PyeongChang 2018 Mascot

Since this year will be the year when PyeongChang would probably reveal their mascots for the 2018 Games, I thought I'd make a discussion thread about it.

So basically you can come up with ideas you think would suit the mascot. Like animals that represent Korea or even something unusual and Asian.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 2

Not related to the Olympics but this duo of cartoon characters are becoming popular in Korea right now with their miniseries "Telemonster"

1455583107856.jpg

I wonder if the Olympic mascot will take a similar approach

• 3 weeks later...

Seoul, June 2- The official mascots for the PyeongChang Organizing Committee for the 2018 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (POCOG) are here. A white tiger named “Soohorang” and an Asiatic black bear named “Bandabi” will each represent the Olympic and Paralympic Games. Both animals appear in Korea’s foundation mythology and are closely associated with Korean culture and folklore.

board_61649_15649_thumb.jpg

board_61649_15645_thumb.jpgboard_61649_15646_thumb.jpg

They also gave the mascots a set of emojis, I think.

The mascots imo are adorable but the emojis are a bit of a put off for some people as they sort of look stereotypically Asian and anime like

The emojis would probably used in South Korea only on Vine and other social networks by the looks of it.

Oh, I wrote my opinion on the bid thread. I'll post it here too:

Wow, I didn't see this coming! Had they announced they were going to launch the mascots today?

Although they're the same animals as Sochi's, they're not bad at all. I especially like the tiger too. The style is very nice, very Korean and modern. I could expect something similar for Tokyo 2020.

P.S. It's the first time since 1992 that there's only one Olympic Winter mascot! Good!

Well, they are kinda cute and certainly very asian, reminds me of those Line stickers. What bothers me is the lack of originality picking the animals (a feline and a bear again , just after Sochi? Then again, Miga was technicaly a bear hybrid or something). I'm sure they will be liked in their native country though.

Also the tiger is totally not a reference to Hodori :P .

Also the tiger is totally not a reference to Hodori :P .

That, I don't mind. I kinda liked how Sochi's bear was foremost a white version of Mischa. And now we have Hodori's white winter counterpart. Nice to have bit of a nod to the past, even if it's not the most original idea.

• Like 1

Also at least the tiger has a more original design rather than copying his 1988 counterpart.

Cj8uAoFUkAA0v4X.jpg

These ones are related with the Pictograms rather than being Line stickers. I hope they post more like these.

By the way, the paralympic mascot is also a reference to the 1988 Paralympic mascot, which had a duo of asian bears.

Cj8tp-pVAAAkMJJ.jpg