Guess it's about time to get this thread going.

First up, the swimming team was announced overnight.

Cameron McEvoy headlines powerful Australian swimming team for Rio Olympic Games

With the swim of his life, Jack McCloughlin was the final name to be added to a powerful Australian swimming team for the Rio Games, which was revealed on Thursday night after a week of trials in Adelaide.

The Queenslander's huge effort to finish second behind Mack Horton in the 1500m made him the 21st rookie on the 34-strong team, which also includes 13 returning swimmers and five that are off to their third Olympic Games.

A number of relay swimmers, including James Magnussen, Matt Abood and James Roberts, will be officially added to the team after May 31 when the rankings are finalised by FINA.

They paid the price for missing a top 12 ranking at the World Championships in Russia last year but swam a blistering time trial on Thursday night that would have been good enough to earn them a bronze medal.

A number of key nations are yet to have their national trials, including the USA, but the Australians will storm out of their trials ranked in 25 medal positions, including 10 golds, nine silver and six bronze.

It will be headlined by 21-year-old Cameron McEvoy, who could be the first Australian swimmer to win six medals at a single Games after a virtuoso performance at the trials, which saw him take out the 50m-100m-200m treble

Comeback swimmer Alicia Coutts, who won five medals in the pool in London, is the oldest swimmer at 28 while Kyle Chalmers will be the youngest at just 17. He will swim the 100m alongside McEvoy and the relay.

Head coach Jacco Verhaeren said the trials were hugely pleasing but the swimmers must now not only hold that form but improve for the Games.

"It's here at trials that you really show what your capabilities are and being able to convert that on the bigger stage, that's the goal," Verhaeren said.

"For Cam (McEvoy) his times for starters are phenomenal, particularly the 50 and 100 freestyle, it puts him in a good position. But I think we all know and learnt that positions don't mean anything and for him now and for all of us it's really important to stick to the process."

Dolphins team for Rio Olympic Games Jessica Ashwood, Bronte Barratt, Joshua Beaver, Georgia Bohl, Bronte Campbell, Cate Campbell, Kyle Chalmers, Tamsin Cook, Alicia Coutts, Brittany Elmslie, Blair Evans, Thomas Fraser-Holmes, Madeline Groves, Jacob Hansford, Belinda Hocking, Mack Horton, Grant Irvine, Mitch Larkin, Travis Mahoney, Cameron McEvoy, David McKeon, Emma McKeon, Taylor McKeown, Keryn McMaster, David Morgan, Leah Neale, Kotuku Ngawati, Jake Packard, Joshua Palmer, Emily Seebohm, Daniel Smith, Brianna Throssell, Madison Wilson, Jack McLoughlin. TBC by May 31 James Magnussen, Matt Abood, James Roberts.

SMH

Gotta say, I have mixed feelings on Magnussen missing out (though he still may (probably) make the relays. He blew it in London, and you gotta feel a bit for him over that, but his grandstanding before those games (and especially the Commonwealth Bank ads, not to mention his stillness hijinks) really left a sour taste in my mouth about him.

Well, after the launch of the ceremonies uniforms a fortnight ago...

1459832880308.jpg

Yesterday was the day for the competition kits:

rtx2akg6.jpg

Rio kits unveiled

Not a lot different in the comp kit, IMO, from the past. Apparently a slightly different shade of green. I do like the ceremony uniforms, though. Another nod to the "heritage" look they had for London.

Also, in a change of tradition:

AUSTRALIA will break with one of its most famous sporting traditions by announcing its Olympic flag-bearer before it leaves for this year’s Rio Games.

Australian Olympic team Chef de Mission Kitty Chiller has made the practical call to abandon the custom of announcing the flag-bearer at a team function on Games eve.

Instead it will be announced at a function before the team leaves.

“I want that person to be able to enjoy the experience, not think, ‘in 24 hours I am going to have to carry the flag and I cannot tell anyone because it is all a big secret,’’’ Chiller told The Courier-Mail.

“I watched poor Lauren Jackson in London. She did a fantastic job but she was up until 1 or 2am in the morning doing media the next day and then she had to play.

