Tokyo 2020 News - General

2 hours ago, stryker said:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1107813/sailing-ioc-tokyo-2020

This could be nothing but it's interesting the IOC has yet to respond to World Sailing's request for confirmation that the Tokyo Olympics will go ahead. Seems like with all the spin from Bach and Coates the IOC would've jumped on this. 

The financial wreckage surrounding Tokyo is getting clearer by the day. A study from Oxford University now pegs the Tokyo Olympics as surpassing Sochi as the most expensive Olympics in history. Of course the IOC will spin it with an asterisk blaming Covid-19 for everything despite the fact the costs were getting well out of control before the pandemic. Politically, Suga knows for his Liberal Democrat party to have any chance in the upcoming elections, they need an Olympics that will make the public forget the financial costs. Coates has been spinning this for a while paying no heed to the increasing opposition. 

I do find it interesting that Suga postponed a snap election until after the Olympics, probably to ward off the possibility of a landslide defeat leading to a new prime minister to cancelling the games. Just a few weeks ago, the Liberal Democratic Party lost three key seats in parliamentary by-elections, a likely sign of things to come. There's really no good solution here. Vaccines? It's a start but the logistics of vaccinating all the athletes before the Olympics is a logistical challenge. It also creates a PR headache for the IOC now that athletes are jumping the line in countries that are struggling to vaccinate their own populations.

https://www.scmp.com/sport/other-sport/article/3133377/why-tokyo-thinks-2020-olympics-show-must-go-even-covid-19-booms

Interesting note from the article above. A cancellation would mean the IOC would owe huge sums of money to the likes of NBC since the IOC gets most of its income from broadcasting rights, money they don't have. Does the IOC have an insurance policy on this? I would imagine in the event of a cancellation, NBC would want some form of compensation if not all their money. Could this lead to a messy court battle?

When the United States pulled out of the 1980 Olympics, NBC (in what was supposed to be their first major effort at covering an Olympics) had insurance to cover most of the rights fees.  The only money they didn't get back was the production costs they had already spent.

Have to imagine that NBC is covered in the event of a cancellation, so they likely wouldn't owe money to the IOC that they were supposed to pay in rights fees.  

IOC says ready to send extra medical staff to Tokyo Olympics

International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach said Wednesday his organization is prepared to send medical staff to the Tokyo Olympics as part of efforts to deal with the coronavirus pandemic.

Speaking at the outset of a three-day virtual meeting between Japan and the IOC's Coordination Commission, Bach said, "The IOC has offered to the organizing committee to have additional medical personnel...to support the medical operations and the strict implementation of COVID-19 countermeasures."

Addressing representatives of the Japanese organizing committee and the Japanese government, Bach said he expects over 80 percent of the residents of the athletes' village during the Olympics and Paralympics will be vaccinated for the virus.

"We must concentrate on delivery of these safe and secure Olympic Games because the opening ceremony is only 65 days away," he said.

The offer came amid growing public concern in Japan that hosting the global sporting event this summer could put further strains on the country's medical system.

The remote meeting through Friday is the 11th and final meeting between Japan and the IOC commission, which oversees preparation for the games, before the Olympics begin on July 23.

While the Tokyo Games approach following an unprecedented one-year delay, the majority of Japanese people are against holding the Olympics this summer, as the country grapples with infections and vaccine rollout remains slow.

Tokyo and some other areas are currently under a COVID-19 state of emergency, during which people are asked not to make unnecessary outings and establishments such as those serving alcohol to close.

Date:May 19, 2021

News source:The Mainichi

Link to this article:https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20210519/p2g/00m/0sp/069000c

On 5/20/2021 at 3:18 PM, Victorian said:

Will the Olympics go ahead?

Yes it will. Things must go on. Tokyo metropolis and Japanese government wants to finish their jobs as quickly as possible.

Host City Contract

“Nowhere within the 81-page contract does the host city or national government have the right to cancel the biggest event in the world.”

“Two key paragraphs in the Olympic contract give the International Olympic Committee extraordinary power over a sovereign government.”

“They can be found on page 72 and 73 under the subheading “termination”.

“The city of Tokyo does not have any power to decide whether or not the Olympic Games will be held,” said Yoshihisa Hayakawa, a professor of law at Rikkyo University, who also practises with law firm Uryu & Itoga in international commercial arbitration.

