Team GB at Rio

Shock for Tom Daley as he fails to qualify for the  final of the individual 10 metre platform diving event!  He never seems to be able to bring his best to the Olympics. 

Bronze for Vicky Holland in the women's Triathlon.

Edited by Mainad

Just now, Mainad said:

Shock for Tom Daley as he fails to qualify for the  individual 10 metre platform diving event!  He never seems to be able to bring his best to the Olympics. 

Bronze for Vicky Holland in the women's Triathlon.

lol really? And he was leading going into the semifinals. Oh well he can' blame it on being gay this time around. Or maybe he can. Perhaps he and the fiance celebrated a little bit too much last night.

Nicola Adams retains her Olympic title in women's flyweight boxing (and becomes the first British boxer to retain an Olympic title in 92 years)! She and Liam Heath ( in the  K1 200m Canoe sprint ) add 2 more golds to Team GB's tally of 26 golds and 63 medals overall. Incredible to think they are now just 3 golds and 2 overall medals short of London 2012's tally!!!

Edited by Mainad
  • Like 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37140834

How can you disqualify someone with no evidence? These athletes work for 4 years only to get kicked out by an official who thinks he may have seen an infringement but can't prove it. Brazil now make the final. This has tainted the end of these otherwise very successful games for GB. 

Edited by Lee

The great Mo Farah adds a 4th gold medal to his tally and becomes the first man since Lasse Viren to retain both the 10,000 metre and 5,000 metre race titles!

Team GB have now equalled London 2012's tally of 65 medals overall and are just 2 golds behind. I never dreamed Team GB's first away Games since hosting would be anywhere near as successful!

Edited by Mainad

I don't think there's a lot of overlap between GB and Russia in what we win Gold in so I don't think you can put many medals down to Russia's absence in some sports. Besides which, GB proved four years ago they could top a (presumably juiced up) Russian team , and anyway, even if GB was taking advantage of Russia's absence, why couldn't other nations capitalise in the same way? Their absence was the same for everyone.

I'm sure we'll hear loads of Kremlinbots online claiming this sort of thing. I don't think anyone here will take this kind of argument seriously though (I know you were joking LatinXTC ;) )

Edited by Rob.

7 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

Russia says you're welcome! lol but seriously which medals were gained with Russia's absence in track & field and weightlifting? They weren't known to be the best on the track these days but perhaps it's the field events where people gained from their absence?

We will never know but, on the other hand, Team GB finished ahead of the Russians in London too (at least in the gold medal count) and the full Russian team were present then so it doesn't appear to be a given one way or the other. Plus how many medals might other countries have picked up in the absence of the banned Russian athletes including USA and China?

1 hour ago, Rob. said:

I'll believe this when I see it. How many times have they tried now?

Hopefully - for the women's game more than anything - they can work something out this time...

Lol...how many times have they tried so far? However, things may become considerably easier on that score given that  Scotland may no longer be part of the UK by the time Tokyo comes round! ;)

Edited by Mainad

8 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

Russia says you're welcome! lol but seriously which medals were gained with Russia's absence in track & field and weightlifting? They weren't known to be the best on the track these days but perhaps it's the field events where people gained from their absence?

What of GB's would Russia have won? They aren't really competitive on track anymore and the few field events they excel in would not have affected the GB medal count.

Joe Joyce wins silver in the super heavyweight division of men's boxing!  I think this was our last medal hope for these Games and brings the total medal tally for Team GB at Rio to 67 (27 gold, 23 silver,17 bronze) 2 more than at the home Games in London 4 years ago!!

For the first time ever, Team GB comes 2nd in the medal table (on gold count) behind Team USA improving steadily on their 4th place in Beijing and 3rd in London!!! :D

Aiming for 1st in Tokyo may just be a wee bit too ambitious I guess? ;)

With the Union Jack-tinted glasses well and truly on, these 16 days have been truly magical ones, even if challenging in the sleep department, for British sport. Before the Games began, I didn't believe we had a chance of topping the success of London. But doing just that, in terms of total medals, is a far, far greater achievement than just those two extra pieces of precious metal. Most of us believed London would be special, both in terms of the spectacle and of British success, and those of us who were fortunate to be there will hopefully carry those memories with us for the rest of our days. But, at a time of real uncertainty for our country, I believe these Games, and the unexpected scale of our success, could be an even greater lift than those of four years ago.

