Tokyo 2020 News - General

2 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

Probably increased in order to prevent protests or spontaneous trying to interfere as much as possible. While we didn't saw it on TV, the protests outside the stadium during the opening ceremony were quite loud.

that's right protests due to the boycott keeping fans from buying tickets. 

Tokyo reports 2,000-plus COVID-19 cases for 1st time since Jan.

The Japanese capital reported 2,848 coronavirus infections on July 27, topping 2,000 daily infections for the first time since Jan. 15, when 2,044 cases were recorded.

The new cases came after Tokyo registered 1,429 infections on July 26. Tokyo remains under a fourth COVID-19 state of emergency as it hosts the Olympic Games.

The capital saw an average of 631.7 coronavirus cases per day in the first week of July. The daily average for the second week rose to 823.3, before jumping to 1,277.6 in the third week. In June, Tokyo recorded a total of 12,979 new coronavirus cases, or a daily average of 432.6, down from the daily average of 705.8 in May.

By July 26, a total of 2,277 people had died of COVID-19 in Tokyo since the pandemic began in the spring of 2020.

Tokyo has recorded 203,568 infections to date, the most of any of Japan's 47 prefectures. As of July 26, there were 2,717 COVID-19 patients in the hospital, 78 with severe symptoms.

Date:july 27,2021

News source:The Mainichi

Link to this article:https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20210727/p2a/00m/0na/005000c

Serious cases in Tokyo. I'm concerned our government abandon the game before 8th of August.

2 hours ago, Palette86 said:

Date:july 27,2021

News source:The Mainichi

Link to this article:https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20210727/p2a/00m/0na/005000c

Serious cases in Tokyo. I'm concerned our government abandon the game before 8th of August.

What is the general mood over there, are people mostly angry about the games happening? Or are they “indifferent” about the whole thing?

interestingly, media around here in Canada and the US have ignored Japan’s covid stride ands instead focused all energy on games and medal performance.

The media here would have you have your believe that the covid situation is over in Japan.

Google Translate is being messy but seems like a lot of Bento boxes which were originally intended for the Volunteers got disposed of and it has caused some controversy.

https://news.tbs.co.jp/newseye/tbs_newseye4324093.html

[Original] Mass disposal of bento boxes at the Olympics Approved by the Oripara Secretariat
27th 11:19
Regarding the problem that a large amount of lunch boxes for the people involved in the Tokyo Olympic Games were discarded, the Cabinet Secretariat's Olympic and Paralympic Secretariat admitted the fact that "I heard that there was disposal."

In the "News Feature" broadcast last Saturday, we reported that rice balls, bento boxes, and thousands of meals per day prepared for volunteers who manage the venue of the National Stadium are discarded before the expiration date. It is said that the number of volunteers decreased and became unnecessary because the tournament was held without spectators, but the opposition party decided to "procure ingredients with consideration for sustainability" as stated by the tournament organizing committee. I have a problem with the behavior that goes against it.

Regarding this, the Cabinet Secretariat Olympic and Paralympic Secretariat acknowledged the fact that "I heard that there was abandonment as we recognize it." On the other hand, he said, "I don't know the details such as the number of bento boxes that were prepared by the organizing committee of the Games."

The opposition party is pursuing whether or not it has been discarded at other venues.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/nbcuniversal-tokyo-olympics-make-goods-advertising-1235028563/

NBC will definitely be winning the week, but they're not living up to previous expectations. When you have to negotiate make-goods you know someone somewhere effed up. Looking past the bad time zone, I wonder if this is an indication that NBCU's Comcast driven cable prioritization plans have finally come to the end of the road. There aren't enough OTA/cable/satellite viewers to keep them breaking records. I'm curious how this will affect NBC's future strategy. 

14 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

Glad to see that twat Osaka who didn't deserve to light the cauldron get knocked out in Tennis Prelims. Serve's her right. 

mate, you’re the biggest twat of all, coming on here, a Tokyo Olympics forum and sledging a champion and a highly popular person in the host country.

Naomi Osaka has, like many around the world right now, has got internal battles, mental health challenges.

Mental health illness has become the biggest outcome of this pandemic.

I suggest you take a good look at your sick disgusting attitude and while you’re doing that, crawl back under the rock from which you came.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

mate, you’re the biggest twat of all, coming on here, a Tokyo Olympics forum and sledging a champion and a highly popular person in the host country.

Naomi Osaka has, like many around the world right now, has got internal battles, mental health challenges.

Mental health illness has become the biggest outcome of this pandemic.

I suggest you take a good look at your sick disgusting attitude and while you’re doing that, crawl back under the rock from which you came.

Thank you AustraliaFan for saying this. I second and fully support your comment here.

As an athlete myself there is always extreme pressure and personal demons when competing at any level let alone the biggest and greatest sporting event on earth.

Naomi Osaka may have her faults, but she is a world class athlete and Olympian and celebrating her loss like they did is just wrong and the highest level of disrespect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olympian2005 said:

Thank you AustraliaFan for saying this. I second and fully support your comment here.

As an athlete myself there is always extreme pressure and personal demons when competing at any level let alone the biggest and greatest sporting event on earth.

Naomi Osaka may have her faults, but she is a world class athlete and Olympian and celebrating her loss like they did is just wrong and the highest level of disrespect.

In the last few hours, we’ve also seen another champion in Simone Biles of the USA withdraw due to challenges with mental health. 

Both Naomi and Simone are absolute champions.

To disrespect either Naomi or Simone or anyone going through a rough time is not on.

