Sign in to follow this  
daveypodmore

Team GB at Rio

BBC has just confirmed Giles Scott guaranteed Gold for GB in the sailing, but it won't be added to the medal table until Tuesday after the final race.

This is getting silly now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob. said:

BBC has just confirmed Giles Scott guaranteed Gold for GB in the sailing, but it won't be added to the medal table until Tuesday after the final race.

This is getting silly now.

Stupendous Sunday?

Another gold guaranteed today for Giles Scott in sailing (Finn Class).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37079577

Edit: Sorry Rob, just noticed you had already posted about this.

At first I didn't think we were going to do as well in Rio as in Beijing. Didn't get the same vibe. But looks like I'm about to be proved dead wrong if Team GB keep this up!!!

Edited by Mainad

And you're managing it without me there... I was just indulging in a trip down memory lane by reading my blog from London (seeing Murray win again reminded me of my Wimbledown experience in 2012). Lots I'd forgotten about the trip - but I didn't need reminding about sitting through God Save The Queen so many times after watching GB gold wins. Well done for keeping it up guys!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

And you're managing it without me there... I was just indulging in a trip down memory lane by reading my blog from London (seeing Murray win again reminded me of my Wimbledown experience in 2012). Lots I'd forgotten about the trip - but I didn't need reminding about sitting through God Save The Queen so many times after watching GB gold wins. Well done for keeping it up guys!

It doesn't seem like 5 minutes since you and CAF were blogging us your exploits at London 2012. As I said, I wasn't expecting us to do nearly as well as in Beijing and especially London after there were so many near misses in the first few days so I'm pleasantly surprised especially with the addition of so many medals in sports we haven't featured in much before eg. gymnastics.

Hope you're not getting sick of hearing the anthem. How far do you expect Team Aussie to go this year. Better, worse or about the same?

Dujardin has retained her individual Dressage title keeping us in 2nd spot on the table for now.

You guys seemed to be winning everything on Sunday.  How many golds did GBR get on Sunday?  

You guys and gals gotta get with it in Indoor Volleyball and Synchronized Swimming!! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

You guys seemed to be winning everything on Sunday.  How many golds did GBR get on Sunday?  

You guys and gals gotta get with it in Indoor Volleyball and Synchronized Swimming!! 

6 golds on Sunday (2 in gymnastics, 1 in track, 1 in cycling, 1 in tennis and 1 in golf). :)

We're working on volleyball and synchronized swimming for Tokyo! ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mainad said:

It doesn't seem like 5 minutes since you and CAF were blogging us your exploits at London 2012. As I said, I wasn't expecting us to do nearly as well as in Beijing and especially London after there were so many near misses in the first few days so I'm pleasantly surprised especially with the addition of so many medals in sports we haven't featured in much before eg. gymnastics.

Hope you're not getting sick of hearing the anthem. How far do you expect Team Aussie to go this year. Better, worse or about the same?

LOL - been thinking about my time in London a lot this past week and a half. Such a good time. Re-reading the blog yesterday just reminded me how brilliant a games you guys gave us. Such good times!

Oz prospects? They'd be a lot better if you guys hadn't trodden on our previous turf in cycling and rowing! ;)B)

Crossing my fingers we still might bag a few final week gold medals - not exactly sure or confident where though. Sailing perhaps? BMX? Overall, it's gonna be around our London mark, either spot on, just over or just under.

• Like 1

I don't know the sport's code of conduct but whether or not that was legal he was the biggest asshole in any discipline I've seen in a long time. I hope there are some mitigating circumstances.

My only thought is maybe he thought the Korean rider was going to pass him before he reached that point in the track. I think he got lucky.

But the officials in the velodrome have been more lenient than at the last Olympics all week. Quite a few riders have crossed the sprint line and not been penalised where as they were in London for the same offence.

Laura Trott GOLD again. A bit of a legend already.

SILVER and BRONZE in the sprint for GB too, but Germany's Vogel wins it despite her saddle falling off. That takes some skill.

• Like 1

Serious question - I know these are your most successful "away" games now. Are you on track now to top London in results?

This is already Team GB's most successful away Olympics ever. The current tally of 50 medals including 19 golds has already exceeded the final tally at Beijing (47 medals including 19 gold) and there are still 5 days of competition to go!

I never dreamed that Rio would be so successful for us. I thought there would be a bit of a slackening off after Beijing and London. I don't think I've ever been so happy to have been proved wrong! :D

To think that exactly 20 years ago in Atlanta we came away with just 1 gold medal!  What a difference the funding from the National Lottery has helped to make for British sport in the 2 decades since!!B)

Edited by Mainad

19 minutes ago, Lee said:

I was gonna say that the Beeb got it wrong - we improved on Gold results in Athens (which is how we organise our tables). But they talked totals, and our total was less.

None of which takes away from your achievement. Puts pressure on you in Tokyo now!

27 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Serious question - I know these are your most successful "away" games now. Are you on track now to top London in results?

According to the latest medal tracker, it seems we are (although that doesn't necessarily mean we will of course). But things are certainly looking good. If we did manage to top London it would apparently be the first time any country has ever done better in the very next Olympics after hosting!

Edited by Mainad

Australia won more golds in Athens. But ya, Britain also has had a near perfect storm of generational athletes all at one time across a great number of sports. 

Obviously a great games no matter how you measure things. But I wonder how things would look if we measured golds as a % of available golds. How do modern games for the YK compare to the Chariots of Fire era?

We need to celebrate this team big on their return. Im hoping Trott & Kenny will fly the flag at the closing ceremony together

• Like 2

Oh, that's a question for the "Defend The Indefensible" round on Fighting Talk if ever I've heard one!
(niche reference, not even sure other Brits will get that)

• Like 1