• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I LIKE'em!! (Well, anything would look good on Ryan Lochte.) Very French!!

With swimming trials complete, the full roster. Plenty of first-time Olympians: CHASE KALISZ (400 IM) MAYA DIRADO (400 IM, 200 IM, 200 back) CONNOR JAEGER (400 free, 1500 free) KATIE LEDECK

happy that Danell Leyva's Olympic dreams are now able to be fulfilled

1 hour ago, Faster said:

NBC is reporting that the United States and Trinidad and Tobago have been DQed and CBC has clearly shown the Japanese have had a lane violation.

Yet I'm not seeing anything about Japan being dq'd. If they don't get it done before the end of the night does that mean it stands?

All the excitement from us Brits at Team GB 's performance is put into context by the overwhelming dominance of Team USA. What is a comparatively new experience for us being near the top of the medal table is, I guess, just  ho hum par for the course stuff for you Yanks. Your only question being : did we dominate more than last time, about the same or not quite as much?  What an enviable debate to have!

Here's an interesting article examining Team USA's powerful performance in Rio. It might bring a smile to the lips of even the most jaded Yankee sports lovers! ;)

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/olympics-2016/rio-2016-team-usas-historic-dominance-of-olympic-medal-tally/news-story/0dc00537fe43f42cad7a504a7debcd5e

Edited by Mainad
  • Like 1

we're very proud of our athletes, but as i mentioned earlier, these stats largely escape our notice. we're much more conditioned to think in terms of whether our hyped-up superstars/teams performed to expectation. we could have a large number of medals but if phelps, ledecky, biles, and the basketball team (and maybe some of the track stars) took fewer medals than expected, there would be articles about how it wasn't really a great games for us.

it gets boring rooting for the top dogs all the time so i like to cheer for underdogs, lost causes, micronations (kiribati, canada), and charity cases, too.

Edited by kraussie-kraussie-kraussie
"wer'e very proud of our athletes" ETA yes, even ryan lochte but obviously not gaby douglas
38 minutes ago, kraussie-kraussie-kraussie said:

we're very proud of our athletes, but as i mentioned earlier, these stats largely escape our notice. we're much more conditioned to think in terms of whether our hyped-up superstars/teams performed to expectation. we could have a large number of medals but if phelps, ledecky, biles, and the basketball team (and maybe some of the track stars) took fewer medals than expected, there would be articles about how it wasn't really a great games for us.

I agree with this.   I'm much more focused on each contest and how the individuals/teams performed.   If medals are won by those who were expected to win, very fine.  If medals are won unexpectedly, very dandy.  Whatever the total medal list adds up to in the end, is what it is--I don't get too focused on that and think a lot of it is media hype, at least in the USA media.    Most Americans didn't wake up after the conclusion of the 2008 Beijing Games where we weren't at the top of the standings, only to think any less of our athletes or ourselves.   Sports prowess is great but not intrinsic to the national psyche.  

1 minute ago, jiejie said:

I agree with this.   I'm much more focused on each contest and how the individuals/teams performed.   If medals are won by those who were expected to win, very fine.  If medals are won unexpectedly, very dandy.  Whatever the total medal list adds up to in the end, is what it is--I don't get too focused on that and think a lot of it is media hype, at least in the USA media.    Most Americans didn't wake up after the conclusion of the 2008 Beijing Games where we weren't at the top of the standings, only to think any less of our athletes or ourselves.   Sports prowess is great but not intrinsic to the national psyche.  

Pretty good summary.