“This is the exclusive power of the IOC. The city of Tokyo is an entity that provides venues.”

The same contract has been in place for decades. It will be again in Paris in 2024 and Los Angeles in 2028.

Eryk Bagshaw
By Eryk Bagshaw
May 22, 2021

Credit: The Age - click here to read more

5 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Host City Contract

“Nowhere within the 81-page contract does the host city or national government have the right to cancel the biggest event in the world.”

“Two key paragraphs in the Olympic contract give the International Olympic Committee extraordinary power over a sovereign government.”

“They can be found on page 72 and 73 under the subheading “termination”.

“The city of Tokyo does not have any power to decide whether or not the Olympic Games will be held,” said Yoshihisa Hayakawa, a professor of law at Rikkyo University, who also practises with law firm Uryu & Itoga in international commercial arbitration.

“This is the exclusive power of the IOC. The city of Tokyo is an entity that provides venues.”

The same contract has been in place for decades. It will be again in Paris in 2024 and Los Angeles in 2028.

Eryk Bagshaw
By Eryk Bagshaw
May 22, 2021

Credit: The Age - click here to read more

So what would the IOC's recourse be if Tokyo pulled the plug? The IOC is a nonprofit organization with no political power. What are they going to do? File a lawsuit against Tokyo or the Japanese government? Laughable, not to mention the fact with the IOC's reputation not in the best of shape, an attempt to take legal action especially when a cancellation would be to protect public health, would backfire horribly on the IOC in terms of public relations.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stryker said:

So what would the IOC's recourse be if Tokyo pulled the plug? The IOC is a nonprofit organization with no political power. What are they going to do? File a lawsuit against Tokyo or the Japanese government? Laughable, not to mention the fact with the IOC's reputation not in the best of shape, an attempt to take legal action especially when a cancellation would be to protect public health, would backfire horribly on the IOC in terms of public relations.

In the end, a sovereign national government will do what it wants in the national interest.  

The 1916 Berlin Summer Olympics were cancelled due to World War 1.  Then the 1940 Helsinki Winter Olympics were cancelled in 1939 due to Hitler’s invasion of Poland. The 1944 Cortina d’Ampezzo Winter Olympics were also cancelled, as was 1944 London Summer Olympics following their rescheduling from 1940.

In all these cancellations, it would have been the national governments who did the cancelling. The IOC would have, of course agreed, with all of these cancellations and actively participated in rescheduling the 1940 London Games to 1944.

However, it appears that if the rescheduled Tokyo Games are cancelled, and I don’t believe they will be, then it’s likely it won’t be the City of Tokyo cancelling them but the Japanese Government.

Untested yet historically, but I cannot yet imagine a scenario when the IOC would even want to take action against an Organising Committee when that Host City’s  National Government has cancelled the Olympic Games in the national interest.

No Olympic Games before Tokyo 2021 have had to deal with a raging worldwide pandemic.   The IOC and the Tokyo Organising Committee believe they have found a way for the Games to go ahead safely.

Gov't, organizers inclining to allow spectators at Tokyo Games

More Japanese government officials and Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics organizers are inclined to allow a certain number of spectators at this summer's games if thorough anti-coronavirus measures are taken, sources close to the matter said Saturday.

The sources' remarks come just two months before the opening of the Olympics on July 23, and despite growing public calls for canceling the events due to skepticism about the ability of the organizers to contain the spread of the virus.

The Japanese capital has been under a state of emergency since late April amid a fourth wave of infections.

The organizers are scheduled to decide next month on the number of spectators by considering the infection situation and other factors.

There are concerns that allowing spectators will increase foot traffic outside venues, meaning additional countermeasures will be required.

The sources also said the no-spectator option will likely be maintained until the last minute should there be a rapid deterioration of the infection situation.

Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga favors having spectators, with a source close to his office confirming that measures are being considered to allow fans in the stands.

When declaring the ongoing state of emergency in late April, the government set a basic policy of not allowing spectators at major events in affected areas.

That was relaxed when the state of emergency was extended on May 7, with attendance to be capped at 5,000 people or 50 percent of venue capacity.

Adding to the push to have spectators is the track record of pro baseball and pro soccer in admitting fans without significant trouble, and the need, demonstrated in Olympic test events, for fans in the stands.