Only cowards do that, kick someone while they’re down - looking at you mr.bernham

Wishing Naomi and Simone well and looking forward to their recoveries and competing again at the highest level or whatever comes next for each of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob. said:

You're a prat

Yeah I am. 

Look, facing disappointment in anything is devastating, I get that. I'm sorry her Olympic journey has ended early, and I wish her the best moving forward and hope she is able to recover and return and succeed in Paris. 

That being said, I personally was not a fan of how she has been turned into this strange globalist icon. Maybe it's just my own personal political feelings and personal disagreements with how she responded to the honor of lighting the cauldron. 

2 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

Yeah I am. 

Look, facing disappointment in anything is devastating, I get that. I'm sorry her Olympic journey has ended early, and I wish her the best moving forward and hope she is able to recover and return and succeed in Paris. 

That being said, I personally was not a fan of how she has been turned into this strange globalist icon. Maybe it's just my own personal political feelings and personal disagreements with how she responded to the honor of lighting the cauldron. 

And I agree with you, and I’m sure there many others who do as well, the concept of a silent majority.

Inserting politics into the Big 4 sports leagues has had bad consequences, last year’s NBA Final was the lowest rated on record, and this year’s wasn’t much better. I’m not much of a fan of the Canadian nationalism that sometimes surrounds the Raptors, but the fact that they had strong support from all across Canada in 2019, and then they have the nerve to kneel during O Canada is in my opinion a big middle finger to Canada.

Osaka is merely Japanese by convenience, and I’m willing to bet everything that the vast majority of Japan, already angry enough about the Olympics this year that Osaka lighting the cauldron was a kick to the groin.

Who da f*ck cares if Osaka is "merely Japanese by convenience"?  She was chosen to light the cauldron and that's that!! Some jealous Trumpturds here!!  NYA! NYA!  :P  I love that Naomi Osaka, of all the half-Japanese folks, was CHOSEN TO LIGHT THE CAULDRON -- which Julian Lennon or Rocky Aoki wasn't even chosen.  NYA! NYA! NYA!!  :P

6 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Who da f*ck cares if Osaka is "merely Japanese by convenience"?  She was chosen to light the cauldron and that's that!! Some jealous Trumpturds here!!  NYA! NYA!  :P  I love that Naomi Osaka, of all the half-Japanese folks, was CHOSEN TO LIGHT THE CAULDRON -- which Julian Lennon or Rocky Aoki wasn't even chosen.  NYA! NYA! NYA!!  :P

Fine then, why not someone like Ichiro Suzuki, extremely well known in the sports world, and is not a completely political choice.

11 minutes ago, MisterSG1 said:

Fine then, why not someone like Ichiro Suzuki, extremely well known in the sports world, and is not a completely political choice.

Why don't you ask the Organizing Committee?  They made the choice. 

Maybe, in some Trumpian world, they will restage the Opening Ceremony to your likes? 

LOL!! :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

4 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Why don't you ask the Organizing Committee?  They made the choice. 

Maybe, in some Trumpian world, they will restage the Opening Ceremony to your likes? 

LOL!! :lol:

All because what I said, how does that make me a “Trumper”?

I literally voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016 and Joe Biden in 2020. I'm a registered Democrat. Please don't call me a Trumper simply because I personally do not like Osaka. 

Frankly Baron, I do not understand why you brought American politics into this discussion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr.bernham said:

I literally voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016 and Joe Biden in 2020. I'm a registered Democrat. Please don't call me a Trumper simply because I personally do not like Osaka. 

Frankly Baron, I do not understand why you brought American politics into this discussion. 

Her history of mental health issues is well known, yet you chose to call her a twat as if she had done all this deliberately to become even more iconic.

Voting Biden doesn’t make you a good person per se.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

You sure act like one.  Why I brought it in?  Why not?  It's a heavily American attendance here and if I can do anything to put Mr. Swamp down, I will -- regardless of setting!!  Glad to hear you voted Dem!! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

You sure act like one.  Why I brought it in?  Why not?  It's a heavily American attendance here and if I can do anything to put Mr. Swamp down, I will -- regardless of setting!!  Glad to hear you voted Dem!! 

So not believing in the extreme politicization of sports makes someone a Trumper? Say it ain’t so?

And exactly Biden isn’t much better in the case of Canada-US relations, in fact he’s arguably been much worse. Instantly canceling Keystone XL, supporting Michigan’s decision to shut down Enbridge’s transborder pipeline. Demanding Canada reopens its border and then strangely flip flopping when Canada actually introduces such a plan.

And for those asking about bans, perhaps you should understand how international borders work, if the border agent doesn’t like the way you look when entering a foreign country, they can easily deny you entry, you do not have the right to enter any country you aren’t a citizen of. If the US wants to make rules for whatever reason as to who they want or not want in their country, it’s their prerogative, that’s their right as a sovereign nation. We don’t have to agree but it is a right.

Osaka can’t even speak Japanese, so I think we all agree that she is Japanese by convenience and the decision to make her light the cauldron is all political.

And don’t get me started about mental health, incredibly disrespectful, imagine the  many restaurant owners who were forced closed by oppressive governments. Their entire livelihoods gone because the government demanded them to close. And now we have a gymnast and tennis player whining about mental health while millions who were forced closed by the government are having extreme financial problems with not being able to pay bills. What about their mental health? I guess no one cares about them do they?

I think it’s time to crawl back under the rock where you came from.

There’s racism, disrespect for mental health issues, a touch of conspiracy theories, using victims of a pandemic for your own argumentation…quite the Trumpian approach in that message if you ask me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1