Team USA IN Rio 2016

He did not. Smart move on his part to drop his most grueling event. This likely also allows him to march in the Opening Ceremony since his first swim won't be until Sunday (if he's a part of the 4x100 relay team) or Monday (heats of the 200m fly)

Yea he's well aware of his limits now and is focusing on those that he knows he has a better shot at gold. Dude's times are nowhere near what they were the last 2 Olympics but he's still a contender and can lead the US men to gold in the relay races.

Yea he's well aware of his limits now and is focusing on those that he knows he has a better shot at gold. Dude's times are nowhere near what they were the last 2 Olympics but he's still a contender and can lead the US men to gold in the relay races.

The theory on Phelps when he was at his `08 peak is that if he could have won maybe 7 or 8 individual events had he been able to solely focus on them rather than training for so many different disciplines. And I said during and after London that he could come back with a reduced program and still probably be competitive. Well here we are. This is much more manageable and he should be able to compete for some medals without having to try and run the table on a program with so many swims on it.

Douglas is very lucky she is quite good at bars.

It would be a massive upset if this team doesn't get Gold, that's for sure.

Considering how much stronger the US has gotten since London and how much weaker the top contenders have gotten it's ours to lose. The only way we can lose it is if Simone Biles injures herself or she starts to become very inconsistent.

And Gabby didn't get on the Olympic team just because she's great at bars she also got it because she can get a high score on the vault as well as the floor exercise. Her balance beam scores have been very hit and miss this season so that's clearly her weakness right now. But she's still very strong in vault and the uneven bars. Also, the girls that placed before her didn't get the spot because they weren't exactly any better than her. None of them managed to get more than one score that was higher than a 15.0 other than from the vault event. They benefited from her fall on the balance beam. Gabby is definitely not going into the Olympics as a contender for the all-around, and looks like Aly Raisman might not either. Gabby is there only to put up high scores in the team event and maybe get a chance to compete in individual events provided she scores high enough.

If there is anything to be upset about, it's Madison Kocian only being on the team just because she's good at one event that the US is lacking strength in. She'll probably only compete in that one event for the team final and then more than likely be in the running for an uneven bars medal.

If there is anything to be upset about, it's Madison Kocian only being on the team just because she's good at one event that the US is lacking strength in. She'll probably only compete in that one event for the team final and then more than likely be in the running for an uneven bars medal.

Alex Naddour says hi. Same thing on the men's side.. only got on the team to add strength in their weakest event. Nothing wrong with that, IMO.

Alex Naddour says hi. Same thing on the men's side.. only got on the team to add strength in their weakest event. Nothing wrong with that, IMO.

Naddour made the team primarily because of pommel horse, but he is also a top 3 performer on rings and vault and will likely do 4 events for the U.S. in the team final (floor, pommels, rings, and vault). More than one gymnast would have to be injured before we'd use Kocian on anything but bars in the team final.

With the strength of our women's team and only four events in the team event it's not that much of an issue, but on the men's side I think this is a huge risk putting a guy on a team of five to compete in only one event in the team event that consists of 6 events. But Alex isn't only good on the pommel horse he's the 3rd best US gymnast in the rings event, and the best gymnast in that event among the 5 in the team competition.

I like to see the next Olympics make a rule change for the men's team event and allow 6 men rather than 5. Men's team event is far more gruesome than women's and it would probably benefit the US men's team as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all US sports fans,

for those of you who supports US athletes in all sports, you can join the United States National Thread on Totallympics, http://totallympics.com/index.php?/topic/312-united-states-national-thread/. We gather sport fans from all around the world and each nation has its own National Thread where sport fans from that nation can discuss with predictions and live comments. You are also invited on Totallympics to discuss in all other threads and follow Rio 2016 with us! Thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Olympic Fan Darcy said:

Impressive swimming meet for America. More gold than London and lets not forget that Missy Franklin won 2 individual gold and 2 team gold in London and got just the one tam gold here so heaps of others picked up! 

yeah, she went full australian, didn't she.

18 hours ago, kraussie-kraussie-kraussie said:

i cheer for canada if there are no americans or if the american isn't cute or something. i don't think that makes us traitors.

Funny you say that, because I've found I've been happy to see the USA win a lot more than normal for me. I think it has to do with being a lot more confident that when I see an American do well, it is likely not enhanced by doping. There are individual Americans I don't like (like Justin Gatlin) but on the whole it has been great to watch some of the Americans. Maya Dirado, Simone Manuel and the gymnastics ladies standing out. Also there isn't as much hand-wringing on the part of me as a Canadian this time around and collectively.