"The discussion about having no spectators is over, and now the main avenue of consideration is how many we can allow in," said an official who has a central role in preparing the games.

However, if the number of spectators is to be limited, a lottery to select from among ticket holders will be necessary. The preparations needed for such a step mean there is not much time left before it needs to begin.

There are also opinions that "the games should go ahead without spectators to ease the burden on operations, and concentrate on infection countermeasures for athletes and stakeholders."

Issues surrounding the effect of hot weather on spectators are also among those that remain unresolved.

In March, the government and organizers decided to prohibit non-resident spectators. A decision on limiting domestic fans was to be made in April, but that has now been put off until June due to surges in the numbers of infections.

Date: May 21,2021

News source: Kyodo News

Link to this article: https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2021/05/4030d28297c8-govt-organizers-inclining-to-allow-spectators-at-tokyo-games.html

The IOC has never been shy of shoving its foot in its mouth, and these are a couple of doozies...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/24/tokyo-olympics-anger-japan-ioc-coronavirus-sacrifices

Bach and Coates contriving to turn a delicate situation into an international incident. :rolleyes:

Edited by Rob.

5 hours ago, Rob. said:

The IOC has never been shy of shoving its foot in its mouth, and these are a couple of doozies...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/24/tokyo-olympics-anger-japan-ioc-coronavirus-sacrifices

Bach and Coates contriving to turn a delicate situation into an international incident. :rolleyes:

“We are in no mood to celebrate an event filled with fear and anxiety,”

Is it morally acceptable for the world to impose on Japan to host the Games when 80%of the Japanese are not in the mood to host it anymore?

8 hours ago, Rob. said:

Gee, allow me to feign my shock and dismay that Coates and Bach would say something that is completely tone deaf that would spark outrage.

The more those 2 can stay out of sight and mind over the next 10 months, the better.  I could only imagine how ugly it would all get if they had to spend more time focusing on China.  In that regard, the best thing that could have happened was for Tokyo to get postponed and for all the discussion to be on them to the point that many people probably forget there's another Olympics less than 6 months following the end of Tokyo.

2 hours ago, kevzz said:

“We are in no mood to celebrate an event filled with fear and anxiety,”

Is it morally acceptable for the world to impose on Japan to host the Games when 80%of the Japanese are not in the mood to host it anymore?

It's a valid question, but here's the other side of that equation.. Japan accepted the responsibility of hosting the Olympic Games and then said they could do so following a 12 month postponement.  What is their obligation to deliver on that promise as opposed to backing out because they're no longer in the mood?

It goes without saying a pandemic is different than the struggles other host cities have faced.  I understand the fear and anxiety, but how many sporting events have been held all over the world with little contribution to additional COVID cases and deaths?  Way too many people are convinced the Olympics will be a super-spreader event.  They don't have to be if run properly.  Not the IOC's fault that the virus is surging in Japan and a relatively about of COVID per capita compared to many other countries has overwhelmed their healthcare infrastructure.

I don't want to seem like a heartless individual who wants to put my desire to see the Olympics ahead of the lives of others.  But again, I will continue to ask the question of why Japan has found themselves in this position when for a long time, they seemed to have better control over the virus than most countries.

• Like 1

Yes, not the IOC's fault. But when you have a healthcare system that is already overwhelmed, it's not a great idea to put tens of thousands of foreign visitors into the system and just hope they won't need to use it while a pandemic is raging and there are anyway drug tests and inevitably injuries that need to be taken care of.

There are now only two months left - in some countries vaccination campaigns are really taking up speed, in many others they don't. And especially in those countries, is it really morally acceptable that athletes get priority if even health care workers or risk groups don't have a chance yet to get a jab, just because the IOC and a PM hoping for re-election want to put on a show? (Side note: We could have a debate on fairness of global vaccines distribution and patenting, but that's another, albeit related, story)

If I were a Japanese citizen, I would surely be among the 80%.

And even if all goes well and it's not turning into a super-spreader event (which we will anyway only know a few weeks later really), the disregard for the population of a host nation is absolutely alarming and the IOC can only afford this because they already have logged in almost everything for more than the next decade.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Gee, allow me to feign my shock and dismay that Coates and Bach would say something that is completely tone deaf that would spark outrage.

