Tokyo 2020 News - General

2 minutes ago, yoshi said:

That'd be a very good deal for all involved - offer a more favourable financial arrangement to help seal the support if need be. If it's a plausible option and a soon-ish summer games in Tokyo isn't, then it's time to use that new bidding process and get it done. Even saves the Americans their Salt Lake City/LA problem. 

Yup.  The SMART thing to do is just to literally hand it to Sapporo right now if all goes off nicely.  No bidding, no sensationalist crap, none of the usual logistical crap,  no nothing.  Just.  Lock. It. In.  Just give it to them immediately so no "NOlympic" movement even gets started.  

38 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

Im wondering about a diplomatic ploy might be at play here.  Maybe Im reading it wrong (and would be happy as hell if I am because I think a Sapporo Winter Olympics would be absolutely fantastic), but maybe there could be a gentlemen's agreement that if Tokyo grins and bears it, Sapporo 2030 is theirs if they want it, expedited, no strings attached.  If I was the IOC, thats exactly how I would play it.  

The problem is that the Japanese probably don't want the IOC, not that the IOC doesn't want Japan. Bach might have given them another winter games under the table before this ever started (just like they did for LA and Brisbane). 

the japanese don't want the olympics i just saw beach volleyball and there wasn't a single person in the stands they couldn't sell even 1 ticket. how embarrassing. maybe a mass boycott. even athens sold 1 ticket. 

39 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

Yup.  The SMART thing to do is just to literally hand it to Sapporo right now if all goes off nicely.  No bidding, no sensationalist crap, none of the usual logistical crap,  no nothing.  Just.  Lock. It. In.  Just give it to them immediately so no "NOlympic" movement even gets started.  

It’s too late unfortunately, the “NOlympic”  movement has been well underway for some months now

20 minutes ago, Nacre said:

The problem is that the Japanese probably don't want the IOC, not that the IOC doesn't want Japan. Bach might have given them another winter games under the table before this ever started (just like they did for LA and Brisbane). 

There is no avoiding it, the Olympic host selection process has changed permanently for both Summer and Winter Games.  

Brisbane was merely the first.

But the new selection process is not going away, it’s here to stay.

Chaired by IOC Member Octavian Morariu, the mission of the Future Host Commission of the Olympic Winter Games is to explore, create and oversee interest in future Olympic Winter Games and Winter Youth Olympic Games.

Kristin Kloster Aasen chairs the Future Host Commission for the Games of the Olympiad whose mission is to explore, create and oversee interest in future Summer Olympic Games and Summer Youth Olympic Games.

Candidates enter Continuous Dialogue for either future Winter or Summer Games.

That’s where Sapporo is right now - in Continuous Dialogue for future Winter Olympic Games.

As we know,  it’s looking highly doubftul if the Japanese Government would continue to back a 2030 Sapporo Winter Games.  For 2034? Who knows.

It’s quite probable that,given the anti-Olympics opinion polls in Japan right now, that Sapporo may decide to opt out of 2030 consideration but remain in Continuous Dialogue for 2034.

This scenario then makes Salt Lake City’s candidature looking much better if the sponsorship issue can be sorted out with LA 2028.

For 2030, other interested candidates are Pyranees-Barcelona and Vancouver or Quebec City.  

If I was the Canadian Olympic Committee, I wouldn’t delay in endorsing one of these because SLC’s chances are looking rosier.

25 minutes ago, krow said:

the japanese don't want the olympics i just saw beach volleyball and there wasn't a single person in the stands they couldn't sell even 1 ticket. how embarrassing. maybe a mass boycott. even athens sold 1 ticket. 

No mass boycott.

All spectators are banned from all events at Tokyo 2020 because of the pandemic.

Can you please stop spamming these threads with all of your confirmation bias BS whenever someone says anything about the real circumstances surrounding the Brisbane 2032 coronation, geez (this is the Tokyo 2020 news thread). :rolleyes: Even Annastasia P. knows exactly how it all went down. 

2 minutes ago, FYI said:

Can you please stop spamming these threads with all of your confirmation bias BS whenever someone says anything about the real circumstances surrounding the Brisbane 2032 coronation, geez (this is the Tokyo 2020 news thread). :rolleyes: Even Annastasia P. knows exactly how it all went down. 