“She could not tell anyone after Nick (Green) told her a couple of days before.

“I want them to be a leader of the team. It is not just carrying a flag around the track for 400m. They are going to be team captain.

“I will announced it in Australia so that person can enjoy the honour before they get into the focus of it and they get the respect and attention they deserve over a period.’’

The idea of announcing the flag-bearer early was described as “solid’’ by former track queen Raelene Boyle who held the role for the 1976 Gmaes in Montreal.

“It is a very solid idea,’’ Boyle said. “One thing about announcing late was that it created a lot of attention but I cannot see that this way will create any sort of burden on the person who gets it.

“It is just a great honour and my feet did not touch the ground when I walked into the Stadium at Montreal. I can still hear the sounds of Fanfare For The Common Man.’’

The choice of flag-bearer is one of the hottest topics of Australia’s Olympic campaign.

Over the years longevity has been rewarded with the likes of Andrew Gaze (basketball), James Tomkins (rowing), Colin Beashel (sailing) and Andrew Hoy (equestrian) handed the flagbearer’s role for their sustained excellence as well as their leadership traits.

Chiller, sole judge in the decision, said while long service would count there were other more important factors at play.

“Traditionally longevity has played a big part in it. That is one part but it is certainly not the primary part of it for me. It is someone who exhibits the values we are trying to exhibit and to be a great role model for sport in general.’’

Among the contenders are gold medallist Sally Pearson, cyclist Anna Meares and hockey’s Jamie Dwyer, all fine role models.

Dwyer, who has made the last three games and was a pivotal force in Australia’s gold medal win in Athens in 2004, did not expect his career to extend to these Games but he has found fresh zest after being omitted from the Glasgow Commonwealth Games squad in 2014.

The Kookaburras are yet to name their final squad but Dwyer shapes as a likely inclusion and has already been chosen for a media parade featuring the new Games uniforms in Sydney on March 30.

Shooter Michael Diamond is on course for his seventh Olympics but it would be a surprise if he is given the nod to carry the flag.

Diamond has been provisionally chosen for the Games but Shooting Australia will hear a protest from 16-year-old Mitchell Iles, who is the only shooter to record three Benchmark scores of 121 or better since July last year.

Courier Mail

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

Australia's new ClimaCHILL Rio 2016 Adidas Olympic unis that are supposed to be "lighter, faster and more energy efficient" than ever against Rio De Janeiro's tropic climate makes its debut on a bright Sydney day today. Like 'em:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/rio-2016-australian-olympic-team-reveal-adidas-uniforms-for-xxxi-games-20160419-go9lk0.html

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/rio-olympics/rio-2016-australias-uniforms-for-the-olympic-games-unveiled/news-story/ee5de62f72967df6722c34e381f08ec7

http://rio2016.olympics.com.au/media/C7A7E3D0-05E4-11E6-998B005056A37760

http://rio2016.olympics.com.au/news/adidas-unveils-rio-2016-australian-olympic-uniforms

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-19/australias-rio-olympics-uniforms-revealed-in-sydney/7337082

And a short time earlier a couple weeks ago, the formal OC wear the AOC and Sportcraft help design was made public at the Bondi Icebergs also in Sydney with the help of a serenading Brazilian samba drum troupe. But there can be an issue with the green pinstripes upon viewing in HD...

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/rio-olympics-2016-australia-unveil-official-olympic-team-opening-ceremony-uniform-20160329-gntojn.html

Already announced on the Rio Olympic Media Updates thread. But worthy here regarding the Seven Network's Rio 2016 Summer Olympic commentating team. No news on Seven Radio's plans yet?

