Beijing 2022 Ceremonies

^ :o:wacko: Could they put the Olympic snowboarding in there? Now that would be an imaginative use of an existing venue.

If it weren't for the IOC's change in policy the bird's nest would have been a great venue for the long track speed skating event. But now all venues for this event have to be indoor only.

I'm sure the Chinese could finally slap their originally planned retractable roof on there by 2020. Sadly the scale of the ceremonies will probably make any sport in there impossible.

Not for speed skating! They can use that ice surface to their advantage like what SLC did in their stadium.

I think they do it for weather reasons so there wouldn't be any delay in the races as well as keeping the ice surface clear of any falling snow or other debris that could affect the races.

Lake Placid spent about $50 to spread a sheet of ice on the local high school football field.... and held one of the most dramatic and exciting speed skating meets of all time.

Velodromes and long-track rinks are about the most useless of all venues. They could be dramatically cheaper if allowed to be built outdoors. If Agenda 2020 means anything, this would be a great baby step to take. Won't happen though.

• Like 1

If it weren't for the IOC's change in policy the bird's nest would have been a great venue for the long track speed skating event. But now all venues for this event have to be indoor only.

You want to put speed skating in an 80,000 seat stadium? Remember - confusing as it may seem - a 400 meter speed skating oval is not the same size as a 400 meter athletes track. Speed skating there would be absolutely awful for spectators unless some major provisions were made to the stadium.

• 2 weeks later...

Lake Placid spent about $50 to spread a sheet of ice on the local high school football field.... and held one of the most dramatic and exciting speed skating meets of all time.

Velodromes and long-track rinks are about the most useless of all venues. They could be dramatically cheaper if allowed to be built outdoors. If Agenda 2020 means anything, this would be a great baby step to take. Won't happen though.

I'm with you here, the Velodromes are so expensive and useless. Complete waste of money. That is what is driving away so many people from holding the Games, the large price tag that is only going up. But I as well don't see the IOC doing anything about it or changing it, because if Russia can step up and say "I'll do it no matter the cost", who cares if all of the European cities drop out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I truly hope they will pick Wong Kar Wai to direct the opening ceremony. It will be such an inspired choice and with him at helm, it really could be the most beautiful and cinematic ceremony, setting a standard and aesthetic never seen before. In his latest movie The Grandmaster you can see how brilliantly he evoked the beauty and drama of winter snow scene. 

Beijing 2008 is a coming out event for China, a showcase of economic prowess. I believe Beijing 2022 will be a coming of age event for China, a showcase of their cultural prowess now. 

Waiting with bated breath. 

• 2 weeks later...

After watching the G20 summit opening GALA I think it's safe to say that Beijing 2022 will be an opulent showcase never seen before since being 2008. As much money as Russia spent on Sochi I still felt it paled in comparison to Beijing. And though we gave London High marks I think their marketing department lowered the expectations enough for us to not class it with Beijing. I mean come on that entire segment with the teens and the internet? I'm kind of glad that 3 asian countries will be taking up hosting duties for the the next games all building in production value. Korea will be a good starter. Safe in it's presentation then Tokyo will definitely hike up the energy in 2020 but I think we will definitely be in for a treat when Beijing gets their hands on 2022. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/6/2016 at 5:57 PM, alphamale86 said:

After watching the G20 summit opening GALA I think it's safe to say that Beijing 2022 will be an opulent showcase never seen before since being 2008. As much money as Russia spent on Sochi I still felt it paled in comparison to Beijing. And though we gave London High marks I think their marketing department lowered the expectations enough for us to not class it with Beijing. I mean come on that entire segment with the teens and the internet? I'm kind of glad that 3 asian countries will be taking up hosting duties for the the next games all building in production value. Korea will be a good starter. Safe in it's presentation then Tokyo will definitely hike up the energy in 2020 but I think we will definitely be in for a treat when Beijing gets their hands on 2022. 

Am watching it now -- and so far, it's pretty BORING STUFF!!   Same old, same old, Raise the Red Lantern Muddah-f*ckah stuff!!  

I don't know what you're talking about??  

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't thought it was that bad. Besides it was just a show for the G20. I also appreciate they were original and did the show in an open space, this case the Hangzhou lake.

The city is doing the Asian Games in 2022. I wonder if they will do their ceremonies here as well. 

• 7 months later...

The problem with Wong Kar wai is his style of directing didn't match for a full live event like happened with fast trick recent trend of directors - Zhang Yimou, Danny Boyle, Fernando Meirelles (Really visual directors but working in style and velocity)... Too bad Jia Zhangke is on the black list of the Government, because he can create a more active event.

• 4 months later...
On 6/14/2016 at 7:00 PM, zekekelso said:

I'm a little alte to the party but I agree as well. Velodromes continuously prove to be some of the most underused venues once the Games are over. I would definitely support a movement to bring back outdoor velodromes, that would bring certain cities who are hesitant to bid due to sustainability/legacy reasons just a liiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit closer to going through with it.

On 9/24/2017 at 7:45 AM, anthonyliberatori said:

I'm a little alte to the party but I agree as well. Velodromes continuously prove to be some of the most underused venues once the Games are over. I would definitely support a movement to bring back outdoor velodromes, that would bring certain cities who are hesitant to bid due to sustainability/legacy reasons just a liiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit closer to going through with it.

The thing with un-roofed velodromes is that if it's really a cheap, bare-bones venue; therefore, no lighting at all; the races will have to be held during the day.  The only problem with that is if the sun is bright during competition days, then the ice will get soft and goopy.  So one would have to wait for cold, over-cast days in order to have optimum ice conditions, but then you would have less than ideal broadcasting conditions, i.e., visual-wise.  

• 2 months later...
On September 30, 2017 at 9:17 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

The thing with un-roofed velodromes is that if it's really a cheap, bare-bones venue; therefore, no lighting at all; the races will have to be held during the day.  The only problem with that is if the sun is bright during competition days, then the ice will get soft and goopy.  So one would have to wait for cold, over-cast days in order to have optimum ice conditions, but then you would have less than ideal broadcasting conditions, i.e., visual-wise.  

It depends on the location of the Games though. Certain areas, like Pyeongchang, are cold enough to rely on an outdoor ice sheet to stay frozen. And certain places, like Beijing, would have the money to spend on a good quality outdoor velodrome, given many of their venues are pre-existing. Also , some places are almost always overcast in the winter, so the fear of melting the ice in this places is less.

Your situation is also somewhat dramatic, I definitely do not see why an indoor speed skating oval is of the utmost importance, and why they could not be moved back outside. Big venues like that, that have such specific purposes, are just drops in one big bucket that continues to push possible host cities away, leaving us with Games like Beijing 2022.