Euro 2016

France's Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve has promised that security at the Stade de France in Paris will be ready for Euro 2016 football following problems at last weekend's French cup final

http://en.rfi.fr/sports/20160524-stade-de-france-security-be-improved-euro-2016-minister

This is the Paris fan zone. It will be able to host 92000 people

http://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/sport/football/en-images-euro-2016-la-fan-zone-tour-eiffel-devoilee_1790392.html

euro-2016-fan-zone-tour-eiffel-paris-2_5

Merci Neige for opening a thread on the Euro 2016, held in France (a good way to show the IOC how France could host such a big European event). I'm a bit concerned by those strikes, though I've always appreciated the way we French people can express our disapproval of a law by going so deep into the running of the country. However, I'm pretty sure, like in 2005, that when the IOC comes to visit for the 2024 bid there will be massive strikes which will definitely not help the bid. But, as the government has emergency oil, and they've started to use it, we'll be fine as of now. There's always a back up plan.

I guess when we don't want something we make sure we don't get it (which I love and hate equally).Vive la France!

This is incredibly important for Paris 2024 after the terror attacks.

I'd even go as far as to say it will make or break the bid given that security is the only real question mark over what will undoubtedly be considered an excellent technical bid.

Any major security lapse or attack in or close to a venue could be prove an insurmountable setback.

A safe tournament will be a perfect demonstration of a major event going smoothly in France, and the 2024 bid team will simply be able to point to that when asked questions about security.

A big couple of months for Paris 2024.

This is incredibly important for Paris 2024 after the terror attacks.

I'd even go as far as to say it will make or break the bid given that security is the only real question mark over what will undoubtedly be considered an excellent technical bid.

Any major security lapse or attack in or close to a venue could be prove an insurmountable setback.

A safe tournament will be a perfect demonstration of a major event going smoothly in France, and the 2024 bid team will simply be able to point to that when asked questions about security.

A big couple of months for Paris 2024.

Not just Euro 2016, but the Tour de France as well, which would even be harder to guard.

Altho (in my other life as a consultant to InterPol), I wouldn't lay any lapse in Security to the event organizers. They can control what goes on within the venues; but any happenstance outside of those perimeters is not an COOG's fault. It'll all depend on the shared intelligence, how quickly they act on it; and how reliable the info/chatter is. So far, the terrorists have not been bright enough to....well, I won't spell it out online...

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I'm currently on holiday in Provence and while I haven't had much of a feeling of high security alert (probably better that it's not too obvious), the strikes could be equally effective in bringing the bid down. Would the IOC want to risk power or petrol shortage scenes, including violent ending of blockages being associated with their most precious product? Would the French govt (whatever party) be able to ensure nothing like that happens during Paris 2024? Trade unions have already specifically threatened actions coinciding with the Euro, so I wouldn't expect any "Olympic truce" agreement by them.

France's Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve has promised that security at the Stade de France in Paris will be ready for Euro 2016 football following problems at last weekend's French cup final

http://en.rfi.fr/sports/20160524-stade-de-france-security-be-improved-euro-2016-minister

This is the Paris fan zone. It will be able to host 92000 people

CiGhrPWXEAA7guW.jpg

Euro 2016: Paris police 'wants to shut fan zone'

France's police chief is keen to close a zone for up to 90,000 fans for part of the Euro 2016 football tournament, Agence France-Presse reports.

In a letter to Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve, Michel Cadot cited the "exhaustion" of overstretched police and the threat of terrorism, according to AFP.

Paris is one of 10 host cities during the competition that starts next week.

This week, the US warned the tournament could be targeted by militants.

"The large number of tourists visiting Europe in the summer months will present greater targets for terrorists," the State Department said.

Paris has been preparing the fan zone at the foot of the world-famous Eiffel Tower.

Every match will be screened at the fan zone, but Mr Cadot is aiming for it to be shut during all 12 matches that take place in Paris' two stadiums.

Mr Cazeneuve is yet to publicly respond to Mr Cadot's proposal.

More @ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36437176

Euro 2016: Paris police 'wants to shut fan zone'

France's police chief is keen to close a zone for up to 90,000 fans for part of the Euro 2016 football tournament, Agence France-Presse reports.

