Canada Looks To Bid For 2026 Olympic Winter Games

GBModerator

The Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) CEO Chris Overholt quietly sent letters to mayors of seven cities across the country last month probing for interest in bidding to host the 2026 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, according to a PostMedia report Friday. The deadline to respond to the request was set for the end of June. Mayors […]

View the full article

I'm cool with Canada bidding for the 2026 games. If they have European competition they'll loose and have a shot at 2028, if they win, well, then in 2028 the games will come to their true modern home; USA.

Though I doubt Toronto would beat the US city for 2028.

Considering the amount of money that Toronto would have to fork over to host a Summer Olympics and the amount of public opposition they're guaranteed to face, I don't believe they'll be much of a threat to the US in 2028, or even Paris or another good European bid if by some surprise LA takes it in 2024.

What does everybody think of the chances Calgary or Vancouver could win 2026 if they're running against a strong European bid? People talk about the summer olympics never being more than 2 games between a European games, if you don't count the POS that is Sochi the last true European games was in Turin, which will be 4 games in between.

Though I doubt Toronto would beat the US city for 2028.

If the U.S. 2028 city is (repeat host) Los Angeles again (which is the very likelihood, since no other U.S. city wants the extraordinary burden anyway), then I can see Toronto having a good chance of beating L.A.

A factor that Toronto also has over L.A. is being located in the prime-time Eastern time zone of the U.S. Whether how much of a factor it could be, would remain to be seen. But NBC would probably prefer that than a far-off west coast Games.

What does everybody think of the chances Calgary or Vancouver could win 2026 if they're running against a strong European bid? People talk about the summer olympics never being more than 2 games between a European games, if you don't count the POS that is Sochi the last true European games was in Turin, which will be 4 games in between.

They need to find an Alpine or Scandinavian bid city first, though. If it is Calgary vs Almaty vs Yekatarinburg then Canada would have a very good chance of winning.