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/04/seven-announces-rio-olympics-presentation-team.html

For the first time since Seoul 1988, Australia will not send a women's gymnastics team to the Summer Olympic Games heartbreakingly finishing below France at 5th. A shame though. Haunted by the knee injuries to both stars Lauren Mitchell and Mary-Anne Moncton and the need to finish at the top 4 in Rio. Mitchell can still compete solo though. Guess that lessens the demand a bit for Seven's localized gymnastics commentating since it wasn't announced yet on the press release. When it was just an Australian female gymnast in Seoul, it was Monique Powell:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/aussies-fail-to-get-gymnastics-team-to-rio-20160418-go8wmz.html

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/rio-olympics/rio-olympics-2016-australia-fail-to-qualify-gymnastics-team/news-story/ec30f4f166c4ade644a7b2128a17e631

Well, after the launch of the ceremonies uniforms a fortnight ago...

1459832880308.jpg

Yesterday was the day for the competition kits:

rtx2akg6.jpg

Rio kits unveiled

Not a lot different in the comp kit, IMO, from the past. Apparently a slightly different shade of green. I do like the ceremony uniforms, though. Another nod to the "heritage" look they had for London.

Also, in a change of tradition:

The green looks a little aqua/teal-ish on these competition gear. When will they be available for purchase? Easily one of my collective Australian Olympic faves!

• 4 weeks later...
Rio 2016: Australia's Olympic athletes given anti-viral condoms to combat Zika virus

Australian athletes at the Rio Olympics will be supplied with anti-viral condoms to help combat the spread of the Zika virus.

The condoms, that contain an anti-viral lubricant, will be distributed to athletes as a measure to help prevent them contracting the Zika virus which has spread throughout South America.

Sexual transmission of the virus has contributed to it spreading beyond the continent.

Germany last week reported its first case of the virus as a result of a woman becoming infected following a sexual encounter in Puerto Rico.

Australian team chef de mission Kitty Chiller said steps are being taken to minimise the health risk of athletes travelling to Brazil.

Those steps include distribution of the anti-viral condoms that have been developed by one of the team's commercial partners Starpharma.

"The health and wellbeing of the team comes first and our association with Starpharma will provide extra protection for everyone on the team," she said

"It is a common sense approach to a very serious problem we are facing in Rio."

ABC

• 1 month later...

Some updates on the Aussie Olympic Team here:

Sally Pearson sadly won't get to defend her hurdling gold from London after her hamstring tendon tear late last month. She had been struggling with another injury--an Achilles--as she made her ill-fated comeback on the track:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/rio-olympics-sally-pearson-ruled-out-of-rio-games/news-story/fd47c9b0547a2a5ad048717a39019148

Australian Boomers Olympic basketball roster announced yesterday with 6 NBA players like Bogut, Mills, Dellavedova, Ingles (his 4th Olympics), Baynes, and Bairstow:

http://pickandroll.com.au/boomers-named-rio-bogut-included-newley/

The 12-women Opals squad, coached by Brendan Joyce, was also named for Rio:

http://pickandroll.com.au/opals-named-rio-taylor-phillips-return-batkovic-left/

Pretty nice both teams had each player receive large dummy Qantas plane tickets bound for Rio!

The Matildas Olympic women's soccer team was named too. Loaded with lots of young players. Medal may be a possibility:

http://matildas.footballaustralia.com.au/article/westfield-matildas-squad-named-for-rio-games/1cv0gvoziblp01csthd3cppx2d

• 4 weeks later...

Krausie Krausie Krausie! Aussie Aussie Aussie!

Couldn't have hoped for a better start to Rio. Topping the medal tally (everywhere bar the US) now after day 1.

d04771f700592ea67c39fc2ed86cfc45?width=6

Bronze: Men's team Archery. Ryan Tyack, Taylor Worth and Alec Potts Ryan

1470530845813.jpg

Gold: Mack Horton, 400m Freestyle

image.jpg

Gold: Women's 4 X 100m Freestyle. Cate Campbell, Bronte Campbell, Emma Mckeon, Brittany Elmslie

Edited by Sir Rols

Down to official duties I suppose.

