Tokyo 2020 News - General

I know they said four weeks, but in today’s social media world, these bits of news from Canada & Australia will surely mean the IOC will need to officially announce today. Only question is what’s to be done about the rest of the calendar & future Olympics - full cycle shift isn’t implausible, the Euros & Olympics will be in 2021, the athletics will need to move, & the next World Cup is almost in 2023 anyway... :( 

Athletic Worlds move to 2022 Euros were going to be just before Olympics anyway so no different to 2020. Team sports that have qualified stay the same. I see the biggest issue being countries that have selected athletes for sports that may no longer be the number 1 selection in a years time. one Australian i can think of is Chloe Esposito modern pentathlon is having a baby so didn't qualify but in a year she may be able to qualify.

If anyone is in Tokyo on here i would love to get my hands on some 2020 merchandise! happy to pay a bit extra plus postage.

1 hour ago, stryker said:

If the Olympics are indeed being postponed to next summer how might scheduling work out with Euro moves to summer 2021 as well. Might be best for football to be dropped from the Olympics this go around

Both events were supposed to be held the same summer anyways, what difference does it make?

9 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

So it’s game(s) over for this year.

Canada already out and Australia not being subtle about things. The IOC can set itself a four week deadline to come up with an alternative, but it’s probably only four days until they say it’s not going to happen 2020.

I don't know if it'll be that quick.  I read on Twitter that Japanese business executives tend to be very careful and deliberate about their decisions, so it's likely them more than the IOC that is holding things up.  I think the danger in saying postponement without a plan is there will be too many unanswered questions.  Schedules, ticket sales, sponsorships, security, etc.  They need to figure those things out BEFORE they make the announce to postpone, not after

9 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

So that kills Eugene 2021.  Wonder what they do with the Villages for a year?  Rent them out as Air B&Bs?   Do they replay all TEAM sports qualifications?  Do they restage the Lighting of the Flame (or just keep it lit in some temple there?)   What if a NEW virus pops up in spring 2021?? 

Quaker, :P

Glad to see how quick you've come around on "they'll hold the Olympics in 2020 or they won't hold them at all"

Yes, lots of questions to be answered.  Which is why they need time to sort everything out

5 hours ago, yoshi said:

I know they said four weeks, but in today’s social media world, these bits of news from Canada & Australia will surely mean the IOC will need to officially announce today. Only question is what’s to be done about the rest of the calendar & future Olympics - full cycle shift isn’t implausible, the Euros & Olympics will be in 2021, the athletics will need to move, & the next World Cup is almost in 2023 anyway... :( 

Social media pressure is a thing, but I don't think it will force a premature announcement, let alone that it has to be today.  Again, so many things to sort through.  Let them do their work and then they can tell everyone.  And everyone in the mean time screaming on social media for them to postponement can just calm the **** down and wait for what they know is coming.

I'm not sure the IOC necessarily needs to announce a postponement today. But with the dripfeed of sports bodies calling for a postponement and nations, including Britain, now indicating an unwillingness to send teams to Tokyo in July, there is a risk that the IOC will be perceived as being forced into an action that it could and should have been prepared for earlier. Either way, I would be amazed if there isn't a postponement announcement at some stage this week.

5 minutes ago, arwebb said:

I'm not sure the IOC necessarily needs to announce a postponement today. But with the dripfeed of sports bodies calling for a postponement and nations, including Britain, now indicating an unwillingness to send teams to Tokyo in July, there is a risk that the IOC will be perceived as being forced into an action that it could and should have been prepared for earlier. Either way, I would be amazed if there isn't a postponement announcement at some stage this week.

I saw this posted on another thread.  This is excellent analysis of what the IOC and the Tokyo OCOG are facing right now (read through the whole thread)..

In short, there are massive legal ramifications involved with the decision of a postponement/cancellation.  The host city contract is an agreement between the organizers and the IOC.  If 1 side pulls the trigger before the other, they could claim a breach of contraction and the ensuing fallout could take years to sort out.  That's why it need to be a mutual decision between the 2 parties, not to mention everyone else involved (i.e. sponsors, TV rightsholders, etc.) who have their contracts as well.  That's why the IOC is talking about a 4 week timeline and assuredly will not give 2 shits about the "dripfeed" of sports bodies, who all likely understand what's at stake here.  If we go more than a week without an announcement, I don't think it will be that amazing.  We have no idea at what pace this will all develop, but I wouldn't assume it'll happen sooner rather than later

Yes, there are lots of legal questions that need to be clarified.