The more those 2 can stay out of sight and mind over the next 10 months, the better.  I could only imagine how ugly it would all get if they had to spend more time focusing on China.  In that regard, the best thing that could have happened was for Tokyo to get postponed and for all the discussion to be on them to the point that many people probably forget there's another Olympics less than 6 months following the end of Tokyo.

It's a valid question, but here's the other side of that equation.. Japan accepted the responsibility of hosting the Olympic Games and then said they could do so following a 12 month postponement.  What is their obligation to deliver on that promise as opposed to backing out because they're no longer in the mood?

It goes without saying a pandemic is different than the struggles other host cities have faced.  I understand the fear and anxiety, but how many sporting events have been held all over the world with little contribution to additional COVID cases and deaths?  Way too many people are convinced the Olympics will be a super-spreader event.  They don't have to be if run properly.  Not the IOC's fault that the virus is surging in Japan and a relatively about of COVID per capita compared to many other countries has overwhelmed their healthcare infrastructure.

I don't want to seem like a heartless individual who wants to put my desire to see the Olympics ahead of the lives of others.  But again, I will continue to ask the question of why Japan has found themselves in this position when for a long time, they seemed to have better control over the virus than most countries.

Bach and Coates have been as caustic as battery acid to the Olympics over the past few years. They are clearly spinning the situation and will probably pretend after the Tokyo Olympics end that these games were an anomaly to attempt to blunt any more No-Olympics talk from future bidders. 

I honestly think the organizers thought when the postponement was announced the world would be well on its way to the end of the pandemic was mass vaccination programs all over the globe. It hasn't happened that way and the pandemic is likely going to last well into 2022-2023 based on current vaccination rates. These are already the most expensive Olympics in history surpassing Sochi and they might also set the record for the biggest financial loss, something I am sure Bach and Coates will move to spin as an anomaly (never mind the fact the actual costs of Rio are said to be much higher than initially reported) I also think the Olympics can be done safely if done properly, but I'm not sure the IOC really has done their due diligence on this. Not having quarantine for unvaccinated athletes or personnel is the first red flag. When looking at test events or single tournaments like the Australian Open or the NBA last year, you have far fewer athletes that you can keep in a bubble type scenario. I don't remember the article (maybe insidethegames) but a suggestion last year was made to basically spread the Olympics out all over Japan in multiple bubbles with athletes and staff in designated hotels complete with quarantine on arrival and the athletes would only be allowed to leave the hotel for training or competing. When their event concluded they would have to depart within 24 hours. This also assumed no spectators or ceremonies. Under current protocols, it's hard to see how 10,000+ athletes and personnel in the Olympic Village with multiple sites across Tokyo could be considered a bubble not to mention no quarantine for unvaccinated athletes or personnel. I wonder if the stink that some tennis players made about Australia's quarantine rules during the Australian Open may have played a part in no quarantine in Tokyo.

I also wonder how many athletes are actually training for the Games, qualified and eventually attend the Games?

Does IOC expect a much lower number of athletes taking part compared to normal (10K+ if not wrong)? For countries devastated by the pandemic, particularly the developing countries, I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of their athletes stopped training since last year due to various lockdown and resources available to them  

Mixed-gender Olympic Oath takers being considered for Tokyo Games

Organizers are considering having one female and one male athlete swear the Olympic Oath at the upcoming Tokyo Games opening ceremony, a source familiar with the matter said Wednesday.

Traditionally, one athlete from the host nation recites the oath on behalf of all games participants but having a mixed-gender pair carry out the rite on July 23 would be a nod to gender balance and equality recommendations set out in Olympic Agenda 2020.

At the Seoul Olympics in 1988, female handball player Son Mi Na and male basketball player Hur Jae delivered the athletes' oath together in the only previous occasion where more than one person has given the Olympic pledge of sportsmanship.

The International Olympic Committee has called the Tokyo Olympics "the first-ever gender-balanced Olympic Games in history," with almost 49 percent of the athletes participating being women and a record number of female competitors at the Paralympics.

The idea is being considered just months after the long-time organizing committee chief Yoshiro Mori stepped down amid an uproar over sexist comments he made regarding women's input in meetings.

The 83-year-old retracted the remarks and offered an apology "to anyone I have offended" but blamed the media for fanning public anger.

The IOC has encouraged National Olympic Committees to take up the option to have both a female and male flagbearer, and also decided that each of the 206 delegations should include at least one male and one female.

