Tokyo 2020 News - General

2 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Welp. Euro 2020 and Copa America 2020 have just been delayed until 2021. I don't think there is a bigger reality check than this.

Exactly. It is surely only a matter of time before the IOC and the Japanese authorities bow to what appears to be the inevitable. We now have athletes saying it is "impossible" for them to prepare properly for the Games. I simply cannot see an alternative to delay.

For an organization which has been seeking desperately to fix their damaged prestige after the Sochi fiasco, they're really doing an effort at having their event even more hated than it already was by people now with this stubbornness, and because organizations such as NBC are more afraid of losing money than the life costs. 

2 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

For an organization which has been seeking desperately to fix their damaged prestige after the Sochi fiasco, they're really doing an effort at having their event even more hated than it already was by people now with this stubbornness, and because organizations such as NBC are more afraid of losing money than the life costs. 

NBC has insurance, so they're not in the biggest danger here and they're obviously seeing what's happening in the United States, so they're aware of the gravity of the situation.

I agree this could have long-lasting damage to the IOC, especially now that athletes are starting to speak out that it's a misguided effort to go all in on having the Olympics this Summer.  Especially since there seems to be little thought towards a backup plan.  It's like the IOC and the Tokyo OCOG have their heads buried in the sand and they're hoping they'll look up in a couple of months and everything will be fine.  I get putting on a face of optimism towards the world, but this situation is out of their control and at the very least, the Olympics will be severely compromised.  That doesn't necessarily mean a postponement is the solution and we won't know the answer for awhile, but it's foolish of everyone involved to place a bet on this summer being safe for the Olympics to be held.  Maybe they get lucky and the Olympics can provide the break the world will need to help guide us out of this crisis.  But I don't know how likely that is to happen.  And it could be a historically bad decision for the future of the Olympic movement if they are not prepared.

I think Tokyo and the IOC are talking with their insurance companies now (which are ALSO incredibly stressed) and see where they can minimize losses.  It will be an even greater hit for the IOC if they staged a Games in the face of a pandemic than just to have cancelled the whole thing.  Tokyo and the IOC are probably hammering out what financial share the IOC can give the COOG to minimize its losses.  And the different IFs will just have to have their own World Championships some time this year -- if at all.  AFter all, the cause for cancellation could've been much worse: at least it wasn't a war or some even more destructive natural catastrophe.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

23 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

at least it wasn't a war or some even more destructive natural catastrophe.  

When this is over the whole world economy will be alike to that of a Post-WW one. We're royally screwed. 

What if it is postponed one year to take part july and august 2021... Shall those who already are qualified still be qualified? Or shall there be a hole new qualification? For example in team sports, where some are qualified and som are not. But also other sports. A year later is perhaps not the same people who are the best anymore?

2 hours ago, Hansfromdenmark said:

What if it is postponed one year to take part july and august 2021... Shall those who already are qualified still be qualified? Or shall there be a hole new qualification? For example in team sports, where some are qualified and som are not. But also other sports. A year later is perhaps not the same people who are the best anymore?

That should be the least of the concerns at this point

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hansfromdenmark said:

While I agree it's probably not the greatest concern at the moment, I don't see how a whole new qualification process could take place. The only precedent for a scenario like this is the Ryder Cup in golf which was postponed for a year in the wake of 9/11 with the original teams playing on the new dates.

2 hours ago, The Tower Bridge Fox said:

The Olympics must not be canceld !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what we have at the moment is total media HYSTEREA!!!!!!!!!!!
the summer will see of this flue viarus.

It's not media hysteria.  Every country has their own media, so unless they're all working together, that's not the case.

It's 4 months until the Olympics, but this is when preparations are in full swing.  Those preparations obviously cannot happen as scheduled.  It's possible the Olympics can be held this summer.  But the IOC needs a contingency plan if they can't be held, because then the only alternative is cancellation, and that's not an acceptable outcome

More and more athletes speak out against holding the Olympics, even if that means their lifelong plans and dreams are turned upside down.

Training facilities are closed, public movement restricted in many countries, already placing those athletes in a disadvantage.

And then there’s the collapse of doping controls because docs have other things to do and testers can’t travel.

The Games must not go ahead now.

10 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Postponing to Oct/Nov would be best bet I feel.

Can they be held in that window, though?  It brings up all the questions.. athlete housing, venue availability, volunteers, etc.  Can all those functions be brought together to make the Olympics work in the fall

1 hour ago, The Tower Bridge Fox said:

I think the Olympics have to go ahead come hell or high water, otherwise all major events in the future will come under pressure
from delay, cancellation, for a hole avalanche of possible reasons.

Hell or high water.. but what about a virus?  What happens if this virus is still circling the globe at that point.  Should the Olympics be held at all costs then?

I want the Games to happen as much as anyone, but not if it poses a health risk to everyone attending, which therefore could have repercussions on the rest of the world.  That can't happen, as much as we might all want it to.  If that has a ripple effect on future events as a result, so be it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Tower Bridge Fox said:

I think the Olympics have to go ahead come hell or high water, otherwise all major events in the future will come under pressure
from delay, cancellation, for a hole avalanche of possible reasons.

And I think the Olympics can go to hell if they really go ahead.

You still don’t get it, do you?

Just because things always had to be during solstice or whatever, that doesn’t mean they can still be during such an exceptional situation.

Besides, there’ll not be enough Polish workers there to pick the strawberries, thanks to Brexit.

I’ll dare say now that the IOC will announce a delay before Easter. For how long? Who knows? But by then, they can’t even ignore reality in Lausanne anymore.

I stille believe and hope, that in july and august we have a more normal world again. BUT the preparation, the qualification etc is so unfair that a postponent is the best way. Then those 2 weeks also are in play for other sports for what they have delayed... For example european championschip in swimming and much other stuff. Decide for 2021, and have time to rearrange the calendar in all sport in good time and give the athletes better and fair preparation around the world. 

10 hours ago, The Tower Bridge Fox said:

Wimbledon is still currently planned and that's a month before the Olympics.
Wimbledon can't be moved. it has to be on the summer solstice.
My feelings are, move the Olympics and the Earth could be struck by a giant Meteorite.
Theres never a perfect time for anything!!!!!

No, Wimbledon is keeping things under review, but they'll be able to cancel relatively quickly, we're not talking 10k athletes.

"While we continue to plan for The Championships at this time, it remains a continuously evolving situation and we will act responsibly, in the best interests of wider society."

They're not saying, "we're going ahead, we could be hit by a meteorite", it's only you saying that. Stop being a wally.