However, more and more NOCs and athletes are now coming out and speak for postponement, and it really takes the steering wheel out of the IOC - and the Japanese - hands. Any decision they will take, and yes, it has to be mutual, will more likely be an act of a notary stating the fait accompli.

38 minutes ago, stryker said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/2020-tokyo-olympics-postponed-due-to-coronavirus-pandemic/ar-BB11A7TY?ocid=spartandhp

Looks like it's official. Postponed but no date given. My guess is the IOC and the organizing committee will hash those details out over the next four weeks.

Shows what I know.  Didn't think they would reach this point so quickly

58 minutes ago, stryker said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/2020-tokyo-olympics-postponed-due-to-coronavirus-pandemic/ar-BB11A7TY?ocid=spartandhp

Looks like it's official. Postponed but no date given. My guess is the IOC and the organizing committee will hash those details out over the next four weeks.

Actually, upon further inspection.. this is just Dick Pound saying it.  Don't know if this qualifies yet as "official," even though it confirms the prevailing sentiments from the past 24 hours

Until 92, there were always only a few months between winter and summer Olympics. I know the times have moved on and both have grown far bigger since, but these are exceptional circumstances.

A spring Olympics would still be too early for athletes to get fully prepared, especially in the Northern Hemisphere. 

2 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

Until 92, there were always only a few months between winter and summer Olympics. I know the times have moved on and both have grown far bigger since, but these are exceptional circumstances.

A spring Olympics would still be too early for athletes to get fully prepared, especially in the Northern Hemisphere. 

Exactly.  All of the qualifying will need to be rescheduled, so many countries and sports federations will need that time to ramp up properly for the Olympics

At least they're not cancelled. Frustrating, but understandable. It only took direct threats from Canada, UK and Australia for the IOC to finally wake up and smell the coffee. 

So what's going to happen to the torch relay? I legit stopped watching anything related to the olympics to avoid depression (part of me already knew for weeks this wasn't going to happen). They should just stop it, not mentioning still holding it was a suicide mission which would had gotten more people infected. 

3 hours ago, yoshi said:

Is it sure to be July 2021 or might it yet be this autumn - or the other way, summer 2022? It’s not like there’s a World Cup after all...

3 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

The IOC will most likely have to talk with the football governing bodies and both be formally on the same page for Euro 2021 and Tokyo 2921, as they were in 2020 and every other Summer Olympics year.  The IOC will want to very much keep football in Tokyo 2021.

The proximity of the 2022 Winter Olympics is also not going to be a primary consideration I would think in scheduling Tokyo 2021.

Its just going to be one of those periods in Olympic history that both Summer and Winter Games were held close together out of necessity due to the 2020 pandemic.

UEFA is the least of their concerns.  Both events were supposed to be this Summer.  And remember the Olympic tournament is primarily U-23.

Agreed about the 2022 Winter Olympics.  Either Summer 2021 or Summer 2022 puts them in the same proximity time-wise to Beijing.  Don't forget the matter of the Paralympics though.

6 hours ago, stryker said:

Editor's note: This story has been edited to clarify that the Tokyo Olympics have not been officially postponed yet.

I don't admire Canada decision to pull out.
The games are under review and they could have waited
Olympic games have host nations that should be respected
postponing an olympics isent somthing you skip and dance into.

We all had hopes the event would go on but with Coronavirus still spiraling out of control and becoming the worst health crisis since the Spanish Flu, it's ridiculous and unrealistic to keep believing things will be normal by summer. Surely they might not be as bad, but we'll still be in a state of panic and restriction as long as there is no vaccine or a clear treatment for the disease. 

Abe preparing to talk with IOC head on phone

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is preparing to have a teleconference with the head of the International Olympic Committee. Tokyo plans to ask the IOC to make a decision as quickly as possible on how the Games should be handled amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Abe wants to discuss the matter with IOC President Thomas Bach, while joined by the head of the Tokyo Olympic organizing committee and the governor of Tokyo.

The development comes after Bach said he is confident that a decision will be finalized within the next four weeks.

Abe has acknowledged that the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics may have to be postponed if they cannot be held in "a complete form." He told a Diet committee on Monday that he doesn't think the world is now in a situation to stage the Games.

Meanwhile, the IOC has ruled out a cancellation of the Games -- a move that comes as a relief to Tokyo.

Japanese government officials say their efforts to avert the cancellation bore fruit. Earlier this month, Abe explained Japan's stance in a phone call with US President Donald Trump, as well as in a video conference with his Group of Seven peers.

The Japanese government plans to ask that the IOC promptly begin work on a new schedule, if the Games are delayed.

News source:NHK WORLD Japan

Date:24 March,2020

Link to this article:https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200324_04/