TeamBlakeUSA

Tokyo 2020 Mascots

A is also getting its share of love by japanese fanartists

• Thanks 1

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/01/12-1/tokyo-olympic-committee-appoints-shokotan-as-member-of-mascot-selection-council

Akihiro Hino, CEO of Level-5 (the company which created Yokai Watch) was among the most prominent members of the mascot selection panel.

Well, this explains a lot about the heavy Yokai/mythological creature pandering. :lol: 

Heaven help the mascot candidates if Deviantart gets a hand on them, if it does, expect them to be turned into My Little Pony and other things I cannot mention here. Level 5 is also the company behind the Professor Layton series.

C is the clear winner in Japanese internet polls, but I'm actually surprised that B is slightly over A too. I'm eager to see how Japanese children will vote because I doubt A will get such a low support from them. Still, if Yo-kai Watch is really that popular in Japan, this is C's to lose.

I think C is a grower. The first impression may not be the best but I like them more and more every time.

Yeah, A started to have popularity initially but it seems they're becoming the least liked option. B is gaining lots of popularity with Japanese artists (specially those from the Kemono subculture).

While C is a grower it is also one of the least original proposals for many who are tired of the overused Yuru-Chara genre of mascots (typical simplistic mascots used for regions and cities in Japan). I mean, A and B are not exactly completly original (A looks a bit like Pokemon and B slighty like a Sonic character) but on terms of expressiveness and potential of depiction, I would vote for B anytime. 

Yet more fanart of B i've found.

And one from A

So far, B has been getting many fanart. Which means they might be actually the most liked option, contrary to what the Nico/Twitter polls say (I've barely seen fanart of C)

Someone on Twitter posted the proposal they submitted.

You know, it would had been much nicer if they shown a bit more of the 3 candidates such as expressions and sport performance, since it seems the candidates did those things.

The first picture here suggests a close vote between B and C. Could anybody please translate what’s written on the blackboard where A should be?

I’ve also checked Tokyo 2020 social media, where the three candidates have been promoted this weekend, and this is what it looks like right now:

· Facebook:

Candidate A: 962 total reactions (817 likes, 116 loves) and 48 comments

Candidate B: 404 total reactions (332 likes, 67 loves) and 19 comments

Candidate C: 936 total reactions (769 likes, 147 loves) and 61 comments

· Twitter (in English):

Candidate A: 103 RTs, 167 likes and 7 replies

Candidate B: 161 RTs, 214 likes and 6 replies

Candidate C: 202 RTs, 264 likes and 2 replies

· Twitter (in Japanese):

Candidate A: 195 RTs, 309 likes and 1 reply

Candidate B: 243 RTs, 364 likes and 4 replies

Candidate C: 320 RTs, 499 likes and 8 replies

· Instagram:

Candidate A: 1601 likes and 21 comments

Candidate B: 1828 likes and 26 comments

Candidate C: 2617 likes and 64 comments

DQv_wtdVAAAgPsT.jpg

DQv_xouUEAASeef.jpg

DQv_ywHVoAA0iFq.jpg

DQv_zwYUIAIfk-l.jpg

https://tokyo2020.jp/en/news/notice/20171211-01.html

Schoolchildren Commence Voting for Tokyo 2020 Games Mascots

Voting for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games mascots kicked off today, with 6.5 million children at elementary schools across Japan given the opportunity to choose their favourite from three shortlisted pairs – each containing one mascot for the Olympic Games and one for the Paralympic Games. Each class can cast a single vote for their chosen mascots at any time in the 10-week voting period.

Following a review of 2,042 entries submitted by the public, the Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (Tokyo 2020) shortlisted three pairs of designs and unveiled them to the public on Thursday, 7 December.

Through this mascot selection process, Tokyo 2020 aims to engage the youth of Japan. By encouraging discussion between classmates, Tokyo 2020 wants children to learn about the significant role mascots play in the Olympic and Paralympic Games, as well as the values of the Olympic and Paralympic Movements.

In Tokyo for a visit of the International Olympic Committee Coordination Commission for the Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020, Commission Chairman John Coates said, “This is an innovative way of engaging the public in the Olympic Movement, especially the young children. Interest in the Games will only increase from here, especially as kids from more than 20,000 schools all over Japan begin voting on their favourite mascot today.”

Andrew Parsons, International Paralympic Committee President, added: “The mascot for any Olympic and Paralympic Games is always idolized. I think this is a wonderful, innovative idea to allow the younger generation in Japan to choose the mascots for the Tokyo 2020 Games. Having 3D models of each mascot for visually impaired youngsters to touch and feel ensures the voting process is inclusive, and is a move that the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee deserves great credit for. It will also help compliment the IPC's I'mPOSSIBLE education initiative that was launched in Japan earlier this year.”

