Tokyo 2020 News - General

Once again, my assessment, given the circumstances of what Tokyo was up against, they did a pretty excellent job.  Japan and the IOC closed their eyes, held their nose, jumped in, and barring a mega marathon covid outbreak, it got done.  I think the word will be "relief" more than happy, but it got done.  

• Like 1

Nobody round, or at least active. I tried to get a sweep up, but only got crickets as a response. I thought of doing a Team Australia thread, but nobody else seemed to be following the sports. Apart from some general Olympic debates hijacking the Tokyo threads, the only real Tokyo commentary has been ceremony fans freaking out over their stolen spectacles.

Sigh! I’ve enjoyed the games, but sure miss the old games-time carnival atmosphere here.

On 8/6/2021 at 12:24 PM, Quaker2001 said:

Here's the best way to sum it up.  There are a total of 477 posts in the "Tokyo sports/event discussions" section.  The opening ceremony live chat thread alone had over 500.  

Which funny enough, they were also part of. And the closing chat, as well, has almost 400 posts. 

• Like 1

Need an 'angry' reaction to add to posts like the above. FFS.

CJ has also made it so the terminally stupid/bad faith actors can argue we've no place criticising Russia's actions. Of course, that's wrong, this is the system working, finding an individual cheat. But that'll be their argument now.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

And so the most popular post-Olympic event is about to begin…a decade of medal redistributions about to kick off…

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/12/british-olympic-silver-medallist-chijindu-ujah-suspended-for-doping-violation

Imagine if the Covid vaccines accidentally contained banned substances -- ALL the medals would have been nullified -- and holding 2020 would have been pointless!  :wacko: :lol:

On 8/7/2021 at 6:50 AM, AustralianFan said:

Wow, that goes to show how little you know about mental health illness.  

Just to confirm, are you actually equating a physical injury such as a muscle tissue strain with mental health struggles?     

Didn't see this till now. At one time mental heath was considered under physically.  Now you want to put mental above physical.  I consider health, health.

18 hours ago, AmaniS said:

Didn't see this till now. At one time mental heath was considered under physically.  Now you want to put mental above physical.  I consider health, health.

Man, you’re only making it worse.

I suggest you do your own research on mental health, and you mightlearn something.

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Japanese PM Yoshihide Suga has resigned today. Sadly, this is not surprising considering his catastrophic decisions regarding the Pandemic which also screwed up hard the Olympics.

I actually think the only reason he stayed on as long as he did was to keep the Olympics from being cancelled.  

10 hours ago, stryker said:

I actually think the only reason he stayed on as long as he did was to keep the Olympics from being cancelled.  

Yes, but he was also the "Hey, lets do vaccine domestic trials and don't trust the ones already existing, what could possibly go wrong?" guy which caused a laughable vaccination rate for a first world country like Japan. His decisions condemned the games to not have any spectators at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tokyo Olympics cost less than budgeted, need for extra money unlikely

The total cost of the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics was at least 150 billion yen ($1.3 billion) less than expected as the games were mostly held without spectators, helping to cut labor costs and other outlays, officials with knowledge of the matter said Friday.

Cost reductions stemming from the absence of spectators due to the coronavirus pandemic more than compensated for losses on ticket sales, estimated at around 90 trillion yen, meaning there is unlikely to be an additional burden placed on taxpayers.

The total cost, split by the organizing committee, and the central and the Tokyo metropolitan governments, for the Olympics and Paralympics held amid extraordinary restrictions last summer could be lower than 1.5 trillion yen.

The organizers increased the total budget to 1.64 trillion in December 2020 from its earlier budget of 1.35 trillion yen due to the unprecedented one-year postponement of the games over the pandemic.

There had been wrangling over who will make up the losses resulting from virtually no revenue from ticket sales. In the event that the organizing committee fell into the red, the metropolitan government in principle was in charge of covering the deficit, with the central government moving in to help out if that was not enough.

The three organizers are aiming to strike a deal on how to split the total cost by the end of the year.

The 17-day Tokyo Olympics, the biggest sporting event held since the virus took hold early last year, involved about 11,000 athletes from over 200 countries and regions through Aug. 8.

Almost all the venues were without spectators for the first time in Olympics history as Japan wrestled with COVID-19 infection numbers at their highest in many months with Tokyo under its fourth state of emergency.

Despite coming in under expectations, the cost of staging the Olympics and Paralympics was nevertheless sharply up from the figure of 734 billion yen first estimated by Japan when it made its bid in 2013 to host the games.

News source:The Mainichi

Date:12/03/2021

Link to this article:https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20211203/p2g/00m/0sp/036000c

People Worldwide Watched Tokyo Olympics

The International Olympic Committee said Wednesday that a total of 3.05 billion people around the world watched this summer's Tokyo Olympics on television and digital platforms.
   Official coverage on Olympic broadcast partners' digital platforms had 28 billion views, up 139 pct from the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
   "Tokyo 2020 proved to be a watershed moment in the history of Olympic broadcasting," with more content made available through apps, social media and others, the IOC said.
   Over 196 million people used the Olympic web and app platforms for the postponed Tokyo Olympics, more than triple the level at the time of the 2016 Games.
   A consumer survey on the Tokyo Olympics found that 65 pct of respondents saw the Games as a success, while 59 pct said the Olympics represented a "light at the end of the tunnel" of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Date:12/09/2021

News source:JIJI PRESS

Link to this article:https://jen.jiji.com/jc/eng?g=eco&k=2021120900383