Tokyo 2020 News - General

Not surprised, but still kind of sad. And I doubt this will help in any way given the virus is very extended in Japan as well. I honestly just want this to be put out of its misery, its pathetic at this point and most of the japanese population agrees with this. Its what happens when you let a comittee of 70-80 year old boomers in charge of decisions.

7 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Just pull the plug entirely. The recent indoor European athletics champs in Poland produced more than 50 corona cases, the fencing World Cup in Budapest another 30. And both events claimed to have athletes bubbles.

If they couldn’t manage, how will a much larger Olympics deal with this? And don’t tell me every participant and official will be vaccinated by then...

As for Budapest, for the last three days the Hungarian capital has been hosting the European Wrestling Olympic Qualification Tournament.  288 wrestlers across 35 European countries are competing.  If any sport is going to risk the spread of Covid-19, its hard to think of one more likely to do so than wrestling.  Have we heard yet of any positives coming out of this tournament?  

5 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

can we please stop over-reacting as if the only solution is to cancel the Olympics?

Definitely. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Triplecast said:

As for Budapest, for the last three days the Hungarian capital has been hosting the European Wrestling Olympic Qualification Tournament.  288 wrestlers across 35 European countries are competing.  If any sport is going to risk the spread of Covid-19, its hard to think of one more likely to do so than wrestling.  Have we heard yet of any positives coming out of this tournament?  

Let’s see. It’s not that you get tested positive immediately after infection. The examples I mentioned were discovered a few days after competition ended.

On 3/20/2021 at 3:06 PM, stryker said:

So any predictions on what the final number is going to be after the Tokyo Olympics post a massive financial loss?

Didn't postpone already cost them around $2 billion, I'm guessing at least $3 billion in losses. 

Not just losses to Japan and tour operators, but refunds of HUGE TV revenues altho of course, I imagine they got good insurance cancellation policies for this type of outcome.  NBC, of course, learned well from its initial Moscow 1980 involvement.  Even though they bid an astounding amount of $87 mil for those 1980 rights, they had also bought a $4.7 million policy from Lloyds.  When all was said and done, they didn't lose their shirt of $87 million; just the cost of the policy.  I hope all parties learned from that experience.  But of course, the premiums double and triple up the next time around.  

On 3/22/2021 at 7:36 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

Not just losses to Japan and tour operators, but refunds of HUGE TV revenues altho of course, I imagine they got good insurance cancellation policies for this type of outcome.  NBC, of course, learned well from its initial Moscow 1980 involvement.  Even though they bid an astounding amount of $87 mil for those 1980 rights, they had also bought a $4.7 million policy from Lloyds.  When all was said and done, they didn't lose their shirt of $87 million; just the cost of the policy.  I hope all parties learned from that experience.  But of course, the premiums double and triple up the next time around.  

Why would they lose out? The statement is about foreign spectators. It says nothing  about press. What does the Playbook say about media?

Media will be allowed in. They will all be vaccinated. NOCs and people from different teams will be allowed in. Different federations will up who is "official" to a team.

IOC reduces accreditations for Tokyo Games

The International Olympic Committee Executive Board has decided that only people who have essential and operational roles will be granted accreditation for the Tokyo Olympics.

The IOC announced on Friday that the Japanese government said it needs a significant reduction in the number of accredited participants who do not have operational roles.

Top officials responsible for the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics decided this month that overseas spectators will not be allowed to attend the Games due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The decision was made during a five-party organizers' meeting that included the IOC and the Japanese government.

Tokyo 2020 Director General Muto Toshiro said accreditation should be reviewed, but participants with organizing roles could be allowed into Japan for the Games.

The IOC says that following the request from Japan, it has cancelled or reduced the IOC Guest Programme as well as invitations to Olympic athlete legends.

The decision applies to the Paralympic Games as well.

Date:March 27,2021

News source:NHK WORLD-JAPAN

Link to this article:https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20210327_13/

• 2 weeks later...

300 hotel rooms planned for Tokyo Olympic athletes with COVID-19

The organizing committee for the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics is planning to secure a hotel with about 300 rooms for athletes with minor or no symptoms of the novel coronavirus, officials with knowledge of the plan said Saturday.

It is yet another effort from the organizing committee to prevent the spread of the virus during this summer's games, the officials said, adding that the hotel will be used to isolate and treat the athletes around the clock soon after testing positive for the virus.

Those athletes and Olympic staff members who do not need to be hospitalized will be quarantined in hotel rooms for 10 days in principle, said the officials, who declined to be named as the plan has not been made public.