04144cdcd7954ed44dc3bb172c7c069d

Gold: Catherine Skinner, Women's trap shooting

1470615575308.jpg

Bronze: Anabelle Smith, Maddison Keeney, Women's 3m springboard synchronised diving

ffc62239a9830dbac46443b1b64b87a3?width=6

Bronze: Mens 4x 100m Freestyle swimming. Cameron McEvoy, James Magnussen, Kyle Chalmers, James Roberts

So we swap places with the USA today. We take their shooting gold from yesterday, and they take our two swimming gold from yesterday. And they pinch our top spot of the medal table. Still, it was a nice view from up there while it lasted, and it's been a bloody brilliant start for us from the first weekend of the games.

Oh, and we have a date with the Canucks in the women's Rugby 7s semi-final. Hopefully we can make them eat beaver.

Edited by Sir Rols

I guess this is where we stuck back home in Oz can also talk about Channel 7.

Okay, I know the local broadcaster is always a siting duck when it comes to bagging out the coverage, but are Seven plumbing new lows this time? First, the atrocious stand-up presenters in the studio (which I understand is in Redfern, not Rio). What's this new trend to ditch the desks and panel teams, and not bringing in the athletes after they won gold for a bit of a studio session. Not feeling any warmth from the cardboard suits standing in front of the projections. 

And then, they've got three fricken channels to give us stuff on, and yet I still find myself channel-surfing and failing to find anything interesting beyond the fifth replay of Basketball pool matches involving the Opals or the Boomers. Yeah, I get it. The networks in their wisdom always assure us that viewers aren't interested in watching anything that doesn't have an Aussie in it, but FFS, can't they throw us a bone on one of their multicast channels (at least when they're not doing Home & Away catch-up repeats).

I'm not even going into criticising the on-air presenting talent - none have been memorable enough to make an impression on me at all. At least Eddie Maguire could provoke you to want to throw dishes at the screen. These cardboard suited Seven clones just put me to sleep.

On the plus side, nice to see Bruce McAvaney back, all five seconds of screen time I've seen of him. And at least they didn't send Kochie to Rio.

Anyway, that's my initial rant at Seven done for the moment. I'm off to find some streaming footage of daytime events that don't necessarily involve Bronzed Aussie Gods.

Edited by Sir Rols

39 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Anyway, that's my initial rant at Seven done for the moment. I'm off to find some streaming footage of daytime events that don't necessarily involve Bronzed Aussie Gods.

don't you guys have an app where you can pick and choose your content to stream? i've been watching everything streaming live on the NBC app and website and didn't even bother checking in during primetime, although i watched the whole thing last night.

a lot of our streaming commentators are australian or new zealanders from the sound of it for whatever reason. refreshingly balanced coverage considering that i enjoy dry commentary and hate "color" since i like to pretend to be the third commentator making various witty asides to literally no one.

It's been hit and miss for me.  They never seem to have problems with the adverts, but then it's cross your fingers to see if the event footage actually runs.

Speaking of apps - the official Rio 2016 OCOG is pretty clunky also.The first two days it kept freezing up every time I tried to enter my preferences. I had to delete and re-install it multiple times. Now it seems to work, but it's a bitch to navigate even to find a simple thing like the schedule.

Some interesting facts I didn't realise coming from the Rugby 7s women's win. Our first team win since Athens, and our first women's team win since 2000. I was surprised, considering our hockey and basketball teams usually do well (though obviously have fallen just short of gold in recent editions).

Well, the pool didn't exactly go to script tonight, but thems the Olympics. Mitch and Emily will be back for the 200m. I thought they both were extremely gracious and composed in their post swim poolside interviews. Good media training or good mental toughness?

In the meantime, I guess that means we can expect ever higher replay rotation of...

article-urn:publicid:ap.org:51294b4b52b4

Gold: Women's Rugby Sevens

Yes, that's sure one to savour.

I think I'm hitting my straps in the games now. Really enjoying them. Men's quads look really strong in the rowing (like the course, too. For all its maligned crosswinds).

Equestrian is always on the of the my favourite events in the Games, and the cross country part of the eventing my favourite of that. So really good to see the team on top now after that stage. Will be setting the recorder to tape the showjumping overnight, and hoping I wake up to some nice news and footage.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

The rugby sevens match was fantastic to watch, disappointing for Mitch and Emily but as a nation we already have half the gold we got in London and it's only been 3 days! 