Read the discussion thread buddy, directly contributing to the previous two posts. 

Re-read it.

4 minutes ago, FYI said:

This discussion was about what’s happening with Tokyo 2020 right now and “handing Sapporo the 2030 Winter Games”.

But there’s no avoiding the new Olympic host selection process, including you.

The Olympic host selection process has changed permanently for both Summer and Winter Games.  

Candidates enter Continuous Dialogue for either future Winter or Summer Games.

It’s quite probable that,given the anti-Olympics opinion polls in Japan right now, that Sapporo may decide to opt out of 2030 consideration but remain in Continuous Dialogue for 2034.

You’re posting about the Future Host Commission for the Games of the Olympiad like you always do when someone mentions Brisbane & it’s bid circumstances. You even started out by saying Brisbane, so thank you very much.

I knew the moment when someone else mentioned that Brisbane was given the Games ‘underneath the table’ that you’d be coming around spouting otherwise, ‘buddy’.

Sorry folks, but the glitzy pictures and dramatic stories the Olympics are always producing might still draw audiences (especially when nightlife is non existing and not much else to do), but people can still at the same time ask the question whether it all, the costs, the health risks, etc, is really worth it. I heard a comment that Japanese people - now that the athletes are there despite all protesting - want to make it a good experience as they are the least to blame. But of course they are still angry at Bach, Suga, etc.

The IOC has no real answer or even interest to convince people of its product and the Japanese government just hopes and prays basically.

4 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

Sorry folks, but the glitzy pictures and dramatic stories the Olympics are always producing might still draw audiences (especially when nightlife is non existing and not much else to do), but people can still at the same time ask the question whether it all, the costs, the health risks, etc, is really worth it. I heard a comment that Japanese people - now that the athletes are there despite all protesting - want to make it a good experience as they are the least to blame. But of course they are still angry at Bach, Suga, etc.

The IOC has no real answer or even interest to convince people of its product and the Japanese government just hopes and prays basically.

Agree.     At times like this, both the Japanese organisers and the IOC will just want to now get through to the Paralympics Closing Ceremony in one piece.

39 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

If I was the Canadian Olympic Committee, I wouldn’t delay in endorsing one of these because SLC’s chances are looking rosier.

Tell me why the COC should even entertain the idea, tell me as a Torontonian (I don’t technically live in Toronto proper but close enough) as to what benefit my tax money will receive by having the Winter Olympics in Calgary again. I used to think that having Olympics in Toronto would be an excuse to actually build real rapid transit lines but then I realize, why does it require an Olympics to cough up money for something we desperately need anyways?

3 minutes ago, MisterSG1 said:

Tell me why the COC should even entertain the idea, tell me as a Torontonian (I don’t technically live in Toronto proper but close enough) as to what benefit my tax money will receive by having the Winter Olympics in Calgary again. I used to think that having Olympics in Toronto would be an excuse to actually build real rapid transit lines but then I realize, why does it require an Olympics to cough up money for something we desperately need anyways?

That is an issue for the Canadian Olympic Committee and the levels of Canadian Government.

OOF, Triathalon just had the first big oopsiedaisy of the olympics.

A boat was square in the way when the notification to start was given.  It was obstructing half of the triathalon athletes, and many of the athletes already in the water had swam up to a quarter of a mile before being told to go back.  That.  Sucks.  

1 hour ago, MisterSG1 said:

That’s a fair question. In an ideal world infrastructure delivery should always be a high priority for governments. But … politics. We’re usually talking about big ticket expenditures completing against other priorities and interest groups who think their pet projects should be at the head of the queue. Then there’s how to actually raise the funds. The thing a Games can do very well is act as a circuit breaker to overcome many of these political and administrative obstacles, set non postponable deadlines and open the floodgates to getting national support to achieve local needs.

i don’t want to do an AustralianFan spam, but this link of his is actually a good example of how that process can work for communities:  

ABC News Australia - A bunch of mayors wanted better trains, so they won  Brisbane the 2032 Olympics - July 25, 2021

2 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

That’s where Sapporo is right now - in Continuous Dialogue for future Winter Olympic Games.

