I have been trying to spend a half hour a day learning some Portuguese. But I was thinking.... I'll probably spend more time in Rio drinking Cerveja than I will speaking Portuguese. So today, I'm practicing that instead. All who will be in Brazil, or watching on TV, please join me.

PS - Any recommendations to try when I get to Rio?

If the weather is good you can have a caipirinha in some kiosk at Copacabana Beach and ask for a petisco. Bolinho de Bacalhau is the best for me. My german girlfriend consider the petisco a meal whe she comes to Brazil, but if you are angry like me, you can go to some of many Self Service Restaurants where you take your plate and chose the food you want (they have many options) and the quantity. You don't need to leave a tip in these restaurants. Our beer are not so different. I like more Antartica or Brhama. The last one you can find in many cities around the world. But we have Budweiser and Heineken also. Wines are expensive here but if money is not your problem, go to a churrascaria. I recomend the Porcão that is between Flamengo and Botafogo beaches.

Of course you can buy a caipirinha or a beer anywhere in the city but I recommended these places because they have a menu in english and can speak english also. In the airport, main hotels and touristic points like Corcovado and Sugar Loaf (and olympic venues I hope) you will have no problem with the language.

@Bezzi how much does it cost to lunch/have dinner in Rio? Some friends told me that is about R$50-70

It depends on the type of food and the location. I had lunch in an Arabic restaurant near Sugar Loaf Station for just 15 reais. A kebab with meat and onions. I don't even like onions but was delicious. The restaurants that are within the hotels are generally more expensive. Rio has many options to eat. You can also find world popular restaurants inside shopping centers like Outback. If you like italian food you can eat at Spoletto for just 20 reais. If you tell me the neighborhood where you are staying can give you more tips if I know the area.

If you tell me the neighborhood where you are staying can give you more tips if I know the area.

I'll stay close to Arpoador, like 2 blocks from Copacabana and 4 from Ipanema

Excellent location. You can go by walk to Ipanema or Copacabana. I prefer Copacabana. Take a short walk through the internal streets (the restaurants at Avenida Atlantica are expensive) and you will find a dozen of options for the day and night. You are far from shopping centers to go walking. You can take a taxi to Rio Sul or Shopping Leblon and pay about 10 reais. Taxis are cheap in Rio but it's hard to get one that speak english.

Is Über available there?

Uber? Yes.

https://www.uber.com/pt/cities/rio-de-janeiro/ - Site of Rio de Janeiro Uber Informations.

A place to visit in Rio de Janeiro .
The Palace of São Cristóvão ( Boa Vista). This is the palace where he lived the two emperors of Brazil , Dom Pedro I and Pedro II , and the Brazilian imperial family.
The palace and its gardens are next to the Maracana , a look at the video at 4:36 to see how close to the stadium.

any recommendations for the best app or website for public transport updates? What do the locals use to keep updated on public transport timetables and delays?

any recommendations for the best app or website for public transport updates? What do the locals use to keep updated on public transport timetables and delays?

Go to the local tourist desks. The bus stop I waited for on Princesa Ysabela Ave. had a tourist office right behind it; and they gave me the MOST DETAILED itinerary on how to get to Olympic Park when the desk at my hotel and the ladies at the ROCOG desk in the lobby catering to the Shooting teams could not.

https://www.metrorio.com.br/

• Like 1

Moovit is supposed to be pretty comprehensive for public transport.

I have been trying to spend a half hour a day learning some Portuguese. But I was thinking.... I'll probably spend more time in Rio drinking Cerveja than I will speaking Portuguese. So today, I'm practicing that instead. All who will be in Brazil, or watching on TV, please join me.

PS - Any recommendations to try when I get to Rio?

You'll likely see Skol or Brahma at most places. If you don't speak much Portuguese, just say the beer name and indicate the number with your fingers. Just don't use the last three fingers to indicate three beers.