Also watched the canoe slalom and Jess Fox was killing it! She should get a medal, maybe gold if she can top the Italian! I think we are in the lead in Equestrian (I tried watching it last night, it's just so boring my god) but still hope we medal. 

And heaps more chances still to come, it's been a great start for us Aussies! 

18 hours ago, Hobart said:

The 7 app isn't working. Have looked a few times and always says they are having technical difficulties.

17 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

It's been hit and miss for me.  They never seem to have problems with the adverts, but then it's cross your fingers to see if the event footage actually runs.

Speaking of apps - the official Rio 2016 OCOG is pretty clunky also.The first two days it kept freezing up every time I tried to enter my preferences. I had to delete and re-install it multiple times. Now it seems to work, but it's a bitch to navigate even to find a simple thing like the schedule.

I've just been googling 7 live on safari/google and using it from there. It allows you to choose channel 7, 7 two and 7 mate.

No problems on that part but have had issues with the app. Unless you've paid the $20 in which case i'd be pissed off if it isn't working! 

41 minutes ago, Olympic Fan Darcy said:

I think we are in the lead in Equestrian (I tried watching it last night, it's just so boring my god) but still hope we medal. 

We're leading both in individual (Chrtistopher Burton) and team. So cross fingers and send them all good karma vibes.

i think it's always just so beautiful to watch. Anything with horses in it can't be bad.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

We're leading both in individual (Chrtistopher Brennan) and team. So cross fingers and send them all good karma vibes.

i think it's always just so beautiful to watch. Anything with horses in it can't be bad.

I'll probably tune in and watch as it starts at 10pm and I doubt there'll be much else on and we have a great shot at winning gold. 

The horses are great, I just find it very slow, don't quite understand the talent of it all. I see canoe slalom and see how hard they try to get through the course or diving/synchronized swimming with the things they can do in the air and then I see dressage and to me it seems like a horse just walking around. Doesn't look like the human does much and feels like it's all about how the horse goes which isn't really the olympics to me. 

But everyone has different interests obviously and it's great we are doing well. 

• Like 1

I agree with you on dressage - like watching paint dry (or cricket). Cross country and jumping, though, I find exciting. It's all about the communication and relationship between the rider and the horse, and how well the rider can control the mount. And don't forget, the horse gets a medal at the end as well!

More animals, I say. I still would like to see dog sledding in the WOGs.

But you're right. It's all individual taste and interests. Different horses for different courses.

First day without a gold. And I went to bed with such high hopes... :unsure:

Actually, I've missed most of the coverage today so far. Will be catching up this afternoon. While the swimming finals were on i was actually swimming laps myself (in one of the 2000 training pools no less). But my best 50m time (57 seconds) is still slower than the 100m qualifying time.

Still a few to add to the wall...

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0809%2Fr111798_1

Bronze: Equestrian team eventing

7713316-3x2-700x467.jpg

Bronze: Emma McKeon, Women's 200m freestyle

Tomorrow, McEvoy and Chalmers have both made it into the 100m final. Will they deliver? Oh, the tension....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

First day without a gold. And I went to bed with such high hopes... :unsure:

Actually, I've missed most of the coverage today so far. Will be catching up this afternoon. While the swimming finals were on i was actually swimming laps myself (in one of the 2000 training pools no less). But my best 50m time (57 seconds) is still slower than the 100m qualifying time.

Still a few to add to the wall...

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0809%2Fr111798_1

Bronze: Equestrian team eventing

7713316-3x2-700x467.jpg

Bronze: Emma McKeon, Women's 200m freestyle

Tomorrow, McEvoy and Chalmers have both made it into the 100m final. Will they deliver? Oh, the tension....

Caught the horse jumping last night, saw one of the Aussies and they had a terrible go, knocked 4 bars off. Wasn't looking good so wen to bed. Glad to have woken up to bronze. And Emma McKeon's bronze was fantastic. From gold in the 4x100m team freestyle to tears in her interview just 2 days ago for coming the 100m butterfly final to a surprise bronze today. 

