Tokyo 2020 Mascots

Taniguchi Ryo, frpm Fukuoka, who has a Bachelor of Arts in the US, is the designer of the mascots.

He also has a Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/ryofute

https://www.nikkansports.com/general/nikkan/news/201802280000037.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nikkansports_ogp

Tokyo Olympic Mascot Ryo Taniguchi, Bachelor of Arts in the USA / Biography

The 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games mascot was decided as a proposal for "Future Robot Type". It was chosen by the "National Elementary School Student Election" (the deadline for the 22nd) in which about 200,000 classes voted in about 280,000 elementary schools throughout the country, and the organizing committee of the convention announced the result of the vote on 28th. The number of votes was 100, 00041 votes. 

Creator of a draft is Fukuoka prefecture character designer Ryo Taniguchi (43). Biography is as follows.  

◆ Riku Taniguchi (Tanuguchi · Ryo) Born in Fukuoka Prefecture on September 5, 1974 (49). After graduating from high school in Japan, in 1997 he got a Bachelor of Arts in Cabrio University in California. After returning home, we started producing original characters, cultivating personal connections while selling character goods on the street, and now reaches the present. Education system publisher Benesse, the pet character "Star Dog" of the English teaching material "BE-GO Step Up" for elementary school students, the same teaching material "BE-GO Let's Talk" as the navigate character of "Challenge Touch" I worked on the character "Mystic Cat". In addition, Matsumoto Iyo and Hayami Yu are in charge of designing the CD jacket of the second single "I Wanna Dance" of the member's "Cutie Mommy". Also produced the main character "Japan Exposure - Thailand 2016", "Genki & Mu - chan". I also worked on the character illustration of "Hot sushi" of Hakata Police Station / Security Association. I live in Fukuoka prefecture.

So the 20 schools we knew about turned out to be quite representative of the outcome! :lol:

Not only Twitter favourite became the least liked option among children but also the winning mascots were the least popular in social media, so I'm afraid that's the reason why many reactions are not as positive as expected. There are many people saying the winning mascots are too generic, not distinctively Japanese and also many "B/C was better" comments, but I guess that's normal when other candidates are shown and people can make comparisons.

Despite C being my favourite, I like the winning Olympic mascot. I agree that it may not be extremely original, but it has some characteristic elements both in terms of design and personality that I really like. Not sure about the Paralympic mascot though. I was hoping for a short video to see them in motion and have a more accurate opinion but it seems we'll have to wait until summer.

Any suggestions for their names?

5 hours ago, BigVic said:

I preferred C. 

Soohorang was popular during the recently-completed Games but the Tokyo 2020 macot will have huge shoes to fill in 

..he was the best.....cute and furry.....and he had a cute hat sometimes. NO WAY Tokyo will ever be so cool.

• Like 1

Yeah, I dare to say lil Soohorang might be one of the best if not the best Olympics mascot we had in a very long time. He proved to be very popular with everyone, from koreans to athletes and netizens as well. I literally never saw anyone who disliked him. The organizing comittee did a good job developing and giving the mascot a lot of spotlight (being present nearly everywhere, from the ceremonies to the medal awards and spectators taking a selfie of a Soohorang plushie with the events).

However that doesn't means I dislike this mascot. In fact, I rooted for A from the very beginning since I feel its the one which fits perfectly like a ring in the finger with the brand and futuristic message of the games. Say all you want, but these literally scream Made in Japan when you look at them. And if the organizing committee develops the duo as well as PC2018 did with Soohorang (they should really make a mini-anime of them or at least a short anime video when they properly present them next summer) , they could also become a winning duo. After all we're talking about the country which are experts at marketing with an endless count of little critters like these. 

Just posting another fanart I saw of the winning option.

Well, at least they have a cute appeal despite the futurism. Their bodies are also stylized so using them on sport pictograms shouldn't be complicated. London mascots were so stiff and creepy. 

Also, I wonder if there will be some kind of small redesign from here to summer. Maybe some didn't noticed but when Soohorang was first released, his skin was initially slighty grey-ish with a white tummy, until they made him fully white in the end. 

A lot of people are being immature as hell at the Tokyo 2020 twitter (read the comments), even calling for the decision to be pulled back. Why would you want to pull back at the many kids who voted with hopes of picking a mascot? When I see people acting like this i'm glad it were kids who were in charge of picking the mascot instead.

1 minute ago, SkiFreak said:

I'm wondering why they didn't go for multiple mascots like Beijing 2008.

IOC probably noticed this and ever since Rio it seems there is a new rule of making one mascot for the Olympics and one for the Paralympics. To be honest, this works better, because ever since Beijing, multiple mascots started to really feel overkill and cause a lose of focus on a single mascot which could be much more memorable. One of the reasons, at least for me, behind Soohorang success. 

I'm certainly not disappointed with them. I quite liked C, but A was a very close second, and I'm sure glad they came through. In fact, they'll probably work better in the materials now leading up to the games.

Jeez, my mascot sig is getting crowded now - who can I drop? Maybe the YOG ones (I'm looking at you Nanjing Pebble)?

... speaking of which, have I missed something? Have we seen a Buenos Aires 2018 mascot yet?

Actually, just did a search:

Mascot-Buenos-Aires-2018-.jpg

F*ck me dead!!! Please tell me that, whatever it is, isn't the mascot!!!!

Edited by Sir Rols

I don't know if this only one Olympic and one Paralympic mascot trend is a new requirement or has just been a coincidence, probably the latter, but I really hope it lasts for a long time. One mascot is definitely much more memorable than a group of them.

Really happy A won. I liked C, but A fits the entire brand of the games much more. Not to mention, I think they'll be able to do some cool futuristic looking stuff with these mascots. I mean the Paralympic mascot has jet wings...come on...these are gonna be some cool mascots.

I just hope their backstory isn't as strange as London's.

8 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

I'm certainly not disappointed with them. I quite liked C, but A was a very close second, and I'm sure glad they came through. In fact, they'll probably work better in the materials now leading up to the games.

Jeez, my mascot sig is getting crowded now - who can I drop? Maybe the YOG ones (I'm looking at you Nanjing Pebble)?

... speaking of which, have I missed something? Have we seen a Buenos Aires 2018 mascot yet?

Actually, just did a search:

Mascot-Buenos-Aires-2018-.jpg

F*ck me dead!!! Please tell me that, whatever it is, isn't the mascot!!!!

it has a vibe like this...

wcvWF2j.gif