Fifty killed in deadliest mass shooting in recent US history

Fifty people are now known to have died in a shooting in a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida, and a state of emergency has been declared, the city's mayor Buddy Dyer has said.

The gunman, named by officials as Omar Mateen, was killed after taking hostages.

Another 53 people were injured in the shooting at the Pulse club.

It is the worst mass shooting in recent US history. Florida governor Rick Scott said it was "clearly an act of terror".

More @ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36512308

_89954960_033430054-1.jpg

Some City Commissioner (first gay or some such nonsense) in Orlando just gave a live interview and said we should focus on love and how we can help the terrorist (and like) by showing our understanding and compassion?! :blink:

nutso was obviously tong tied on live camera but WTF.

...typical.

Some City Commissioner (first gay or some such nonsense) in Orlando just gave a live interview and said we should focus on love and how we can help the terrorist (and like) by showing our understanding and compassion?! :blink:

nutso was obviously tong tied on live camera but WTF.

...typical.

I just saw her. Obviously speaking out of a hole in her head and in total self-denial.

Possibly saddest day for LGTB in a long time. And what angers me more is that the typical characters we already know well here are using this to say that now Gay people will vote for them. Disgusting.

On the other hand, a lot of muslims on Twitter were pretty much celebrating the shootings so now I don't know what to think.

And looks like IS said they did it. Jesus christ.

I know this is a tragedy but I should note the irony of America having warned all these days that an attack would happen in France during the Euro, and instead, it happened to them. Friendly reminder terrorists will always attack on the place you expect less.

What really terrifies me (and no doubt many others) is how much many of you (Americans) consider free gun ownership to be a - THE - integral part of what it means to be American. If the ability for anyone to buy a lethal weapon is a key plank of any national identity - that's sad.

What really terrifies me (and no doubt many others) is how much many of you (Americans) consider free gun ownership to be a - THE - integral part of what it means to be American. If the ability for anyone to buy a lethal weapon is a key plank of any national identity - that's sad.

And, on the other hand, you would have plenty of people which will try to justify this, saying that an armed person could had stopped the terrorist.

The state of the United States today can be summed up well with the word "sad".

Truly shocking - it's sickening how that fascist ideology looks for ever new aims: trade and business, Western culture in general, rock concerts, sports events and amusement parks in particular and now also the LGBT community in particular. The only comforting thing is that they will never prevail in their strife to destroy our culture, our liberties and our open societies. But that doesn't alter the fact that it's so incredibly senseless that those 50 people (and all the other victims of all the previous terrorist attacks in other parts of the world) "had" to die just because of their religion, their culture, their ethnic origin and/or their sexual orientation. As a German, it is particularly sickening for me that there is some new kind of Holocaust ideology that is able to do such horrible deeds.

• Like 1

Here's the thing about gun ownership in the United States. As much as I think the second amendment as it applies to the 21st century is a crock of sh1t, I understand to some extent the idea that people are legally allowed to own guns. However, the weapon used in Orlando wasn't just a gun. It was this..

13413077_10153975166201130_8684445261855

How in the fucking fuckity fuckfuck is it legal to obtain and possess something like that? All the folks hiding behind the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" argument seem to think that the assholes that commit these murders would find another weapon - possibly not a gun - to commit their crimes. 50 people died in this shooting. Pretty sure if something less than a semi-automatic weapon, there would be fewer people dead from this incident

• Like 4

Switzerland allows people to have guns since many centuries ago also because of traditions. Though that's because the military service on said country is obligatory and people can keep the weapons they use at the military with them if they wish for, making almost 70% of the people armed to the teeth. However you never hear of crazy incidents like these on Switzerland.

I think its mostly a problem with society and lack of responsability and mental stability to wear weapons rather than the Second Amendment, to be honest.

I am currently in Walt Disney World. This happened down the street at a place I could have realistically been in. I've seen people be told that someone they knew and worked with was one of the victims. I am at a place that provides a lot of employement for the community. And run by one of the earliest adapters of gay rights in employement and family status. This is beyond just someone on the news to me. And to find out this a$$hat was on the FBI each list. Had two interviews with the Feds was known to the FDLE and was still able to buy an assault rifle because republicans in congress didn't want to limit gun rights when they voted down a provision that anyone on the watch list couldn't buy guns. This was preventable. And that makes it a whole lot worse.