The committee is considering reserving an entire hotel building located a few kilometers away from the athletes' village in Tokyo's Harumi waterfront district, which is expected to cost hundreds of millions of yen, according to the officials.

It also plans to prepare up to 30 special vehicles, designed to protect drivers from infection, to transport COVID-19 patients to the hotel.

Since the Summer Games will draw athletes and officials from across the globe, it is seeking to meet their needs at the hotel, such as offering multi-language services and halal food.

The Japanese government and the organizing body have pledged to hold a safe Olympics and Paralympics following a one-year postponement due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Under the COVID-19 guidelines called the "playbook" released by the organizers in February, athletes will be tested for the virus at least every four days.

But the Tokyo committee has been looking into increasing the frequency of testing in the wake of new virus variants spreading in Japan and other countries, with less than four months to go before the opening of the Olympics.

During the games, the athletes will only be allowed to travel to their competition venues and limited additional locations, and cannot use public transportation unless given special permission.

The second version of the playbook will be published later this month.

Date:11 April,2021

News source:The Mainichi

Link to this article:https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20210411/p2g/00m/0sp/009000c

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1106556/poll-shows-public-against-tokyo-2020

72 percent wants the Olympics postponed or cancelled? Unless it's a highly skewed poll, it's hard not see a majority not supportive of holding the Olympics this summer.

The Tokyo games are going to lose money. There's serious legacy issues with some of the venues.I think a cancellation probably would have been in the cards if there wasn't a report last year that stated a cancellation would reduce Japan's GDP by 1.4%. They are looking at a multi-billion dollar loss but the organizers along with the IOC seem to be following what I call the pick your poison option. I expect once the Olympics conclude, we'll see a Trump type spin job from the IOC about how successful the games were while the respective sports federations will point out that some venues built for Olympic capacity like the aquatics center, rowing course, and the Ariake Arena will take a financial hit due to the downsizing afterwards but argue they would have been needed in Tokyo anyway regardless of whether or not the Olympics were held.

22 minutes ago, stryker said:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1106556/poll-shows-public-against-tokyo-2020

72 percent wants the Olympics postponed or cancelled? Unless it's a highly skewed poll, it's hard not see a majority not supportive of holding the Olympics this summer.

Personally, for the 24% who say postpone again, I think they need to be told that that is not an option, its either cancel forever or hold the Games starting July 21.  How would those 24% feel then, I wonder?

Good informative article by Sports Illustrated

Tokyo 2020 Olympics: High opposition in Japan, but where? - Sports Illustrated

I really think the Tokyo Games should be cancelled, or at least postponed to 2032 as some reported to be an option.

First, Covid situation is still uncertain in Japan which might rise again in the coming months. Safety concerns for the athletes, media and locals.

Secondly, it is not going to feel the same without international supporters and socially distances spectators. 

Thirdly, I suspect for many athletes, they won't be able to train in their 100% capacity due to the various lockdowns which is also unfair to athletes from countries where lockdown restrictions are more harsh. Hence this Games will not see athletes compete to their best ability. 

Lastly, I don't think the world is in the mood to follow the Games to be honest when we are still fighting this pandemic. I for one couldn't care less about the Olympics now. We need to get this crisis over before the world can come together again.

1 minute ago, Triplecast said:

2036 is the next possible date for Tokyo.  I guess they can wait for 15 years.

I am sure IOC can push Brisbane to 2036 as a goodwill gesture to Tokyo given how much they have lost trying to host 2020

9 minutes ago, kevzz said:

I am sure IOC can push Brisbane to 2036 as a goodwill gesture to Tokyo given how much they have lost trying to host 2020

IOC already declared they had no intention of awarding 2036 games 15 years in advance, which makes sense because even 2032 is a long-term award

15 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

IOC already declared they had no intention of awarding 2036 games 15 years in advance, which makes sense because even 2032 is a long-term award

Then pcancel the 2032 bid, thanks Brisbane and others for their interest and give Tokyo 2032.

5 hours ago, kevzz said:

I really think the Tokyo Games should be cancelled, or at least postponed to 2032 as some reported to be an option.

First, Covid situation is still uncertain in Japan which might rise again in the coming months. Safety concerns for the athletes, media and locals.

Secondly, it is not going to feel the same without international supporters and socially distances spectators. 

Thirdly, I suspect for many athletes, they won't be able to train in their 100% capacity due to the various lockdowns which is also unfair to athletes from countries where lockdown restrictions are more harsh. Hence this Games will not see athletes compete to their best ability. 

Lastly, I don't think the world is in the mood to follow the Games to be honest when we are still fighting this pandemic. I for one couldn't care less about the Olympics now. We need to get this crisis over before the world can come together again.

