Tokyo 2020 News - General

31 minutes ago, MisterSG1 said:

Again you are deflecting, you know the aptly named “Canada Line” wouldn’t have happened without the Olympics, notice it’s called the Canada Line, as in reminder in who actually built that line?

That’s right, taxpayers across Canada. I have absolutely no interest in ever going to Vancouver in my life.

So you think gentrification is a good thing, that just makes more property unaffordable, not a good thing my friend.

Toronto had a realistic shot to get 2028, but we told the IOC as city and province to go F off. 

I hear what you’re saying but that’s your choice mate.

Whether you like it or not, a 2030 or 2034 Canadian Winter Olympics Bid is going to develop of it’s own accord.  Whether or not you want to go to Vancouver or Calgary or Quebec City or not or whether you support Olympics of any kind is irrelevant - unless a majority of citizens vote against an Olympic bid.

23 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Buddy,the Tokyo Government has banned spectators in ticketed seating at Tokyo 2020 including the Opening Ceremony for health reasons because of the pandemic.

That’s why the seating is empty on tv screens you are watching, not because of any boycott by spectators. 

The only people allowed in at Tokyo 2020 venues seating are staff, coaches, officials - that’s it.

totally untrue buddy.

1 hour ago, MisterSG1 said:

Again you are deflecting, you know the aptly named “Canada Line” wouldn’t have happened without the Olympics, notice it’s called the Canada Line, as in reminder in who actually built that line?

That’s right, taxpayers across Canada. I have absolutely no interest in ever going to Vancouver in my life.

The Canadian government invests in Vancouver which increase Canada's GDP, which in turn creates more tax revenue for the government, which can be spent across Canada including in Toronto on stuff like the 2015 Pan American Games.

Are you opposed to all federally-funded projects in Canada?

1 hour ago, MisterSG1 said:

So you think gentrification is a good thing, that just makes more property unaffordable, not a good thing my friend.

higher wages in a community = higher cost of living in that community

I really wish that wasn't true, but it is. A growing economy in both Vancouver and London's east end inevitably means higher prices to live in those places. 

1 hour ago, krow said:

totally untrue buddy.

Mate, you’re living in a parrallel universe.

Everyone knows the spectators are banned from the Tokyo Olympics.  The decision was taken by the Japanese Government before the Olympics started. 

Sorry buddy, but you must surely be the only person on planet who does not know that.

9 hours ago, iceman530 said:

Im wondering about a diplomatic ploy might be at play here.  Maybe Im reading it wrong (and would be happy as hell if I am because I think a Sapporo Winter Olympics would be absolutely fantastic), but maybe there could be a gentlemen's agreement that if Tokyo grins and bears it, Sapporo 2030 is theirs if they want it, expedited, no strings attached.  If I was the IOC, thats exactly how I would play it.  

After the most expensive Olympics in history as well as the one with the biggest financial loss there's no way Japan will want an Olympics for decades. After the Olympics, Japan is set to hold national elections in which Suga's Liberal Democrats are widely expected to be swept our of power. More than likely the new PM will cancel the Sapporo bid. 

1 hour ago, FYI said:

Wait, what. In what alternate reality was this? Since the IOC automatically awarded Los Angeles the 2028 Olympics in a double-allocation back in 2017.

At the end of the 2015 Pan American Games, it was floated by the mayor to bid for 2024, but after finding out an application fee of over 25 million that the IOC demanded just to study the idea, Toronto and Ontario rightfully didn’t entertain the idea any further looking at the debt of Ontario and as well as how the 2022 Olympic bidding fiasco happened.

Since we knew Paris got 2024 no matter what, this would at least have had led to a potential race between Toronto and Los Angeles for 2028 but that is the past.

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

I hear what you’re saying but that’s your choice mate.