Yoshiro Mori, Tokyo 2020 President, said, “I would like to ask schools to take this opportunity to engage students in discussions before voting. By doing so, children can become more interested in the Olympic and Paralympic Games, and remember for the rest of their lives that they played an important part in them. All elementary schools in Japan are eligible to vote. I want everyone to get involved.”

Classes from Tokyo Metropolitan Fuchu Keyakinomori Gakuen special needs school as well as Tobitakyu Elementary School and Yoshiida Elementary School of Fukushima City were among the first to take part in the voting on Monday. Pupils discussed the competing designs before casting their vote, one per class.

Tobitakyu Elementary School is located in Tokyo's Chofu city, home of Tokyo Stadium where football, rugby and modern pentathlon events will be held, and of the Musashino Forest Sport Plaza which will host badminton and modern pentathlon's fencing event for the Olympic Games and wheelchair basketball during the Paralympic Games.

Tokyo 2020 is encouraging all elementary schools to participate in preparations for the Games, and is making various educational materials publicly available in support of this initiative.

Tokyo 2020 launched in April 2017 a nationwide Education Programme, called “Yoi Don!" in Japanese, or “Get Set” in English. It is an initiative in which Tokyo 2020 accredits schools that agree to use for educational purposes materials produced or authorised by Games organisers. As a part of the programme and in conjunction with the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, in the spring of 2017 Tokyo 2020 published elementary school, middle school and high school editions of textbooks covering the Olympic and Paralympic Games, all of which are available for download from Tokyo 2020's website.

In addition, the Japanese edition of the Olympic Values Education Programme (OVEP) – a series of free teaching and accessible resources created by the International Olympic Committee – is currently being prepared. It communicates the benefit of sport and physical activity through an understanding of Olympism and its impact on individual health, enjoyment and social interaction. The toolkit is currently available in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish.

Tokyo 2020 has also published the Japanese version of the “I'mPOSSIBLE” educational toolkit, designed to engage young people in the Paralympic Movement. Focusing on raising awareness of Paralympic values and on the importance of inclusion, the programme aims to challenge and change perceptions of young people towards those with an impairment. I'mPOSSIBLE was launched this spring and the toolkit has been distributed to 20,000 elementary schools across Japan.

To facilitate and support the mascot selection process in classrooms, Tokyo 2020, in conjunction with the University of Tsukuba and the Japan Sports Agency, has prepared a “Proposed Lesson Plan for Teachers”, with an option of one, two or three 45-minute classes. These aim to help teachers communicate Olympic and Paralympic values and to explain the roles played by the Games mascots.

Elementary school classes have until 22 February to cast their vote. International schools in Japan and Japanese schools overseas will join in the voting. The pair of mascots receiving the most votes will be announced as the winner on 28 February. The Mascot Selection Panel will then decide names for the winning mascots and these will make their formal debut in July or August 2018.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20171211/k10011254451000.html

Report from NHK. It seems most of the kids had a hard time selecting because they liked them all, so they made their decisions based on the personalities of the candidates.

Wild weather in the center of the Sea of Japan side

Voting begins by primary school students electing the Tokyo Olympic and para mascot
December 11th at 16: 3 Tokyo Olympics - Para
On the mascot of the Tokyo Olympic Games and the Paralympic Games chosen by elementary school students, the vote for the final three candidates began on the 11th, and at elementary schools and special support schools in Tokyo, the students chose preferences and chose candidates to vote .

Regarding the mascot that will be the face of the Tokyo convention in 2020, the organizing committee decides by elementary school student nationwide voting by class, and three final works will be announced on the 7th of this month, and from 11th Voting began.

In the special support school in Fuchu-shi, Tokyo, Fuchu Keyaki no Mori Gakuen has six children in the elementary school, one class. I picked up the model of the work and chose a candidate to discuss and vote for discussion.

A third-graded girls student said, "Everything was cute so it was difficult to choose, I hope the selected mascot cheers up the players."

In addition, at Tobu Shimbun Elementary School in Chofu City, 27 groups of 4 students are divided into groups and after discussions on works such as "like Japan" or "cute", the final decision is made on candidates to vote by majority vote It was.

After choosing, one of the boys said, "Every work was fun and cute, so I was really bothered by it and I made a judgment based on the characters' character."

The deadline for voting is February 22 next year, and the organizing committee calls for participation in as many elementary schools as possible.

https://www.nikkansports.com/general/nikkan/news/201712110000605.html

It seems, according to this article, the fight was heated between options B and C. 14 vs 13 votes.

