US show '60 Minutes' Exposes extent of Russian Drug Cheating

60 Minutes tonight investigated and exposed the extent of Russia's drug-cheating for its athletes -- from within. Not only an ex-Russia husband-and-wife team who whistle-blew but also the ex-head of Russia's Sports Ministry who is also now in the US, and can certainly provide more devastating testimony to WADA.

Not only is it known among Russian T&F athletes, but apparently a lot of the Russian medals at Sochi were taken by manipulated drug tests there. Let's see how drastically the IOC will revise the 2014 roster of winners and purge Russian medals.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/russias-dark-secret/

60 Minutes tonight investigated and exposed the extent of Russia's drug-cheating for its athletes -- from within. Not only an ex-Russia husband-and-wife team who whistle-blew but also the ex-head of Russia's Sports Ministry who is also now in the US, and can certainly provide more devastating testimony to WADA.

Not only is it known among Russian T&F athletes, but apparently a lot of the Russian medals at Sochi were taken by manipulated drug tests there. Let's see how drastically the IOC will revise the 2014 roster of winners and purge Russian medals.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/russias-dark-secret/

That link got me a 404 Error, but this one seems to work, and it also includes a text summary:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-russian-doping-at-sochi-winter-olympics-exposed/

It would be stupid, IMO, to adjust medals for this. Who is to stay the folks next in line weren't cheating too.

If it's determined any Russian medalists were doping, how is that different than any other past athletes who got stripped of their medals as well? Obviously whether or not that practice should continue and athletes should be retroactively awarded medals is a different story altogether. This isn't Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis who were both still in Seoul when that drug test occurred. This is years after the fact. But that said, if it is proven that an athlete cheated, then absolutely they should be stricken from the record books and asked to return their medals.

Dozens of Russian athletes at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, including at least 15 medal winners, were part of a state-run doping program, meticulously planned for years to ensure dominance at the Games, according to the director of the country’s antidoping laboratory at the time.

The director, Grigory Rodchenkov, who ran the laboratory that handled testing for thousands of Olympians, said he developed a three-drug cocktail of banned substances that he mixed with liquor and provided to dozens of Russian athletes, helping to facilitate one of the most elaborate — and successful — doping ploys in sports history.

It involved some of Russia’s biggest stars of the Games, including 14 members of its cross-country ski team and two veteran bobsledders who won two golds.

In a dark-of-night operation, Russian antidoping experts and members of the intelligence services surreptitiously replaced urine samples tainted by performance-enhancing drugs with clean urine collected months earlier, somehow breaking into the supposedly tamper-proof bottles that are the standard at international competitions, Dr. Rodchenkov said. For hours each night, they worked in a shadow laboratory lit by a single lamp, passing bottles of urine through a hand-size hole in the wall, to be ready for testing the next day, he said.

By the end of the Games, Dr. Rodchenkov estimated, as many as 100 dirty urine samples were expunged.

More @ http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/13/sports/russia-doping-sochi-olympics-2014.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=1

• Like 1

OMG!! Just waiting for the IOC to speak up now. When will Russia be humiliated? Before the opening in Rio (when the IOC next convenes--altho this could just be an Executive Board decision) or after??

Dr. Rodchenkov should be given a post at WADA.

You just can't trust the Russians. When I worked at the UN for one Session in 1983, we had two young Russian men in our Orientation group of about 18 (seasonal employees), they just wouldn't look you in the eye throughout the orientation session. My immediate boss too was a more polished Russian bureacrat w/ a very attractive wife. Even now, I wonder if Alexander T. was everything he presented himself to be.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

If it's determined any Russian medalists were doping, how is that different than any other past athletes who got stripped of their medals as well? Obviously whether or not that practice should continue and athletes should be retroactively awarded medals is a different story altogether. This isn't Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis who were both still in Seoul when that drug test occurred. This is years after the fact. But that said, if it is proven that an athlete cheated, then absolutely they should be stricken from the record books and asked to return their medals.

I'm fine with stripping people of their medals. It's giving then to the next person in line that I find stupid. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I'm fine with stripping people of their medals. It's giving then to the next person in line that I find stupid. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Then we agree. If you can catch someone in the act, that's one thing. To change the record books years after the fact never made sense to me.

Then we agree. If you can catch someone in the act, that's one thing. To change the record books years after the fact never made sense to me.

Well, it rectifies the initial incorrect results. Better late than never, it recognizes those who should've been the rightful winners had the cheaters not been there. That's why I say, withhold all results for 8 years -- or DON'T award the medals for 8 years!!

Well, it rectifies the initial incorrect results. Better late than never, it recognizes those who should've been the rightful winners had the cheaters not been there. That's why I say, withhold all results for 8 years -- or DON'T award the medals for 8 years!!

"Michael Phelps, congrats on winning another race! We're just going to hold this gold medal in escrow for about 8 years. You can come get it from us 2 Olympics from now."

• Like 1

"Michael Phelps, congrats on winning another race! We're just going to hold this gold medal in escrow for about 8 years. You can come get it from us 2 Olympics from now."

"Valentina Shikyriludze, you cheated. You don't deserve a medal. It belongs to the next athlete."

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Latest from insidethegames. biz

Rodchenkov offers to work with IOC and WADA to retest all Sochi 2014 doping samples

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1037398/rodchenkov-calls-for-ioc-and-wada-to-work-with-him-to-retest-sochi-2014-doping-samples

But wouldn't Russia already have destroyed the dirty samples??

Oh, of course, all the review of all the samples will also include the Paralympics -- not just the Olympics!! How many medals did the home team win in the Paralympics??

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Latest from insidethegames. biz

Rodchenkov offers to work with IOC and WADA to retest all Sochi 2014 doping samples

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1037398/rodchenkov-calls-for-ioc-and-wada-to-work-with-him-to-retest-sochi-2014-doping-samples

But wouldn't Russia already have destroyed the dirty samples??

It really is unfortunate. Why are these Russians so careless?!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/11228382/Fifa-report-Russia-admit-World-Cup-bid-evidence-gone-because-of-destroyed-computers.html

Here we go ...

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1037437/ipc-urge-wada-to-immediately-investigate-possible-doping-at-sochi-2014-winter-paralympics

BTW, if that idiot TeamBlakeUSA posts after this and still stays on this forum, I will NOT be contributing any posts to this site until he stops or is removed!! I am SICK of trolls like him. It totally insults the sincerity I give to my posts.

• 1 month later...

I think that you should right a wrong if you can. I think that should be part plans. Each Olypmic city should be part of ceremonies that award the new winner. It should be a big event in righting a wrong. It should be part of a mind set of justice. It is not going to stop so there should be a plan on how these metals are given to the correct champion.

http://rio2016.olympics.com.au/media/41379BD0-3445-11E6-80D8F2E31AD81B36

I think that you should right a wrong if you can. I think that should be part plans. Each Olypmic city should be part of ceremonies that award the new winner. It should be a big event in righting a wrong. It should be part of a mind set of justice. It is not going to stop so there should be a plan on how these metals are given to the correct champion.

http://rio2016.olympics.com.au/media/41379BD0-3445-11E6-80D8F2E31AD81B36

Nah. That's an additional burden on the hosting city. Plus, WHO IS GOING TO pay for those athletes to come to Rio or Tokyo or wherever? Your idea looks good on paper but in reality, not. I say the IOC withholds results for 5 years AND then do a grand medalling ceremony for everyone from those Games of 5 years ago!!