Whether you like it or not, a 2030 or 2034 Canadian Winter Olympics Bid is going to develop of it’s own accord.  Whether or not you want to go to Vancouver or Calgary or Quebec City or not or whether you support Olympics of any kind is irrelevant - unless a majority of citizens vote against an Olympic bid.

Ha ha, in Canada it doesn’t matter what us peasants think, government always knows best. You think we wanted to forcefully switch to metric? (which we haven’t fully still because future governments killed the metric commission)

You think the vast majority of people wanted O Canada to change “thy sons” to “of us”. It doesn’t matter what we think, government does what it wants to do.

And especially Alberta, I’m pretty well sure the vast majority there oppose a Winter Olympics. After all, 2026 fell through. As for Quebec City, unless rules have changed, tell me where the downhill event will be held.

11 minutes ago, MisterSG1 said:

Ha ha, in Canada it doesn’t matter what us peasants think, government always knows best. You think we wanted to forcefully switch to metric? (which we haven’t fully still because future governments killed the metric commission)

You think the vast majority of people wanted O Canada to change “thy sons” to “of us”. It doesn’t matter what we think, government does what it wants to do.

And especially Alberta, I’m pretty well sure the vast majority there oppose a Winter Olympics. After all, 2026 fell through. As for Quebec City, unless rules have changed, tell me where the downhill event will be held.

sounds like you’re angry with the government there

1 hour ago, Nacre said:

The Canadian government invests in Vancouver which increase Canada's GDP, which in turn creates more tax revenue for the government, which can be spent across Canada including in Toronto on stuff like the 2015 Pan American Games.

Are you opposed to all federally-funded projects in Canada?

higher wages in a community = higher cost of living in that community

I really wish that wasn't true, but it is. A growing economy in both Vancouver and London's east end inevitably means higher prices to live in those places. 

You think I wanted the Pan Am games? Other than a velodrome in Milton and a few swimming pools, in which the majority now belong to a university campus, what good did the Pan Am Games do?

Forget covid for a second but I’ll tell you what it did do, made people avoid the city as much as possible for the length the lane restrictions were in effect. Ask businesses in downtown Toronto if the games were a positive effect for them. More or less the usual patrons if they could avoid toronto stayed away and thus the businesses suffered.

But I digress, as for national projects, it’d be nice if they did massive rapid transit expansion and not that pointless light rail. Toronto has the busiest subway line in North America, some say the Lex is busier, but remember that the Lex mostly uses a four track system, we do not.

In fact showing anyone who isn’t familiar with Toronto our subway diagram leads to shock. “That’s it?!?! Thought they’d have a much bigger system than that!”

Toronto indeed has a transportation crisis not only with road traffic but transit congestion as well, one could arguably say the federal government is indirectly responsible for this but they always dance around it. Instead they build massive freeway projects in New Brunswick, where the AADT is under 3,000 in some places. 

1 minute ago, AustralianFan said:

sounds like you’re angry with the government there

As for what I mean with metric, my license may show my height in cm but I have no clue what it is, I always say I’m 5’ 9” (5 foot 9). And measure myself in pounds. Go look at any Canadian floor plan for a house, it’s in imperial measurements.

It’s also a place where they may speak of the temperature outside in Celsius, but you’d have to look hard to find a Canadian who has their oven in Celsius. If one owns a pool or hot tub, most likely they’ll be talking Fahrenheit.

The main message shown by the private sector throughout COVID was to stay 6 feet away.

Metric system in all English countries was introduced by force, nothing else. Yes the metric system is great for doing scientific or engineering calculations, for example with how density of water allows for a seamless conversion of mass and volume. But I’m sure most of us aren’t speaking about that in everyday life.

A foot is a much easier frame of reference to visualize compared to a metre, and that’s me who was taught in school with metric only measurements. Funny how the school system has now reintroduced the imperial system because of reluctance of society to change.

Just now, MisterSG1 said:

As for what I mean with metric, my license may show my height in cm but I have no clue what it is, I always say I’m 5’ 9” (5 foot 9). And measure myself in pounds. Go look at any Canadian floor plan for a house, it’s in imperial measurements.