An elementary school student vote to decide the mascot of the Tokyo Olympic Paralympic Games in 2020 began on the 11th. On this day on the first day of the vote, one class of 4 years, Kofu Municipal Tokyo Koi Municipal Government released classes. Discussing each group and presenting their opinions, we gathered opinions as a class with hands.

The plan is "I" plan of the "Paralympic version" which modeled the wind and the sky using the "Olympic edition" born of flames and the earth as a model, using the fox of a lucky cat and a shrine as a model. The final ballot with the "W" modeled on foxes and raccoon dogs was a great battle with 14 vs. 13.

Special education school in Fuchu-shi, Tokyo Metropolitan Fuchu Kakui no Mori Gakuen also presents classes by the elementary school students. After checking the role of the mascot, we presented opinions based on the 3D model. The idea "I" supported by such as the tail flame "It makes me feel good" was decided by unanimous agreement.

The vote is closed on February 22 next year. The result will be announced on 28th, and the mascot chosen by primary school student for the first time in Olympus history will be decided. Of the approximately 20,000 schools nationwide, 6356 schools nearly one-third have pre-registered for voting.

Seems like option B (The Lucky Cat and the Komainu) barely won for today, though I dont know if it was at just one school or in many schools from Kofu (one of Tokyo many municipalities). 

I'll try posting more reports here whenever I find them. 

On 7/12/2017 at 1:18 PM, Athan said:

As for B, the only negative aspect I can think about is the insect eyes that look a little strange, yet I don’t know why they seem the least likely winner.

I guess I'll have to rethink this... :P

Kyoto Intl. School has published the results of their voting. A was the clear winner there:

Seems like option A is overwhelmingly popular with girls. Not surprise since both genders are represented on this option. And considering the Olympics are pushing harder than ever to bring gender equality these days, I think this is A strongest point. 

https://sakamobi.com/news/tokyo-olympic-mascot

A won as well in a Tokyo Elementary School

fbe92474862077268e1873cdb57dc326-580x653

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20171212-00010011-minyu-l07

According to this article, B won at a Fukushima school. Same as in a Kofu school. 

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/lnews/okayama/4023437721.html

At Ishii Elementary School in Kita Ward, Okayama City, Option C won. 

15 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Seems like option A is overwhelmingly popular with girls. Not surprise since both genders are represented on this option. And considering the Olympics are pushing harder than ever to bring gender equality these days, I think this is A strongest point. 

Absolutely, although if I'm not mistaken, the rules specified that the mascots had to be genderless, so they can't really make much use of that.

It also appears that the youngest students tend not to like C very much, whereas older students are more likely to vote C.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20171216-00010001-jomo-l10

In a Gunma prefecture school, option A won by a large margin. (51). Option B got 26 and Option C 23. The class was made mostly by girls. 

A male child of Kiryu Kitaomon that chooses A was drawn to a design that made us feel the future, "Japan is reminiscent of a robot equipped with artificial intelligence (AI) that puts emphasis on development and is near future and cool" It seems. The girls' child in Tatebayashi eight and six years said "It is impressive to have the convention emblem on top of both eyes, there is sense of unity, both colors and patterns are fashionable."

Some updates I've found:

A was the clear winner at the Japanese School in Perth, Australia with four classroom votes. One vote for B and none for C.

Option A seems to have won at this school in Okinawa too.

http://www.okinawatimes.co.jp/articles/-/196301

I don't know what happened here but there's a picture in which option A appears crossed out on the board, so I guess it was between B and C.

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASL1D4FPWL1DUTQP00S.html

And finally, it was B or C leading at the moment of the last picture at the American School in Japan, but the final results aren't shown.

With a little more than one month to go before the final decision, the Organizing Comittee has announced the number of votes so far.

https://www.nikkansports.com/general/nikkan/news/201801230000192.html

As of 19th, 5141 schools and 60 thousand 105 classes have voted. There are about 21,000 schools nationwide, and 139,85 schools, about 65% of which are registered for participation in the vote. In addition, 92 Japanese schools outside the country have expressed their participation.

At an International School at France, it seems A won though it was a close race between both A and C options.

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASL1M46TLL1MUTQP022.html

Proposal C won at an Hiroshima school

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180124-00000007-tssv-l34

On 5/2/2018 at 6:13 AM, mr.bernham said:

Is it known which mascot leads overall? Has someone tallied all the vote wins?

No. More than 60,000 classes had already voted two weeks ago and we only know about 20 approximately, less than 0.04%. Only counting these 20 schools, it's a close race between A and B, with C far behind.