Tokyo 2020 News - General

11 hours ago, yoshi said:

Is it sure to be July 2021 or might it yet be this autumn - or the other way, summer 2022? It’s not like there’s a World Cup after all...

No but there will be WC qualifiers. There will need to be some negotiation between FIFA and the IOC.

14 minutes ago, The Tower Bridge Fox said:

They should still call it Tokyo  2020 and keep the flame burning, may be hold some small event on the day it should have started.

My sympathies at the moment are with the People of Tokyo.

My sympathies are with the people suffering from the virus. Jesus.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

The IOC and the Japanese Organisers will want football, one of the Olympic Games biggest sports and drawcards, to be fully competing at the Games.

At least the men’s tournament surely isn’t. But yeah, they’ll want to keep it in.

2 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Since Euro 2020 was recently postponed to 2021 before the Tokyo Olympics were, the IOC will not want to have both postponed events clashing in any way, as it was in 2020.

The IOC and the Japanese Organisers will want football, one of the Olympic Games biggest sports and drawcards, to be fully competing at the Games.

Why wouldn't it be?  The Euro and the Olympics were originally supposed to be in the same year.  Now they're still in the same year.  Again, remember that the men's tournament is U-23, so it's not the same kind of tournament.  The question is what happens to the Women's Euro, which was slated to be held next July/August, so right in the window the Olympics is likely to occupy.  That may have to get pushed back to 2022.  Helps that the Men's FIFA World Cup isn't until November, so that Summer window is potentially open

18 minutes ago, The Tower Bridge Fox said:

it was agreed that the Olympic flame will stay in Japan. It was also agreed that the Games will keep the name Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020.” – Joint Statement

I agree with this, its the postponement of the same event not the creation of a new one.

<cynicism>Also they'll have warehouses full of Tokyo 2020 merchandise</cynicism>

2 hours ago, The Tower Bridge Fox said:

it was agreed that the Olympic flame will stay in Japan. It was also agreed that the Games will keep the name Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020.” – Joint Statement

Yeah, I don't see them re-doing all those 10,000 torches.  Even putting a sticker over the old logo might not work for the torches.  For the over the 1,500 medals, I guess they can just stick a "1" over the last "0."  

Well, if there is space, it could be called "TOKYO 2020*"  (*- 21)  or  "TOKYO 2020+1" to make it factually correct because it's going to be odd/funny wearing medals which say "2020" when you accomplished your feat in 2021.  Not unless Tokyo 2020 changes ALL THE calendars in Japan to stay 2020!!  :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hansfromdenmark said:

In danish media they say the only thing clear, is that it shall take place after 2020, and latest in the summer 2021. That in mind seems like they don´t rule out a april games for example? 

When is it weather wise possible to take place in Tokyo? 

April is still cherry blossom time in Tokyo.  The thing is the IOC wants the Olympics when there is NOTHING else -- no other major conference or such thing in the anchor host city.  So, if there are other major conferences or championships of non-Olympic sports already planned for June-July-August '21 in Tokyo; they're going to have to ask those organizers to delay or move THEIR event in order that the Olympics are the only show in town.  The postponement impacts all other events already scheduled for when they want to move it to.  
And don't forget the royal family's participation.  If the new emperor had already scheduled a month's retreat or something like that for July; and it can't be moved -- then the Olympics will play either in June or in August.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

https://tokyocheapo.com/events/august

At this calendar for August this year there are many other events beside the Olympic Games... The most valid dates are possible to be the same 2 weeks. But it could get problems for others. Especially here in Denmark... We are co hosting European Championschips in football... AND in 2021 we have the Grand Depart of Tour de France in Copenhagen... This year Tour de France start one week earlier because of the Games... Shall they do that again next year it could mean trouble in Copenhagen...  Many good questions to be asking right now. It is very interesting what they came up with. 

2 minutes ago, Hansfromdenmark said:

https://tokyocheapo.com/events/august

At this calendar for August this year there are many other events beside the Olympic Games... The most valid dates are possible to be the same 2 weeks. But it could get problems for others. Especially here in Denmark... We are co hosting European Championschips in football... AND in 2021 we have the Grand Depart of Tour de France in Copenhagen... This year Tour de France start one week earlier because of the Games... Shall they do that again next year it could mean trouble in Copenhagen...  Many good questions to be asking right now. It is very interesting what they came up with. 

That calendar will be completely thrown out. Most federations are desperately in need for IOC money, and that was already before the global recession that is inevitably going to happen.

The postponement is an opportunity to rethink whatever was planned for the opening ceremony, and hopefully we'll see something relevant to the pandemic, and an informal declaration of "victory" over the virus in the ceremony of 2021.

You can bet the last thing I want to see is yet another dated message about nuclear proliferation. Especially when the idea is always so mistakenly extrapolated to nuclear energy generation, which will always be necessary to have.

6 hours ago, The Tower Bridge Fox said:

They should still call it Tokyo  2020 and keep the flame burning, may be hold some small event on the day it should have started.

My sympathies at the moment are with the People of Tokyo.

If i'm not mistaken, they actually forced to keep Tokyo 2020 due to trademark/legal issues, change in it when things are already on go would be a struggle, i heard that in case of postponed Euro 2020.

11 hours ago, Shadowriver said:

If i'm not mistaken, they actually forced to keep Tokyo 2020 due to trademark/legal issues, change in it when things are already on go would be a struggle, i heard that in case of postponed Euro 2020.

Very true. That and they've probably changed their logo enough times as it is!! :lol: Funny how they can move an entire Olympic Games a whole year - such a logistical nightmare even the IOC probably haven't fully got their heads around yet - yet they can't change one digit.. hehe

While it is certainly not the most devastating thing happening in the world right now, it sure is sad to see such a previously unimaginable new "first" for the Olympics. Isn't it weird that these are the Games where the logo had to be changed, then the Olympic Stadium design. Now this.

And of course the Torch Relay. At least one good thing might come from this - cities might just have to stop trying to break the record for the "longest Torch Relay" :rolleyes: (Although technically these next 12 months probably don't officially count as part of the Torch Relay. But anyway...)

1 minute ago, The Tower Bridge Fox said:

I wouldn't have liked  London 2012 to become london 2013.
So I think its good to keep the same name for what ever the reason.

Totally agree. The way I see it is, these are still the 2020 Games (or the 2020 edition of the Games). They just happen to be taking place in 2021. It's not like they are suddenly adding Games to random years.

2 hours ago, andrew_syd said:

Totally agree. The way I see it is, these are still the 2020 Games (or the 2020 edition of the Games). They just happen to be taking place in 2021. It's not like they are suddenly adding Games to random years.

Like the ancient Battle of Salamis too place in 480 BC.  But because if it had been postponed one year later, actually was fought in 479 BC; but Herodotus' eraser had run out, so it stayed 480!  :lol:  (Hypothetically, of course & going by this "Tokyo 2020" time-shift.)  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Isn’t it a strange coincidence that we’re seeing a sudden surge in cases in Tokyo this week and the Gov asking people to stay home even during cherry blossoming?

You’d almost think the previous figures were so low while the Olympics weren’t postponed yet. All a bit fishy...