My point was actually the opposite. The IOC probably would have given Sapporo a future winter games already if the Japanese wanted them enough to promise to support a bid. They did not before, and Sapporo certainly will not be in "continuous dialogue" about hosting a winter games after the economic disaster the "2020" Olympics have become.

1 hour ago, MisterSG1 said:

Tell me why the COC should even entertain the idea, tell me as a Torontonian (I don’t technically live in Toronto proper but close enough) as to what benefit my tax money will receive by having the Winter Olympics in Calgary again.

In fairness I think a future winter games is much safer and more sensible for Canada than the summer games have been for Japan. 

Calgary is building a new arena for the NHL anyway, McMahon stadium needs to be renovated whether Calgary hosts the Olympics or not, the ski jumps already exist and either need to be demolished or refurbished, the city needs another CTrain line, and so on. There would be much less Olympic-specific expense than has happened in Tokyo. And by tying in a new CTrain line, public housing/village, venue upgrades and so on to another Olympic bid, you and other Canadians would get both a better #4 city and the pleasure of watching team Canada beat the USA in front of a home crowd. Is that worth $100+ in public subsidy per Canadian household? Only Canadians can answer that.

40 minutes ago, Nacre said:

In fairness I think a future winter games is much safer and more sensible for Canada than the summer games have been for Japan. 

Calgary is building a new arena for the NHL anyway, McMahon stadium needs to be renovated whether Calgary hosts the Olympics or not, the ski jumps already exist and either need to be demolished or refurbished, the city needs another CTrain line, and so on. There would be much less Olympic-specific expense than has happened in Tokyo. And by tying in a new CTrain line, public housing/village, venue upgrades and so on to another Olympic bid, you and other Canadians would get both a better #4 city and the pleasure of watching team Canada beat the USA in front of a home crowd. Is that worth $100+ in public subsidy per Canadian household? Only Canadians can answer that.

Which is exactly my point, how does building some transit line in Calgary benefit me in anyway? I know you’re not stupid but you do realize how far Calgary is from me, it’s practically a different country. I highly doubt I will use the C train ever in my daily life here. If for example federal money alone was used to build the entire SAS in New York, I’m sure you wouldn’t be a happy camper.

As for seeing Canada beat the USA in some hockey game, who cares, a week after no one will remember the medal table anyways. The media will frame it as Canada beating the “evil” USA and will lead Canadians to further embrace the toxic anti-Americanism.

Tell me for example what Vancouver 2010 did to make my life in Toronto better, I’m waiting.

3 hours ago, MisterSG1 said:

Which is exactly my point, how does building some transit line in Calgary benefit me in anyway?

By improving Canada's overall economic performance, which is why governments fund transportation even without the Olympics.

3 hours ago, MisterSG1 said:

Tell me for example what Vancouver 2010 did to make my life in Toronto better, I’m waiting.

Vancouver's economic success benefits all of Canada. It's hard to point the Olympics as having a causal role in this, but Vancouver was the best performing area of Canada in the years after their games.

09_15_VECTAKE_VancouverEconomicSuccessSt

The east end of London also saw significant economic growth and gentrification after 2012, although that also unfortunately inevitably raised housing prices.

Edited by Nacre
Oops. I wrote "west end" instead of "east end".

Again you are deflecting, you know the aptly named “Canada Line” wouldn’t have happened without the Olympics, notice it’s called the Canada Line, as in reminder in who actually built that line?

That’s right, taxpayers across Canada. I have absolutely no interest in ever going to Vancouver in my life.

So you think gentrification is a good thing, that just makes more property unaffordable, not a good thing my friend.

Toronto had a realistic shot to get 2028, but we told the IOC as city and province to go F off. 

20 minutes ago, MisterSG1 said:

Toronto had a realistic shot to get 2028, but we told the IOC as city and province to go F off. 

Wait, what. In what alternate reality was this? Since the IOC automatically awarded Los Angeles the 2028 Olympics in a double-allocation back in 2017.

6 hours ago, krow said:

Buddy,the Tokyo Government has banned spectators in ticketed seating at Tokyo 2020 including the Opening Ceremony for health reasons because of the pandemic.

That’s why the seating is empty on tv screens you are watching, not because of any boycott by spectators. 

The only people allowed in at Tokyo 2020 venues seating are staff, coaches, officials - that’s it.