Disappointing about the 4x200m mens freestyle relay, apparently McEvoy wanted to swim but the coaches decided to rest him. The Aussies were very close to getting bronze. I think if they had McEvoy instead of say Daniel Smith then we could've gotten silver or bronze. 

Apparently, if McEvoy swum intead of Smith and swum the same time he got in Adelaide we would've gotten bronze.

McEvoy in April finished equal first in the 200m freestyle event during the Australian Swimming Championships in Adelaide.
His time of 1:45.63 at that meet was 1.74 seconds faster than the time Australia’s third swimmer Smith (1:47.37) produced in the Rio pool on Wednesday.
Horton (1:45.37), McKeon (1:45.63) and Fraser-Holmes (1:45.81) all swam under 106 seconds in the final.
If Smith’s time had been replaced by McEvoy’s, Australia would have narrowly been edged by silver-medallists Britain.

Alright, let's get this day's wrap going.

God I was tense today ahead of the swimming. I'd wondered if Cam McEvoy was off, or leaving some energy in the tank, and whether Chalmers had already given his all just to post the qualifying times he did. But, well, more on that later... Anyway, I think the tension spilled over to here - I was a bit ranty in some of my comments and replies this morning. I noticed I'd notably mellowed by the time the 100m was done and settled.

I was actually gonna comment yesterday that we had yet to get a silver. I didn't want to put a mocker on today's events. Well, we got some silvers, so maybe I didi. But I'm more than happy at those we got.

So today's honour roll:

3718F3A500000578-3734089-image-a-36_1470

Silver: Madeline Groves, Women's 200m butterfly

37188C4800000578-3734094-The_18_year_old

Gold: Kyle Chalmers, 100m Freestyle

3718FA4400000578-3734167-image-a-133_147

Silver: Women's 4 x 200m freestyle Relay. Bronte Barratt, Emma McKeon, Leah Neale, Tamsin Cook

I'd been hoping for a gold in the relay, but am extremely happy at that swim. You knew Ledecky would seal it for the yanks when she dived in with only a narrow lead to Oz. Just great we managed to hold off the Canucks for silver. Onya girls.

And so the 100m. To answer the earlier questions - Cam was off his game. But Kyle did have more to give. And what a come from behind for Kyle to get that finish! Wow. I think the nation was stunned it wasn't McEvoy, but then delighted. Guess we'll be seeing a lot more of Chalmers now. Gotta hand it to McEvoy, though. His post swim interview by the pool was pure class. So poised and gracious. 

Well, I've gotta make sure I go and swim a few laps tonight. It seems to be a good luck charm for the Rio swim team. I did 20 laps after the OC, and we got two gold the next day. I didi 20 yesterday, and came up a gold and two silver today. Guess I gotta do my bit now for the Campbell sisters - maybe get my own PB down to 56 secs. But that sister act's for tomorrow. Go Girls!

PS: Sh!t, there was some guy in the earlier men's 100m relays who I thought was quite cute, but can't remember who now. I was gonna post him up in Hot Bods. Guess I gotta surf through lot of pics of relay swimmers now.

PPS: Bummer about the men's 7s. But oh well, can cheer on Fiji now.

Edited by Sir Rols

Sorry, haven't been inside here in a while due to my work and giving priority to my still-working media thread. Always enjoy being with the Aussies here at Olympic time.

Special mention should go towards the Boomers for giving Team USA its most competitive basketball match so far in these Olympics. Even lead at halftime. I seriously believe this will finally be the Boomers team that will medal at last at the Olympics with its batch of NBA stars like Bogut, Mills, Baynes, Ingles, and Dellevadova. Like to see them at the gold medal game against the USA, something we should've had in Sydney like the women's game did. Speaking of Sydney, they seem to avenge for the semifinals loss to France this time out, albeit with different casts on both sides. Even the Opals beat Les Bleues this time too! Local shout-out to former Saint Louis Billikens sharpshooter Kevin Lisch on the Boomers, who naturalized as an Aussie after playing for the Perth Wildcats and now with Andrew Gaze's Sydney Kings in the NBL!

• Like 1