It’s also a place where they may speak of the temperature outside in Celsius, but you’d have to look hard to find a Canadian who has their oven in Celsius. If one owns a pool or hot tub, most likely they’ll be talking Fahrenheit.

The main message shown by the private sector throughout COVID was to stay 6 feet away.

Metric system in all English countries was introduced by force, nothing else. Yes the metric system is great for doing scientific or engineering calculations, for example with how density of water allows for a seamless conversion of mass and volume. But I’m sure most of us aren’t speaking about that in everyday life.

A foot is a much easier frame of reference to visualize compared to a metre, and that’s me who was taught in school with metric only measurements. Funny how the school system has now reintroduced the imperial system because of reluctance of society to change.

You are in the wrong thread.   This is Tokyo 2020.   Go here:   

You are in the wrong thread.

28 minutes ago, MisterSG1 said:

this would at least have had led to a potential race between Toronto and Los Angeles for 2028 but that is the past.

OMFG - I've said this here in the past before, but I would've f'n paid to see such a match-up on these boards! It would've made any previous Olympic bid race on these threads PALE in comparison, to say the least! I can just envision the forums here on that very topic now, & the participators, in a 'parallel universe'!! :lol:

some want you to believe it's "illegal" to buy a ticket to a tokyo event

others know better.

you think this whole stadium is empty because it's "illegal"? if you can't break laws, why are there jails? (or as mister said, if governments don't do exactly what you want as soon as it pops in your head, why are there governments?)

wake up sheeple.

AJuy2le.png

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MisterSG1 said:

i noticed the weight wasn't included there, bae...

12 minutes ago, FYI said:

OMFG - I've said this here in the past before, but I would've f'n paid to see such a match-up on these boards! It would've made any previous Olympic bid race on these threads PALE in comparison, to say the least! I can just envision the forums here on that very topic now, & the participators, in a 'parallel universe'!! :lol:

And it makes sense. Rio did host a Pan Am in 2007 and held the Summer Games of course in 2016.

Assuming Toronto fails in 2024 and tries again in 2028 (loss that would have happened due to the Paris Centennial) it could be said that in the eyes of the IOC that a Toronto bid should hold more weight. There has never been one there before. Considering that this happened before the quagmire that was Rio 2016 probably would have created indifference or opposition to a bid. But this is all speculation.

Speaking about Montreal 1976 and the boondoggle that was still angers people after all these years, Montreal was a disaster.

4 minutes ago, krow said:

others know better.

you think this whole stadium is empty because it's "illegal"? if you can't break laws, why are there jails? (or as mister said, if governments don't do exactly what you want as soon as it pops in your head, why are there governments?)

wake up sheeple.

AJuy2le.png

Just stop, all venues would be restricted to those access lanyard holders. Which only those “connected” to the Olympics will have.

You can’t simply buy a ticket for an event and go.

46 minutes ago, krow said:

others know better.

wake up sheeple.

AJuy2le.png

Gabbing on about illegal stadiums ?  wtf?    This is not conspiracy theory central.

Seruously, what on earth are you are you on mate?  You’ve been smoking it too much whatever it is and you need to get some sleep.

Tickets puchased for Tokyo 2020 will be refunded due to the spectator ban.

Back to Japan . . .

The original plan was for 50,850 security personnel during the games. I thought that one saving grace of having no spectators would be a reduction in that number. Yet somehow they have actually increased the number of security staff to 59,000!

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASP7J5KK4P7GUTIL00H.html?ref=tw_asahi

(link in Japanese)

The escalating security costs are going to make it impossible for future hosts to avoid heavy financial losses even without risks such as Covid.

Probably increased in order to prevent protests or spontaneous trying to interfere as much as possible. While we didn't saw it on TV, the protests outside the stadium during the opening ceremony were quite loud.