• Like 1

And yet, we will have to discuss the gun rights issue again, and again, and again. Has anything changed after previous killing sprees? No. Those ignorants of the NRA, the Republican Party or right in the middle of the American society make me puke - and still, after all those senseless deaths of the past and the (inevitable) senseless deaths of the future, they will fight for their archaic rights in a society that increasingly lacks the good old American "common sense" and instead, becomes ever more hateful and schizophrenic. And no, I don't reduce that social criticism to the USA - I see quite a similar irrational trend within Germany's society, only with the difference that here, the most extreme among the German people will rather tend to physically attack refugees and other foreigners or putting their homes on fire instead of shooting them (due to the stricter gun laws).

And to find out this a$$hat was on the FBI each list. Had two interviews with the Feds was known to the FDLE and was still able to buy an assault rifle because republicans in congress didn't want to limit gun rights when they voted down a provision that anyone on the watch list couldn't buy guns.

Wow, I had no idea they'd done that. That's scarily negligent. Is there no way these politicians can be held accountable, not just to the electorate, but in law? Some kind of trial of all the gun nuts in congress, or at the very least some kind of public enquiry? Impeachments against all who voted against the provision perhaps because this is more or less criminal negligence??

:angry:

Edited by Rob.

Wow, I had no idea they'd done that. That's scarily negligent. Is there no way these politicians can be held accountable, not just to the electorate, but in law? Some kind of trial of all the gun nuts in congress, or at the very least some kind of public enquiry? Impeachments against all who voted against the provision perhaps because this is more or less criminal negligence??

Nope; not really. Because the floodgates to buy a weapon in the US are open and all legal. That, and until they bring back racial profiling and being able to hold people indefinitely for no reason at all, this senseless killing is NOT going to stop.

And yet, we will have to discuss the gun rights issue again, and again, and again. Has anything changed after previous killing sprees? No. Those ignorants of the NRA, the Republican Party or right in the middle of the American society make me puke - and still, after all those senseless deaths of the past and the (inevitable) senseless deaths of the future, they will fight for their archaic rights in a society that increasingly lacks the good old American "common sense" and instead, becomes ever more hateful and schizophrenic. And no, I don't reduce that social criticism to the USA - I see quite a similar irrational trend within Germany's society, only with the difference that here, the most extreme among the German people will rather tend to physically attack refugees and other foreigners or putting their homes on fire instead of shooting them (due to the stricter gun laws).

Sandy Hook. When a classroom full of CHILDREN was murdered by a wackjob with an assault rifle and nothing was done in response, that was the day we know they ceased to give 2 shits.

• Like 2

One of the many things the USA copied from the UK was the concept that the Sovereign (translating roughly to the Federal Government) cannot be sued unless it agrees to waive its immunity.

Orlando shootings: Vigils held around the UK

Vigils are being held across the UK in memory of the 49 people killed in a shooting at a gay nightclub in Orlando.

Events are taking place in various cities to show solidarity and support for LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) people worldwide.

Hundreds of people have gathered in Glasgow's George Square, while London's vigil is being held in Soho.

US authorities say gunman Omar Mateen pledged allegiance to so-called Islamic State shortly before Sunday's attack.

Meanwhile, UK police are reviewing security for large-scale public events following the killings.

Home Secretary Theresa May told MPs it was right to examine security for forthcoming Gay Pride celebrations but said there were no plans for events to be cancelled.

Some 600 people have gathered in Glasgow's George Square, where floral tributes and lit candles have been placed. A rainbow flag is flying at half mast on Glasgow City Chambers.

Organiser Ciara McGuire said: "We're from Free Pride which is an LGBT community group in Glasgow and we just felt we needed a place where people could come and be around friends, and show solidarity with the people in Orlando as well."

The Soho vigil is expected to be attended by the new London mayor, Sadiq Khan.

Hundreds of people have gathered in Old Compton Street, at the heart of London's gay community, where the Admiral Duncan pub is located. Three people were killed and many more injured in a nailbomb attack on the gay pub in 1999.

The BBC's Rebecca Café, who is in Soho, says it is a subdued scene.

"Those gathered here say they are nervous, particularly as the annual Pride in London event is only a couple of weeks away, but they are determined to stand in unity," she said.

The vigil has been organised by the group London Stands With Orlando, whose description of the Soho vigil is, "London's gay village joins hands to honour victims of Pulse shooting".

It wrote on its Facebok page: "This evening's commemorative event is open to everybody, from all walks of life. We will stand together in solidarity against all who fight against the principles of peace, equality and liberty."

Other cities planning a vigil include Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Cardiff.

More @ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36520754

_89968932_89968931.jpg

Hundreds gathered in Old Compton Street, at the heart of London's gay community

Edited by Rob.