In addition to the delegation captain, the Japanese Olympic Committee is planning to add a vice-captain for the first time at a Summer Games. The team will ensure each role is held by an athlete of a different gender.

All three oath takers at past Olympics held in Japan have been male.

Gymnast Takashi Ono took the Olympic Oath in 1964 when Tokyo last hosted the Summer Games. Speed skater Keiichi Suzuki took the oath at the 1972 Sapporo Winter Games and Nordic combined skier Kenji Ogiwara did so at the 1998 Nagano Winter Games.

Date:May 26,2021

News source:Kyodo News

Link to this article:https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2021/05/e4414fde6852-mixed-gender-olympic-oath-takers-being-considered-for-tokyo-games.html

1 hour ago, Palette86 said:

Tokyo metropolitan government is going to cut off the trees in Yoyogi park(where Dengue virus found in 2015)and construct public viewing site.:wacko:

元々の計画案に掲載されていた代々木公園のライブサイト会場の図。人数制限をするなどの観戦対策をとって実施する予定だという

Uhm...they’re cutting trees to create space for a punlic viewing event - which might not be a good idea in a pandemic to begin with? 

The level of stupidity is infinite.

Tokyo Olympic athletes required to recognize fatal risks amid COVID

The organizers of this summer's Tokyo Olympics plan to require athletes to acknowledge that they may face health risks or death caused by coronavirus infections and Japan's heat if they compete in the games, a document detailing conditions for participation showed Friday.

The International Olympic Committee has included such risks in a waiver that must be signed by athletes, stipulating that they take part in the games at their "own responsibility," according to a copy seen by Kyodo News.

The plan is extraordinary given that the IOC did not specifically mention such risks in the waivers for the Summer and Winter Games held at least since 2008, even though some took place amid fears of infectious diseases and air pollution.

The last Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in 2016 were staged when many were worried about the mosquito-borne Zika virus, which led several golfers to withdraw from the games. In 2010, the Vancouver Winter Olympics went ahead amid concern over the global outbreak of the swine flu.

During an online conference attended by Olympic officials and athletes on Thursday, Lana Haddad, the IOC's chief operating officer, said the entry form for the Tokyo Games has been "updated to include COVID-19 related considerations," when addressing worries raised by a member of the U.S. athlete committee.

"As you must have followed the news all around the world on COVID-19, no government, no health authority can or has taken over guarantees against infections. This is a risk that we all bear," Haddad said. "This is really to provide transparency and ensures the informed consent from the games' participants."

The form for athletes and Olympic officials is intended to have them abide by various rules of the games, which are due to open July 23 following a one-year postponement. The rules include those regarding the Olympic Charter and anti-doping regulations.

With the coronavirus pandemic far from over, many medical experts have expressed concern about staging the games in Japan that will involve tens of thousands of athletes, coaches, officials, support workers and members of the press from around the world.

While the IOC has promised to hold a safe games even during the global health crisis, its COVID-19 guidelines, called the "playbook," also state that participants must be accountable for their decision to take part.

"We trust that the measures laid out will mitigate the risks and impacts involved in participating in the games, and we fully count on your support to comply with them," said the second edition of the playbook, released in April.

"However, despite all the care taken, risks and impacts may not be fully eliminated, and therefore you agree to attend the Olympic and Paralympic Games at your own risk," it said.

The playbook states that athletes from overseas will need to take tests on two separate days within 96 hours of their time of departure for Japan. They will also be tested daily, in principle, at the athletes' village during the games.

The third and final edition of the playbook will be released in June.

Date:May 29,2021

News source:Kyodo news

Link to this article:https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2021/05/e1f85a4ce105-urgent-tokyo-olympic-athletes-required-to-recognize-fatal-risks-amid-covid.html?phrase=IOC&words=IOC,IOC's

Tokyo Olympics: local fans may need to show vaccination proof or negative Covid test

Games authorities are relying on Japan’s spectators to provide atmosphere but are now in a race against time to inoculate population

Sports fans in Japan could be allowed to attend Olympic events in Tokyo this summer if they have proof of vaccination or a negative Covid-19 test, a newspaper reported on Monday.

While many athletes are expected to have been fully vaccinated by late July, poor planning and staff shortages mean most Japanese citizens will still be waiting for a jab when the Olympics begin in less than two months’ time.

