Euro 2016

So, maybe there'll soon be only 22 teams left...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36510550

I know it's controversial to ban a team because of so-called "fans" behaviour, and I'm sure the French security did not act and react properly here, but in the end, if there's no team on whose behalf a city can be vandalised, the vandals will hopefully stay home.

Next England match will be in Lens, where German hooligans almost killed a policeman at the 98 WC - I remember that the German FA was close to pulling out voluntarily because of that. 18 years on and things haven't changed for the better.

Serious question... Why does any country want to host the Euro?

You could ask the same about hosting any sports event...why specifically the Euro?

Understandable threat but curious at the same time. It can't have been purely about what happened in the stadium as that was Russians charging into the English fans (why warn the FA when their fans were the ones being attacked?).

So it must be to do with what happened in the streets, in which case, why wasn't the French FA warned also?

Edited by Rob.

Was this sort of violence going on 4 years ago?

France/Paris should consider themselves lucky this is all happening now and not next year days, even weeks before the final vote for the Olympics because this would definitely have played a factor and scrutinized all of Paris' plans for security.

Didn't something similar happened in 2012, when Polish and Ukranian fans rioted against the russian ones, and I think even between each other, and they received a warning as well. I think most in the board were glad both Ukraine and Poland didn't went to the quarter finals to avoid more embarassments like that.

Meanwhile, fans at Copa America have been relatively peaceful. At Copa America, fans are having a good time, while all hell has broken loose in France. I really feel for the locals, and the security forces as well. The locals welcome thee people in their country, and this is the thanks they get? Personally, every last hoodlum involved in this stupidity should be forced to stay and repair all the damage they caused. It's not right for these morons to create all this havoc, leave, and force the store owners or home owners to clean up their messes.

Meanwhile, fans at Copa America have been relatively peaceful. At Copa America, fans are having a good time, while all hell has broken loose in France. I really feel for the locals, and the security forces as well. The locals welcome thee people in their country, and this is the thanks they get? Personally, every last hoodlum involved in this stupidity should be forced to stay and repair all the damage they caused. It's not right for these morons to create all this havoc, leave, and force the store owners or home owners to clean up their messes.

Well when it comes to North and South America, countries here are not really all that known for being that violent at football games, with Brazil being the more noticeable exception. But most of their fighting is between domestic teams and not an international event.

Was this sort of violence going on 4 years ago?

France/Paris should consider themselves lucky this is all happening now and not next year days, even weeks before the final vote for the Olympics because this would definitely have played a factor and scrutinized all of Paris' plans for security.

I'd rather feel unlucky....the main feeling here is that the party is ruined...

And it's easy to blame the police...Idon't know if they could have done better...

Yes it also happened in 2012:

http://www.europe1.fr/sport/les-violences-des-supporteurs-anglais-et-russes-toute-une-histoire-2769967

And here a summary of the last football events in Europe (couldn't finf it in english):

http://www.europe1.fr/sport/les-violences-des-supporteurs-anglais-et-russes-toute-une-histoire-2769967

Mondial 1998 en France : à Marseille, déjà, des violences éclatent en marge du match Angleterre-Tunisie les 14 et 15 juin 1998. Elles impliquent des supporteurs anglais, tunisiens et de jeunes Marseillais. En marge du match Allemagne - Yougoslavie, le gendarme mobile Daniel Nivel est agressé par des hooligans allemands à Lens. Grièvement blessé, il a passé plusieurs semaines dans le coma et gardé de sévères séquelles.

L'Euro 2000 en Belgique et aux Pays-Bas : des incidents violents attribués par les autorités belges à des supporters anglais ont éclaté à Charleroi (Belgique) et à Bruxelles avant et après le match Angleterre-Allemagne, faisant une cinquantaine de blessés. Quelque 500 personnes sont interpellées et près de 400 Anglais sont expulsés ou refoulés à la frontière. L'UEFA réagit en menaçant d'exclure l'Angleterre de la compétition si le gouvernement britannique ne prend pas les dispositions susceptibles d'empêcher les hooligans anglais de venir perturber gravement la compétition.

L'Euro 2004 au Portugal : la ville d'Albufeira est le théâtre de plusieurs échauffourées impliquant des centaines de supporters anglais. Au total, 36 d'entre eux sont expulsés et celui qui est considéré comme leur meneur est même condamné à deux ans de prison ferme au Portugal. Il est toutefois libéré pour un problème procédural dès son arrivée sur le sol britannique quelques jours plus tard.