Why has this happened? To understand that, you have to go back to the dark days of Atlanta 20 years ago. We won fewer medals in total there than the number of bronze medals we won this time around. It simply wasn't good enough. It's simple to say that the introduction of Lottery funding changed everything and I am pleased to see that Sir John Major, a prime minister who actually cared about sport, has been given some of the credit he deserves in the last few days. But the impact has not simply been a question of giving athletes money and hoping for the best. It has also brought about a professionalisation of Olympic sport and a demand for results. Deliver or face the consequences. It is no coincidence that cycling is our most successful Olympic sport because it, along with rowing, has delivered the goods time after time after time and has received the continuing investment accordingly. Other sports have struggled to get to those standards but are getting there now, as shown by the fact that we have won medals in more sports than any other nation. It's that, above all else, which gives me hope that we can continue this success, even if not to this scale in Tokyo and beyond.

Highlights? Far too many to mention, so I'll limit myself to three. One was professional: having the chance to report, even if it was from my own sofa, on a man from the area I work in, Danny Kerry, coaching a gold medal winning team. The second was emotional: seeing Nick Skelton win showjumping gold at the age of 58 and having returned to riding some years ago despite being advised to retire after breaking his neck in a fall. It's the sort of story they make films about.

But the one that tops them all for me was in the early hours of this morning when, surely soon to be Sir, Mo Farah completed his double double. His victories were not simply the cementing of his reputation as one of our country's greatest ever sportsmen but, with his background and the context of what our country has been through in these last few weeks and months, a dignified embodiment of what this country is at its greatest.

• Like 1

And congratulations from Oz. Well done Britain! So very glad you managed to hold off the Chinese assault and finished the table in ... gasp... second!

I'm in awe!

I'll just leave you by quoting (with a few edits) my most recent post in the Oz thread:

"If we (Oz) want to progress from here, it's clear we're gonna have to take it up to the Poms Brits  on the cycling track and in the rowing. So the Oz-GB rivalry will be as alive as ever for years to come. Bring it on.

• Like 1

Not sure whether this is a sequel to my favourite Australian headline from 60 all out at Trentbridge last year, POMICIDE, but I have to admit I really enjoyed this piece from an Australian perspective.

Great Britain has obliterated Australia at the 2016 Rio Olympics

With 60 all out in mind, however, something far less enjoyable was hearing the news yesterday of that fine Australian broadcaster Jim Maxwell, a very familiar voice to cricket lovers over here, being taken ill while on air the other day. Hoping he's fighting fit for an interesting season Down Under.

• Like 1

:)

Suitably impressed with the GB medal result...can remember what happened in Atlanta. The road to redemption has been worth it...More so that you outdid yourself over being previous hosts home advantage.

Perhaps not so many Russians being there helped - or not. Gonna make the 2018 Commonwealth Games look interesting even with Team GB broken up into hone countries.

Well done.

• Like 1

Congratulations Team GB! In Atlanta 96 you won just one gold and finished behind Brazil. Look where you are now! We have to learn from what you did and also try to improve.

24 minutes ago, trebor204 said:

Great Britain won gold in 15 different sports, and medal in 19 different sports.

USA won gold in 13 different sports, and medal in 22 different sports.

China won gold in 10 different sports, and medal in 19 different sports

You raise a good point. One of the most impressive things about Team GB 's performance in Rio is how diversified were the sports in which the medals were won. They have really been working on extending their portfolio and not just focussing on traditional strengths. That's even more encouraging.

10 minutes ago, Mainad said:

You raise a good point. One of the most impressive things about Team GB 's performance in Rio is how diversified were the sports in which the medals were won. They have really been working on extending their portfolio and not just focussing on traditional strengths. That's even more encouraging.

really puts it into perspective that all of our medals in sochi were either in ice or snow disciplines. where's the diversity?

10 hours ago, kraussie-kraussie-kraussie said:

really puts it into perspective that all of our medals in sochi were either in ice or snow disciplines. where's the diversity?

Exactly.

"Four-time Olympic champion Laura Trott is frustrated rival riders have questioned Britain's Rio track success."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37165060

Edited by Mainad