normal things in your city/area that other people think are cool

Living in an area where ferries are just a daily part of life, I never think about them. But my dying aunt is visiting this weekend, and the first thing she wants to do is take a ferry ride.

ferry-mt-baker.jpg?w=812

Meanwhile I am jealous of the metro systems of New York, London, etc that people there take for granted. What other kinds of things go ignored by the residents of cities but wow visitors?

Edited by Nacre

• i find a the hollywood sign a little creepy. i have these dreams where i turn around and the giant hollywood sign is like right next to me. i hate it.

walk of fame. it's seedy af down there.

the beach... i used to fetishize california beaches too, but living here i go there often, even in the off season. still love it.

west hollywood, it's kinda boring. i haven't been back since nykfan was in town

seeing celebrities -- STILL COOL. sorry, probably lame to admit that, but it's rarely something you plan on, so a nice happy accident. i've seen bigger stars, but seeing tracy gold and fran drescher having lunch was like, the second greatest moment in my life next to watching laura tesoro slay at eurovision.

I feel the same way about you and the public transportation of other cities, mainly cities with subways. Absolutely love riding the subways! I take it every time I can when I'm in Toronto. Also loved taking them in Madrid and Barcelona.

As far as for my area, people love to flock to Galveston, even locals. Although it's nice to be that close to the ocean, there's nothing appealing about it. I'd rather fly hours to a beautiful beach than drive just an hour for that eyesore.

Also, all my British friends go crazy about the chain restaurants in North America. I was in Niagara Falls and Toronto just recently, and they all went to Denny's diner a lot, too damn much. They also went nuts over In N Out when they came to Phoenix last October, which I also tried for the first time and it was nothing special. It's hard not to believe the stereotype of British food being awful when they drool over trying American major chain restaurants.

New Zealand as a whole...

Don't believe the pictures and the hype.

The median house price in Auckland now sits around US$600k.

20% of the population live in poverty.

Very multicultural but does have racial issues regarding indigenous affairs.

Public transport isn't great, there is no long distance rail transport. But well patronised and reasonably cheap air travel...especially "grab a seat" deals. Bus travel cheap and convenient and safe.

The rivers that have the "wow" factor are polluted to the point in downstream areas of wading status only.

Behind the nice views are everyday people who really just want to get on with their day and not interested in why you can't read a map.

However you will find more idilic places in the non advertised areas of the country... And people a lot more friendlier, not willing to take you for a "bum ride".

For a good long time, my daily commute into to work used to be...

ferry-on-sydney-harbour.jpg

And the thing is, after a while I did forget the surroundings and just bury my face in a book as the bridge, harbour and Opera House went by. That said, I didi catch a couple of "wow" moments, like a morning when humpback whales were cavorting directly in the ferry's route, or the time in September 2000 when I caught the ferry home just at the same time the Olympic torch was leaving the Manly ferry at another wharf.

Also, all my British friends go crazy about the chain restaurants in North America.

LOL - I remember the first time I went to the States, and one of the big experiences was to try out all the different chains. Talking about great experiences often overlooked by the locals, these days one of my favourite things every time I go to SF is to just try and go to a different taqueria each day (usually in the Mission district). Great food for breakfast, lunch or dinner!

I have running water and a stable flow of electricity in my area.

Also, all my British friends go crazy about the chain restaurants in North America. I was in Niagara Falls and Toronto just recently, and they all went to Denny's diner a lot, too damn much. They also went nuts over In N Out when they came to Phoenix last October, which I also tried for the first time and it was nothing special. It's hard not to believe the stereotype of British food being awful when they drool over trying American major chain restaurants.

lol Denny's

lol Denny's

I live in the Olympic Village of the 1976 Games.

To go to work, I have to pass everyday in front of the Olympic Stadium.

I used to work from 1989 to 1996 at the Montreal Forum (for the Montreal Canadiens Hockey Club, winner of 24 Stanley Cup), the venue in 1976 where Nadia Comaneci got her famous perfects 10

Probably more because we don't have that many American style diners here - so it was a novelty. I doubt they eat any worse than you really.

It's also worth noting that Denny's is open 24 hours, so if you are traveling in North America and want to eat at 2 AM it's likely your only option. That has been my only reason for ever eating there, anyway.

• Like 1

It's also worth noting that Denny's is open 24 hours, so if you are traveling in North America and want to eat at 2 AM it's likely your only option. That has been my only reason for ever eating there, anyway.

Well they're the most common of places available, but far from the only option, especially in a major city and depending on your location. There's a good number of places here that are open 24hrs to eat besides Denny's and IHOP (which if you have to do either of the 2, do IHOP), but it's certainly something that you would have to ask people in the know to tell you where these places are. Or use Yelp it's pretty accurate.

In the UK, motorways (freeway-type limited access highways) are designed with "services" at reasonably frequent intervals (typically less than a half-hour drive). Fuel, toilet and at least basic snack facilities have to be open 24 hours.

Well they're the most common of places available, but far from the only option, especially in a major city and depending on your location.

Yes, but there are not many restaurants open 24 hours outside of major cities.

In the UK, motorways (freeway-type limited access highways) are designed with "services" at reasonably frequent intervals (typically less than a half-hour drive). Fuel, toilet and at least basic snack facilities have to be open 24 hours.

Gas (petrol) stations are open 24 hours in the USA as well. Denny's is a full service restaurant, though.