Fifty killed in deadliest mass shooting in recent US history

One of the sadder things about this is sadly we worldwide must expect more mass shootings out of the United States after all these years. Still random. but the randomness makes is what scares many. Sometimes I feel surprised the LGBT community wasn't viciously attacked much earlier like this given how they were, and still are, attacked by conservative evangelical Christians, along with fearful Muslims like Omar Mateen, with them spewing their hatred and bigotry. The person who killed them IMO surely was threatened of what saw as attacks of his rigid and top down ideas of masculinity and patriarchy. Culture can't stay static and ultimately goes into progress. Indeed there's a culture of fear and terror that still exists against the LGBT community even with the progress of legalized gay marriage last year and the transgender restroom issue. What Mateen did is, and must be seen as, an aberration to many Muslims. And I worry that Muslims, despite the vast diversity they have in their faith for over 2000 years, will get looked upon wrongly as all the same again with homophobia added. Can't be simplified into us versus them

I wish many of our national politicians would start realizing what worked back as we were an agrarian society doesn't apply now--and it ought not to take tragedy to do that for us. But it never worked so far. They, the lobbyists, and some of their constituents ought to act conscious in the long run about what's best for society and lessening the rampant individualism that hides behind the pro-gun stances, for example.

And I worry that Muslims, despite the vast diversity they have in their faith for over 2000 years, will get looked upon wrongly as all the same again

......just another bad apple i guess.

The bloodshed also comes as France hosts the Euro 2016 football tournament under tight security, still reeling from jihadist attacks in Paris last November that left 130 people dead.

Loud detonations were heard at the scene as RAID officers moved in following failed negotiations with the attacker.

One of the sadder things about this is sadly we worldwide must expect more mass shootings out of the United States after all these years. Still random. but the randomness makes is what scares many. Sometimes I feel surprised the LGBT community wasn't viciously attacked much earlier like this given how they were, and still are, attacked by conservative evangelical Christians, along with fearful Muslims like Omar Mateen, with them spewing their hatred and bigotry. The person who killed them IMO surely was threatened of what saw as attacks of his rigid and top down ideas of masculinity and patriarchy. Culture can't stay static and ultimately goes into progress. Indeed there's a culture of fear and terror that still exists against the LGBT community even with the progress of legalized gay marriage last year and the transgender restroom issue. What Mateen did is, and must be seen as, an aberration to many Muslims. And I worry that Muslims, despite the vast diversity they have in their faith for over 2000 years, will get looked upon wrongly as all the same again with homophobia added. Can't be simplified into us versus them

No, it can't and musn't be, you're right.

The aim should be to get more Muslims onto "our" side. You don't do that by making it an issue of Islam vs the West because people will always choose their religion (this is why right-wing nutjobs like Trump is so fucking stupid and dangerous). Instead, you make it an issue of Islamism vs the West .

That said, the left's recent position on this - pretending problems don't exist within Muslim communities, is wrong also. We can't ignore the fact that Muslims in the West are much more likely to believe homosexuality is wrong and should be punished than the general population. Similar surveys on issues like apostasy, freedom of religion, women's rights also show a greater proportion of Muslims believing in illiberal, draconian policies than the general population. There are ways of mitigating that - centrally funding liberal Muslim organisations (they do exist!) whilst freezing assets for organisations with more extreme leanings can help. Forcing Mosques and Madrassas to undergo regular inspections as state schools would is also something I agree with and not letting them have free reign out of misguided tolerance.

Anyway, this guy is much more eloquent than me. Read this: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/14/admit-it-these-terrorists-are-muslims.html

"Liberals who claim that this has nothing to do with Islam today are being as unhelpful and as ignorant as conservatives who claim that this represents all of Islam."

Edited by Rob.

i was at the dermatologist yesterday, I was chatting with the nurse while she prepped me and she was saying "Oh isn't this so sad what has happened', I said "it's unbelievable and making me really anxious, really unbelievable!". Then she said ".....and the worse part is how is this going to affect the Muslims community?" I looked at her in shock as she left the room and said "The doctor will be right in".

I was kind of in shock by that statement, is that really the worst part? Still trying to wrap my head around that.

Ex-wife’s says Club shooter was gay

i was at the dermatologist yesterday, I was chatting with the nurse while she prepped me and she was saying "Oh isn't this so sad what has happened', I said "it's unbelievable and making me really anxious, really unbelievable!". Then she said ".....and the worse part is how is this going to affect the Muslims community?" I looked at her in shock as she left the room and said "The doctor will be right in".

Nice but dim

...maybe I should start a Paris Terror thread? Terror in Paris ISIS fanatic who live streamed brutal murder of top cop and his wife ‘had hit list of VIPS, and rappers’ and threatened ‘Euro 2016 would be a graveyard’

Abballa live streamed the attack Facebook profile – under the name ‘Mohamed Ali’ – including a 13 minute video of the murders, and 15 photos, before it was suspended early this morning.