Having decided to ban foreign spectators, local organisers are pinning their hopes on a limited number of Japanese sports fans creating a semblance of atmosphere at venues that would otherwise be empty.

The report in the Yomiuri Shimbun came as another poll challenged predictions by Olympic officials that public opposition to the Games would melt away as the 23 July opening ceremony draws closer.

A poll in the Nikkei business newspaper found that 62% of respondents thought the Olympics should be cancelled or postponed, while 33% said they should go ahead with fewer or no spectators.

The IOC has ruled out another delay, citing an already-packed sporting calendar in 2022.

The chief cabinet secretary, Katsunobu Kato, told reporters he was not aware that any agreement had been reached on domestic spectators.

“To make the Games a success, it is necessary to take into account the feelings of the people,” Kato said, adding that organisers would ensure infection prevention measures were in place to stage the event safely.

Organisers have said a decision on domestic fans will be announced next month, most likely after the latest round of emergency restrictions in Tokyo and other areas ends on 20 June.

The prime minister, Yoshihide Suga, who faces criticism of the government’s vaccine rollout and his silence in the face of controversial remarks by International Olympic CommitteeIOC) officials, is thought to favour allowing Japanese citizens to attend events.

When the latest state of emergency was declared in Tokyo and other areas in late April, officials requested that sports and other large events be held behind closed doors. The advice has since been relaxed to allow up to 5,000 people or 50% of a venue’s capacity.

Government officials have pointed to baseball and football matches that have passed off safely with limited numbers of people in attendance.

“The discussion about having no spectators is over, and now the main point under consideration is how many we can allow in,” an unnamed official told the Kyodo news agency earlier this month.

The Yomiuri Shimbun report sparked anger on social media, where users questioned the wisdom of pushing ahead with the Games during the pandemic, and at a time when Japan is struggling to make significant dents in its daily caseload during the latest state of emergency.

The term “negative test certificate” was trending on Twitter in Japan, generating more than 26,000 tweets by Monday afternoon.

“If you can’t eat, cheer, or do high-fives, what’s the point in paying for a ticket and an expensive test?” asked a Twitter user – in reference to other proposed safety measures – while others questioned the accuracy of Covid-19 tests.

While the pace of new infections has fallen in Tokyo, the number of Covid-19 patients in critical condition across Japan has reached record levels in recent days.

There has been criticism, too, of senior IOC officials’ response to public concerns that the Games – which will involve about 90,000 athletes, officials, journalists, sponsors and support staff – could trigger another virus outbreak in Japan and place further pressure on the country’s health services.

John Coates, an IOC vice-president who is overseeing preparations, recently said Tokyo 2020 would go ahead even if the host city and other areas were covered by emergency coronavirus measures.

On Friday, Dick Pound, a senior IOC official, said that “barring Armageddon”, the Games would go ahead.

Last week, the president of the organising committee, Seiko Hashimoto, suggested that a ban on local fans had not been ruled out.

“There are many people who are saying that for the Olympic Games we have to run without spectators, although other sports are accepting them,” Hashimoto said. “So we need to keep that in mind. We need to avoid that the local medical services are affected. We need to take those things into consideration before agreeing on the spectator count.”

Date: May 31,2021

News source:The Guardian

Link to this article:https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/31/tokyo-olympics-local-fans-vaccination-proof-covid-test-report

I really think the Tokyo Games should be cancelled, or at least postponed as some reported to be an option.

First, Covid situation is still uncertain in Japan which might rise again in the coming months. Safety concerns for the athletes, media and locals.

Secondly, it is not going to feel the same without international supporters and socially distances spectators. 

Thirdly, I suspect for many athletes, they won't be able to train in their 100% capacity due to the various lockdowns which is also unfair to athletes from countries where lockdown restrictions are more harsh. Hence this Games will not see athletes compete to their best ability. 

Lastly, I don't think the world is in the mood to follow the Games to be honest when we are still fighting this pandemic. I for one couldn't care less about the Olympics now. We need to get this crisis over before the world can come together again.

1 hour ago, ashelybrown said:

I really think the Tokyo Games should be cancelled, or at least postponed as some reported to be an option.

The IOC, the Tokyo Olympic Organizing Committee, and the Japanese Government have made it quite clear that further postponement of the Games is not an option.  So I'm not sure where you are hearing or reading that it is.  The choice is the Games will either open on July 23 they are cancelled. 

• Like 1