Euro 2016

• 2 weeks later...

How do people think Euro 2016 has impacted Paris' Olympic chances?

I said earlier in this thread it'd make or break them. If there was a huge security breach or a terrorist incident inside a stadium Paris wouldn't be able to recover, but if there wasn't they'd come out much stronger having proven their security credentials.

I was wrong. It hasn't been a case of make or break.

There wasn't a huge security breach but there were a few small incident like flares in stadiums and lack of stewards. Strikes on public transport have given fans problems too. And niggly things like the moth infestation and unfinished transport in Lens (leaving fans with a long walk to the stadium) have been talking points.

I think Paris is still favourite for 2024, and Euro 2016 was generally well organised, but it's not the total triumph the bid team would've hoped for.

• Like 1

I said earlier in this thread it'd make or break them. If there was a huge security breach or a terrorist incident inside a stadium Paris wouldn't be able to recover, but if there wasn't they'd come out much stronger having proven their security credentials.

There wasn't a huge security breach but there were a few small incident like flares in stadiums and lack of stewards. Strikes on public transport have given fans problems too. And niggly things like the moth infestation and unfinished transport in Lens (leaving fans with a long walk to the stadium) have been talking points.

I think Paris is still favourite for 2024, and Euro 2016 was generally well organised, but it's not the total triumph the bid team would've hoped for.

I think it's important to say that most of the incidents was not located in Paris, except for the moths

But agree with you, is not a triumph, but, we have the handball world cup in january 2017 for give better impression, even if, i know, it's not the same scale of popularity and mediatisation.

I agree. Having gone to Euros myself and saw what was happening first hand. it was simply a Blah event nothing epic or grand just a tournament. It definitely wasn't the "we hosted the best most successful Euros!" moment. which Ironically the US has been able to say that about recently hosting Copa. That was a major success on all fronts. granted hosted over a larger country.

Euro 2016 doesn't hurt Paris 2024's chances but it was supposed to be the "go to" argument in their presentation, their crown jewel.

It definitely wasn't the "we hosted the best most successful Euros!" moment. which Ironically the US has been able to say that about recently hosting Copa. That was a major success on all fronts. granted hosted over a larger country.

The Copa America was not a complete success, as there were lots of empty seats and tickets were shockingly expensive. Seattle averages 44,000 fans for its local club team and attracted only 20,000 fans for Haiti vs Peru. There simply isn't any appetite to see the mediocre teams in the region play; they only did well with the bigger teams like Brazil (which were pathetic), Argentina, Columbia, Chile, the USA and Mexico. Canada would have done well too, if only they had beaten Haiti in qualifying.

Admittedly that's a product of geography, though. Europeans travel better because Europe is a lot denser and richer than the Americas.

Other than the awfully boring play, I thought the Euros showed the advantage of Paris well. A Parisian Olympics would gather the European fans just like London 2012 did. The fans and smaller countries (Iceland!) were the real stars of Euro 2016, and it would be the same at Paris 2024.

Edited by Nacre

The Copa America was not a complete success, as there were lots of empty seats and tickets were shockingly expensive. Seattle averages 44,000 fans for its local club team and attracted only 20,000 fans for Haiti vs Peru. There simply isn't any appetite to see the mediocre teams in the region play; they only did well with the bigger teams like Brazil (which were pathetic), Argentina, Columbia, Chile, the USA and Mexico. Canada would have done well too, if only they had beaten Haiti in qualifying.

Admittedly that's a product of geography, though. Europeans travel better because Europe is a lot denser and richer than the Americas.

Other than the awfully boring play, I thought the Euros showed the advantage of Paris well. A Parisian Olympics would gather the European fans just like London 2012 did. The fans and smaller countries (Iceland!) were the real stars of Euro 2016, and it would be the same at Paris 2024.

Your're forgetting one thing. The Market! Copa was a success because it made the most money of any Copa Tournament and records of attendance, in a market that admittedly doesn't follow soccer. played in stadiums that seat 100 thousand plus people for American football games. If this were held in other countries most of the stadiums would have been smaller anyway allowing for it to look packed. For a football tournament held in the states Copa did amazingly well. There is no getting around that. Yes the tickets we expensive but people still bought it and made it the most financially successful Copa which when you look at the bottom line of hosting any major event, it's did we make money and what was the lasting impression. Copa didn't have the transportation issues France had even though Copa was spread out over a larger country and like France the US provided a safe environment. To be honest the issue here is Paris is the front runner, and prior to Euros we were all saying Euros is a bigger deal to host than anything that LA has hosted recently so if that's the case then France needed to hit this out of the park as the front runner, cause the expectations are high. Not saying Euros was a failure but it wasn't anything to write home about. I was there, even people in France were blah about it only until the french team made it to the finals.

So if the event that you were boasting about was just "ok" then if I'm an IOC member, I may not jump ship just yet on Paris but I'd definitely start looking at the other bids a bit more closely especially when Copa broke so many records for that tournament.

This cycle is a game of expectations. France has been the deficit front runner from the start so people expect them to show up. La came in late to the process as the back up to Boston. So folks are already looking at them like you weren't even the first choice for the US why should we chose you now? But quite frankly a lot of things have been going in LA's favor and Paris to me has been making some strange moves for a city that should in essence be running away with 2024.

• 6 months later...

EURO boosted French economy by over €1.2bn
Published: Wednesday 25 January 2017, 10.30CET

UEFA EURO 2016 was an undoubted success for the French economy with an injection of over €1.2bn from visitors to the country during the tournament.

The 13 cities hosting matches at UEFA EURO 2020 could be in for a potential financial windfall, after a study revealed that UEFA EURO 2016 boosted the French economy to the tune of over €1.2bn.

The report, undertaken jointly by the Limoges-based Centre for Sports Law and Economy (CDES) and the KENEO agency, found that the impact of officials and participating teams, coupled with 613,000 visitors, swelled French coffers by €1.22bn.

"There is no doubt that hosting a UEFA EURO is a massive financial benefit to any region," said the CEO of UEFA Events SA, Martin Kallen, who was also the tournament director for UEFA EURO 2016.

"UEFA EURO 2016 showed that fans are willing to travel en masse to follow their respective countries, and the figures from the report showed just how much the money spent helped the local economy," he added.

Last summer's tournament featured 24 teams for the first time. Foreign visitors stayed in France for an average 7.9 days and spent an average of €154 per day. The total amount spent by those visiting the UEFA EURO 2016 host country was €625.8m.

The event was an undoubted success for France from an economic point of view, with the financial benefits easily cancelling out the €200m in public money spent getting France ready to host the tournament.

Jacques Lambert, the President of UEFA EURO 2016 SAS, said that the benefits of hosting the tournament far outweighed the initial costs.

"Major sporting events can be expensive in terms of investment," he explained, "but there are both direct and indirect benefits [for the host country]. It has been demonstrated that events like these have a positive economic impact."

UEFA EURO 2020 will adopt a different format to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the first European Championship in 1960. The tournament in three years' time will take place in 13 cities across the continent, giving fans throughout Europe the opportunity to watch high-quality national team football.

"It is good for Europe to show diversity in football, to show friendship, and to show that east, west, north and south can come together," said UEFA President Aleksander Čeferin.

UEFA EURO 2020 has already reached one milestone, with the logo launches for all 13 cities finishing with the final event in St Petersburg on 19 January.

"This will be a special tournament," said Mr Čeferin, adding that "it will be a true festival of friendship" across Europe.

UEFA