In video he called on Muslims to attack "police, journalists, public figures, prison guards and rappers," listing around a dozen well-known figures by name.

The jihadist then threatened to turn Euro 2016 into a graveyard, four days after the championships started in the country.

It has now been revealed the 25-year-old was sentenced to three years behind bars along with seven other men over links to a jihadi network in Pakistan.

Abballa was born in the Paris commuter town of Mantes-la-Jolie, close to the murder scene.

A source close to the case said: "It’s said that he shouted Allahu Akhbar during the attack, and spoke about his membership of Isis."

This problem is only going to get worse as Trump continues to enable ISIS through his divisive, isolationist and offensive rhetoric. Until Trump goes, these groups will only grow stronger. God help us all if he is elected...

What's the feeling over in London about the new mayors attempt to ban advertising that he deems "body shaming" like adds showing women's in swimsuits with great bodies? I mean is that for real? Getting very strange that the mayor would make anything like that controlling statements he made and tweeted about the issue........

This problem is only going to get worse as Trump continues to enable ISIS through his divisive, isolationist and offensive rhetoric. Until Trump goes, these groups will only grow stronger. God help us all if he is elected...

Islamic Terror was at a fever pitch way before Trump started Trumpin'. Heads coming of by the thousands, stuck on posts and fences, some sawed of with large serrated daggers ( that's popular!) people burned alive in cages or drowned in them (not sure which is worse...let's ask a libral), children executing prisoners and hostages with gunshots to the head on camera........

........yeah.....I'm not too worried about the radical Christians.

What's the feeling over in London about the new mayors attempt to ban advertising that he deems "body shaming" like adds showing women's in swimsuits with great bodies? I mean is that for real? Getting very strange that the mayor would make anything like that controlling statements he made and tweeted about the issue........

Weird that that's made the news over there.

It's not about banning pictures of women in swimsuits or anything like that. And it's not a city-wide ban either.

He's asked Transport for London (who run the Tube and buses and are under the Mayor's control) to not accept ads showing "unhealthy or unrealistic" body images. It's a move that's been encouraged by eating disorder charities and the like.

Whether it's over the top or will be effective I'm not really sure. I'm not sure how it's relevant to this thread either.

Edited by Rob.

Weird that that's made the news over there.

It's not about banning pictures of women in swimsuits or anything like that. And it's not a city-wide ban either.

He's asked Transport for London (who run the Tube and buses and are under the Mayor's control) to not accept ads showing "unhealthy or unrealistic" body images. It's a move that's been encouraged by eating disorder charities and the like.

Whether it's over the top or will be effective I'm not really sure. I'm not sure how it's relevant to this thread either.

To me this sounds like an attempt to imply that a Muslim mayor starts introducing islamic dress codes through the back door. Which is of course total rubbish.

To me this sounds like an attempt to imply that a Muslim mayor starts introducing islamic dress codes through the back door. Which is of course total rubbish.

Bingo... And besides I'm not sure what is so bad with that advert anyway because that ad is in no way unhealthy or unrealistic to me..

Oh I see...

Gosh, I wonder if that's how it's being reported on FOX or something?! Hilarious if so. :lol:

Nah, this minor issue has been rumbling in the background for a while. When Boris Johnson was Mayor there was pressure for him to use his powers to get rid of adverts on the Tube/buses like this - to ensure the huge network of ads on public transport isn't part of a problem of, particularly women, being surrounded by pictures of unattainable or overthin bodies. It's a pretty minor issue in the grand scheme of things, and I've heard very little fuss being made about it. Which is why I found it odd that an American suddenly brings it up here.

Edited by Rob.

...source.

Sadiq Khan: There will be no more 'body shaming' adverts on the Tube - The Evening Standard

tubead.jpg

Mr Khan said: “As the father of two teenage girls, I am extremely concerned about this kind of advertising which can demean people, particularly women, and make them ashamed of their bodies. It is high time it came to an end.

“Nobody should feel pressurised, while they travel on the Tube or bus, into unrealistic expectations surrounding their bodies and I want to send a clear message to the advertising industry about this.”

City Hall denied it was nannying Londoners.

Edited by paul

As opposed to Hillary who can barely use the words "radical terrorism" to describe what this really is? Don't get me wrong, I think Trump would be a disaster of epic proportions if elected president, but Obama isn't exactly helping the cause when it comes to battling ISIS.

• 5 weeks later...

Attack in Nice, France with truck driver driving into a crowd and killing 80-90 people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/truck-rams-bastille-day-crowd-in-southern-france/2016/07/14/18772ce6-4a0d-11e6-bdb9-701687974517_story.html

EDIT: Deleted my comment. This is not the time for debate.

Edited by Nacre