Mondial 2006 en Allemagne : quelque 180 personnes sont interpellées et placées en garde à vue en marge du quart de finale Angleterre-Portugal du Mondial 2006 à Gelsenkirchen (ouest). Parmi elles, 80, en grande majorité des supporters anglais mais aussi des Allemands et des ressortissants d'autres nationalités, ont été appréhendées après avoir commis des dégradations en ville et lancé des projectiles contre les forces de l'ordre. La semaine précédente, la police avait interpellé quelque 400 supporters, pour l'essentiel anglais, lors d'affrontements avec des Allemands, en marge du huitième de finale Angleterre-Equateur (1-0) à Stuttgart.

Euro 2008 en Autriche et Suisse : dans une édition globalement calme, les principaux incidents opposent des supporters croates et turcs après le quart de finale entre les deux équipes à Vienne. Douze personnes sont arrêtées, mais malgré des débuts d'échauffourées, la police a toujours eu la situation en main.

Euro 2012 en Ukraine et Pologne : un groupe de supporters russes attaque à coups de poing et de pieds les bénévoles vêtus de gilets verts du service d'ordre dans le stade à Wroclaw, certains étant frappés alors qu'ils sont à terre.

L'UEFA réagit en menaçant de retirer 6 points à la Russie pour la campagne de qualification à l'Euro 2016 en cas de nouveaux incidents graves de ses supporters pendant l'édition 2012. D'autres violents incidents ont lieu en marge du match Pologne-Russie (1-1) dans les rues de Varsovie. Ces accrochages, qui ont fait une vingtaine de blessés légers, se sont soldés par l'interpellation de 184 hooligans, majoritairement polonais (157) selon la police.

Well when it comes to North and South America, countries here are not really all that known for being that violent at football games, with Brazil being the more noticeable exception. But most of their fighting is between domestic teams and not an international event.

Part of this, I think, is simply due to the scarcity of traveling fans. Distances in the Americas are greater than Europe, and even in domestic competitions we do not have very many traveling fans.

I have seen some pretty nasty treatment of visiting fans in American football, but in those cases security frequently removes the victims rather than the perpetrators. It's easier to remove a couple of visiting fans than the hundreds of locals surrounding them. This obviously would not work in Europe when you have 15,000 fans of one team and 20,000 for another.

There are frequently police officers in the colors of rival fans at American football games in Seattle to lure the morons into abusing a cop. I am not sure if this tactic is used in other cities, though.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/03/seahawks-games-will-again-feature-undercover-cops-in-opponents-jerseys/

How do you get that many flares into a stadium which is meant to have tight security????

This isn't doing Paris' bid any favours.

Good question. But are you referring to the show's pyrotechnics? Of course, all of that is prepared in secret. However, the production and pyrotechnics people are probably doubly-vetted; and knowing show pyro people, they know their people by face, i.e., since it is very explosive stuff they handle, and they carry high insurance costs, I believe they know the people who work around their stuff.

But your question is valid -- and brings to mind another question I came across today about security in flying commercial jetliners. Alright, so most possible weapons are confiscated, banned from commercial flights. But how about the liquor they sell on board? Wouldn't those be enough to create Molotov cocktails onboard? I've never bought liquor onboard. But I think they hand those out just before landing? I didn't notice on my last flights to/from Brazil.

^^ Sorry, have edited my post....was talking about the Croatia v Czech Republic match that just finished. Loads of flares thrown onto the pitch, one hit an official, then the Croatians fans started fighting each other in the stands. Delay of 5-10 mins while they sorted it all out.

Edited by Rob.

How did the Croatian fans get that many flares into a stadium which is meant to have tight security????

This isn't doing Paris' Olympic bid any favours.

ClK7VLlWkAAQ-LZ.jpg

Yea when the #1 thing that a bid must have in this day and age is security, it looks really bad on France's part that they're not properly screening these guys and they manage to slip these in the stadium. Sure this isn't Paris, but if all cities don't step up their game, someone could try and attempt to bring in something more dangerous into the stadium, and they might succeed too.

I guess it's impossible to prevent from motivated people get in with flares.

What can they do if you put it inside your underpants?

It's a bit like road safety... How can you prevent from people driving too fast or driving when they're drunk?

The only way is to severely punish people you can catch.

How much more stupidity in the crowds there? And again, how can they bring in such devices? This all ridicules the pompous statements about security concepts etc...

If you think that's bad, an FIVB Women's World League indoor match between Italy and Thailand was cancelled after only Set 1 because the arena in Bari had a power outage and they could NOT restore lighting at all. So the match was disbanded. That too is poor organization.