said:

That thread is annoying as hell. Its always the same schizoposting of articles about a boycott which will never happen. Only naive people unironically think a boycott will happen when the IOC has shown us with Tokyo they, once again, only care for money.

9 hours ago, LinkParkFn said:

There are people getting sick and dying from this bastard virus and all y'all care about is ceremonies....unbelievable., yet not suprising for this site.

We're not mad about the ceremonies, I could care less if they're cancelled to be honest. I'm mad because of the IOC and this organizing comittee lies and how they tried to delay the inevitable out of their pure greed.

10 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

I'm mad because of the IOC and this organizing comittee lies and how they tried to delay the inevitable out of their pure greed.

That reminds me of FIFA back then.

5 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Nope.  That would be a supreme loss of face for the Emperor and Japan.  They're there, propped up for ceremonial events such as this.  So his appearance will be some sort of salve I guess, for this semi-suicidal event.  

I don't see how they are going to stop protests and negative reactions from the open road races in Sapporo.  

Which is more important to the Japanese government, looking bad in the eyes of the IOC and Olympic fans in the rest of the world, or looking bad in the eyes of their own citizens?

The Japanese people are going to be enraged (even moreso than they are already) at having to foot the bill for the Olympics when they cannot even attend the events. The logical course of action for the Japanese politicians and head of state is to take every opportunity to show the people of Japan that it's the IOC and sporting federations that are pushing this forward and not them. Especially since they need to distract the public from the fact that they failed to begin vaccinations quickly.

33 minutes ago, Nacre said:

Which is more important to the Japanese government, looking bad in the eyes of the IOC and Olympic fans in the rest of the world, or looking bad in the eyes of their own citizens?

The Japanese people are going to be enraged (even moreso than they are already) at having to foot the bill for the Olympics when they cannot even attend the events. The logical course of action for the Japanese politicians and head of state is to take every opportunity to show the people of Japan that it's the IOC and sporting federations that are pushing this forward and not them. Especially since they need to distract the public from the fact that they failed to begin vaccinations quickly.

Not just the Japanese people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_athletes_not_attending_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_due_to_COVID-19_concerns