Obviously you could care less if you're here talking about the Olympics.  So clearly you care at least a little.

Yes, we're still in the middle of a pandemic, but when is it going to be over?  No one knows.  But in case you hadn't noticed, sports leagues are up and running all over the world right now.  Yes, in certain places it's tougher for athletes to prepare than others, but there's only so much that can be done about that.

No question this won't feel like a normal and regular Olympics.  But if the option is to have an Olympics that's less than normal and not to have an Olympics at all, there's no debate on that front IMO.  We all understand the strain that puts on Japan, but right now Japanese baseball is operating with limited attendance.  So clearly the rise in COVID cases is not enough to postpone that.  Why must it affect the Olympics?

More than that.. it's easy to say "give Tokyo the 2032 Olympics" but that's going to be more of an imposition on Japan.  11 more years of preparation for the Olympics and all the costs they'll incur?  They will say no to that.  It's a very unfortunate situation that they're in that this Olympics will be tainted by the pandemic.  But it's going to cost more than it's worth to say "you can have 2032" and ask them to pay for that additional expense.  And for the large percentage of Japanese citizens that don't want the Olympics now, I'm fairly confident most of them want nothing to do with another 11 year wait.

It's 2021 or bust for Tokyo.  Perhaps that's an irresponsible decision, but if the NPB is playing games in 2021, why are they okay and not Olympians?

5 hours ago, kevzz said:

I for one couldn't care less about the Olympics now. 

I'm just as excited about the Olympics today as I ever have been.  If they take place, I will be just as glued to my computers watching as I have ever been.  Whether there are spectators or not, it doesn't matter to me, because the Games are really just a big TV show.  And honestly, in the last few Games I've seen large blocs of empty seats. And we've been watching every other sporting event without spectators, really.

That said, I understand the current situation in Japan, and worldwide.  I read today where one Japanese government minister said cancellation is still an option.  For me. that could be is laying the groundwork for an announcement that could come soon.  I will be disappointed, for sure, but life will go on and I hope that we can bring this pandemic under control and that we can have a 2024 Olympics. 

Yet many people in the USA are acting like the pandemic is over.  As of today, 46% of adults in the US have been vaccinated.  I don't count my self as one who believes it under control, but I have been extremely fortunate, as I have worked from home since last March and likely will continue for another year.  I don't have to ever leave my house.

3 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Obviously you could care less if you're here talking about the Olympics.  So clearly you care at least a little.

Yes, we're still in the middle of a pandemic, but when is it going to be over?  No one knows.  But in case you hadn't noticed, sports leagues are up and running all over the world right now.  Yes, in certain places it's tougher for athletes to prepare than others, but there's only so much that can be done about that.

No question this won't feel like a normal and regular Olympics.  But if the option is to have an Olympics that's less than normal and not to have an Olympics at all, there's no debate on that front IMO.  We all understand the strain that puts on Japan, but right now Japanese baseball is operating with limited attendance.  So clearly the rise in COVID cases is not enough to postpone that.  Why must it affect the Olympics?

More than that.. it's easy to say "give Tokyo the 2032 Olympics" but that's going to be more of an imposition on Japan.  11 more years of preparation for the Olympics and all the costs they'll incur?  They will say no to that.  It's a very unfortunate situation that they're in that this Olympics will be tainted by the pandemic.  But it's going to cost more than it's worth to say "you can have 2032" and ask them to pay for that additional expense.  And for the large percentage of Japanese citizens that don't want the Olympics now, I'm fairly confident most of them want nothing to do with another 11 year wait.

It's 2021 or bust for Tokyo.  Perhaps that's an irresponsible decision, but if the NPB is playing games in 2021, why are they okay and not Olympians?

Perhaps I used the word too strongly here. I do care about the Olympics but I feel with the current climate, there are bigger things to worry about like in the UK where I am now -  it is a shame that we won't be able to fully the Games as it is. I don't think one can use the argument that having the Games can be a good distraction, when lots of people up and down the country (and the world) are still struggling with the ongoing pandemic/ economy, mental well-being effects of recovery from lockdowns.

I guess I just want Tokyo to have the full experience. The athletes and the world to have the full experience. Probably that's a bit too much to ask now.

5 minutes ago, kevzz said:

I guess I just want Tokyo to have the full experience. The athletes and the world to have the full experience. Probably that's a bit too much to ask now.

All of us do.  Really.  I don't think we would be here otherwise.  But if the choice is Olympics with no spectators or no Olympics at all, I think I know where most of us will be.   I'll take my no spectator Olympics this year, and hope for something better in 3 years.