Pyeongchang 2018 ticket prices announced

https://issuu.com/thatsnotmypuppy/docs/pyeongchang_2018_ticket_prices

So let's just assume CoSport will practically be double but here are the official prices...

Opening Ceremony
KRW 1,500,000, 800,000, 600,000, 220,000
AUD 1,759, 938, 703, 258
Closing Ceremony
KRW 950,000, 600,000, 400,000, 220,000
AUD 938, 703, 469, 258
The cheapest seats come in at KRW 20,000/AUD$24 (Bobsleigh prelims, Nordic Combined, Ice Hockey womens prelim rounds, Biathlon, Cross Country).
Figure Skating, Short Track and the Ice Hockey finals come in at the high end but that is to be expected.
I guess my planning starts now.
Edited by thatsnotmypuppy

Interesting. Some things are a lot cheaper compared to Vancouver, others are much more expensive. But overall not horrible pricing.

I'm happy - the sliding sports, hockey prelims and ski jumping are all "well" priced.

I'll apply for a B reserve opening ticket as assuming I get 3/5ths of what I want (my usual strike rate) my ticket order will end up under AUD $2,000.

So yeah - similar to Vancouver.

https://issuu.com/thatsnotmypuppy/docs/pyeongchang_2018_ticket_prices

So let's just assume CoSport will practically be double but here are the official prices...

Opening Ceremony
KRW 1,500,000, 800,000, 600,000, 220,000
AUD 1,759, 938, 703, 258
Closing Ceremony
KRW 950,000, 600,000, 400,000, 220,000
AUD 938, 703, 469, 258
The cheapest seats come in at KRW 20,000/AUD$24 (Bobsleigh prelims, Nordic Combined, Ice Hockey womens prelim rounds, Biathlon, Cross Country).
Figure Skating, Short Track and the Ice Hockey finals come in at the high end but that is to be expected.
I guess my planning starts now.

That's not too bad in US. It's on par with what previous games have charged.

I did figure the exchange of about 1000 Won for a dollar was going to make these games a bit more affordable. I mean the Won has tanked over the last 5ish years and most accounts are that Korea is a very affordable country in comparison to Hong Kong/Japan/Singapore. I think they are going to struggle with selling the hockey tickets especially if the NHL isn't there. Curling I think will be a surprise hit, it was in Nagano.

Perhaps their currency isn't doing so well, but I think the US dollar is getting stronger. I was just in Canada and man it could not have been more affordable! Granted the taxes there are still between 13-15%, bUT even then you come out on top. Europe has also become very affordable, much more than 4 years ago. Even the pound sterling is a bit more reasonable than years back.

*I think the US dollar is another reason why the tickets are affordable.

I did figure the exchange of about 1000 Won for a dollar was going to make these games a bit more affordable. I mean the Won has tanked over the last 5ish years and most accounts are that Korea is a very affordable country in comparison to Hong Kong/Japan/Singapore. I think they are going to struggle with selling the hockey tickets especially if the NHL isn't there. Curling I think will be a surprise hit, it was in Nagano.

Curling was still new in Nagano. I don't know if it still holds the same 'WTF' cache as it did in '98. Then again - slap Hello Kitty or Gudetama on the stones and watch those tickets sell. (Please note this is a legit point - not some Asian stereotype. I've been unfortunate enough to be at a Japanese mall when the Sanrio store released a limited edition Gudetama plushy and the place was insane).

Perhaps their currency isn't doing so well, but I think the US dollar is getting stronger. I was just in Canada and man it could not have been more affordable! Granted the taxes there are still between 13-15%, bUT even then you come out on top. Europe has also become very affordable, much more than 4 years ago. Even the pound sterling is a bit more reasonable than years back.

*I think the US dollar is another reason why the tickets are affordable.

With the Aussie dollar also tanking again it'll be a "moderately" expensive Games for me. I honestly think commuting from Seoul may be the best option - it is hard to find any hotel info (outside of Alpensia)...

• 2 months later...
On 5/30/2016 at 7:21 PM, thatsnotmypuppy said:

Curling was still new in Nagano. I don't know if it still holds the same 'WTF' cache as it did in '98. Then again - slap Hello Kitty or Gudetama on the stones and watch those tickets sell. (Please note this is a legit point - not some Asian stereotype. I've been unfortunate enough to be at a Japanese mall when the Sanrio store released a limited edition Gudetama plushy and the place was insane).

With the Aussie dollar also tanking again it'll be a "moderately" expensive Games for me. I honestly think commuting from Seoul may be the best option - it is hard to find any hotel info (outside of Alpensia)...

I've started to look at this option as well. I forgot how small a country Korea was, and I'm hoping that Seoul doesn't suffer the same hotel price increases Alpensia and the coastal city will. 

The Sea of Japan gets pretty rough in winter and I don't see on google earth that the Koreans have built a closed harbour... may be an interesting choice...

I was not a fan of the cruise ships in Sochi.. seemed a bit... meh. I don't know - just didn't feel really part of the vibe in the city.  Great location wise though.

On 8 août 2016 at 7:12 AM, thatsnotmypuppy said:

The Sea of Japan gets pretty rough in winter and I don't see on google earth that the Koreans have built a closed harbour... may be an interesting choice...

I thought there was a plan for a harbor for cruise ships south of Gangneung, but I can't find the quote.