In a letter to Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve, Michel Cadot cited the "exhaustion" of overstretched police and the threat of terrorism, according to AFP.

Paris is one of 10 host cities during the competition that starts next week.

This week, the US warned the tournament could be targeted by militants.

"The large number of tourists visiting Europe in the summer months will present greater targets for terrorists," the State Department said.

Paris has been preparing the fan zone at the foot of the world-famous Eiffel Tower.

Every match will be screened at the fan zone, but Mr Cadot is aiming for it to be shut during all 12 matches that take place in Paris' two stadiums.

Mr Cazeneuve is yet to publicly respond to Mr Cadot's proposal.

More @ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36437176

Seems the fan zone will finally stay open

http://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/societe/euro-2016-la-fan-zone-sera-ouverte-tous-les-jours-de-match_1798855.html

I do hope they keep those fan zones, cause I sure intend to go there when France is playing. And I'm probably not the only one.

I have no doubt the Euro 2016 will go smoothly, and we must not forget that it's not being held only in Paris, but all over France. And the security in Paris will be massive. I'm not worried.

The BBC will be unveiling their theme song for their Euro 2016 coverage during BBC Breakfast and then on iPlayer on Monday.

The theme will be a modern version of a French classic. "La Foule" by the legendary Edith Piaf will be recorded into a modern version by Izzy Bizu and the BBC Concert Orchestra.

Here's the original version if you guys wanna listen. I'll bring you the BBC version on Monday. ;)

^^ Here's the trailer for the Euros the BBC has been showing over the past couple of weeks...

Like Conor15, the use of the French royals is interesting. I wonder what they represent. Spain, giving away the trophee?

Thanks for sharing anyway

It's embarrassing a minority of England fans have gone across the Channel for a fight, and I hope they're thrown into the nearest cells. Same of course goes for the Russian thugs and the French locals doing the same.

But from a security perspective what happened last night inside the stadium was an appalling lapse from French authorities.

This is a country which said stadium security would be extremely tight after the Paris attacks. So what happens? From what I've read no real bag checks. And from what I've seen Russians were letting off smoke bombs and firing flares ACROSS THE STADIUM into English supporters. Then, at the final whistle, a flare was let off to signal a planned attack and NO STEWARDS were separating rival fans so Russians simply charged the English causing a stampede with many fans having to escape the stadium by climbing over walls.

That's bad enough as it is, but imagine if those smoke bombs and flares were instead something more deadly that the porous security had let in?!!

It needs to get better or this tournament will not have the effect Paris 2024 hopes it will on its Olympic bid.

Edited by Rob.

The segregation was a bit lacking too wasn't it - they didn't even tarp off any columns of seats. Doesn't excuse anyone involved of course, English or Russian, but it struck me as odd when you think that there's always columns of seats blanked at Wembley etc.

UEFA opened disciplinary proceedings against Russia on Sunday for crowd disturbances and racist behavior by its fans during a European Championship game against England.

The governing body of European soccer also said it would strengthen security at stadiums in France in response to the disorder.

The English Football Association, whose fans fled the stadium in Marseille after being attacked by a large group of Russian fans, has not been charged by UEFA.

The high-profile scenes of unrest, both inside and outside the Stade Velodrome, marred the second day of the tournament, with UEFA expressing its "utter disgust" over clashes between Russian and English fans in Marseille.

UEFA held emergency meetings on Sunday to re-assess security measures inside the 10 stadiums being used across France for the 24-team tournament.

"UEFA acknowledges that there were segregation issues at Stade Velodrome and will implement corrective measures to strengthen the deployment of security personnel at stadiums, in close collaboration with local authorities," UEFA said in a statement.

Russia has also been charged over fireworks being set off inside the stadium, where the game finished 1-1. UEFA said its control, ethics and disciplinary body will judge the case on Tuesday, imposing sanctions ahead of its second Euro 2016 game against Slovakia on Wednesday in Lille.

More @ http://bigstory.ap.org/article/46b5b1cd763a474285386d80c2959e2d/uefa-opens-disciplinary-case-against-russia-over-violence

Edited by Rob.