Tokyo 2020 Logo Shortlist - THE GamesBids Verdict

Tokyo 2020 - Second Time Lucky Logo Poll  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best OLYMPIC logo?

• A. Harmonized chequered emblem
    • B. Connecting Circle, Expanding Harmony
    • C. Surpassing One?s Personal Best
    • D. Flowering of Emotions
  2. 2. Which is the best PARALYMPIC logo?

3. 3. If you have to pick a PAIR of logos for both Games, which is the best?

What do we reckon guys and gals?

VOTE NOW!

A. Harmonized chequered emblem

Chequered patterns have been popular in many countries around the world throughout history. In Japan, the chequered pattern became formally known as ichimatsu moyo in the Edo period (1603-1867), and this chequered design in the traditional Japanese colour of indigo blue expresses a refined elegance and sophistication that exemplifies Japan.

Composed of three varieties of rectangular shapes, the design represents different countries, cultures and ways of thinking. It incorporates the message of unity in diversity. It also expresses that the Olympic and Paralympic Games seek to promote diversity as a platform to connect the world.

ShortlistedEmblems_A.jpg

B. Connecting Circle, Expanding Harmony

This design expresses the connection between the dynamism of the athletes and the joy of the spectators, and the expansion of peace and harmony throughout the world.

It seeks to encompass mental and physical strength, dynamic movement and speed, and the euphoric emotions that the world derives from outstanding athletic performances.

The design also expresses the respect and warm hospitality that will be accorded to visitors from around the world to the Tokyo 2020 Games.

ShortlistedEmblems_B.jpg

C. Surpassing Ones Personal Best

These emblems were inspired by the traditional Wind God and the Thunder God, and seek to convey dynamic movement at the instant an athlete breaks the tape on the finish line. They also represent athletes as they endeavour to attain and surpass their personal best.

The Wind God and the Thunder God have been much loved by the people of Japan for centuries. (e.g. the famous painting by the early 17th century Japanese artist Tawaraya Sotatsu, and the statues of these Gods at the Kaminari-mon Gate in Tokyos Asakusa district)

In the original depiction, the taiko drums held by the Thunder God are represented by fireworks, while the Wind Cloth held by the Wind God is replaced by the portrayal of a rainbow to symbolise the concepts of peace, diversity and harmony.

The emblems also express the athletes continued contribution to peace through their mental and physical tenacity, and a connection to the future.

ShortlistedEmblems_C.jpg

D. Flowering of Emotions

The morning glory flower as it faces up towards the heavens to greet the new morning, expresses the faces of athletes striving to attain a personal best and the bright faces of people as they applaud the athletes. The upward-looking morning glory also represents the climax of this range of emotions.

The seed of the morning glory sprouts, the vine grows, and the flower opens,the process of the flower growing and eventually returning to seed conveys the sense of expectation for the Games and succession to the next generation.

This flower was particularly popular during Japan's Edo period (1603-1867), and remains a firm favourite (e.g. as subject for Ukiyoe prints.)

It signifies a heightened sense of anticipation towards the 2020 Games and the warm welcome that visitors from around the world will receive.

ShortlistedEmblems_D.jpg

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

A is kind of cool but i also reminds me of another logo that I just can't place (uh oh), B looks kind of Canadian (I see a maple leaf), C is just awful and D looks the most "Japanese" and continues the floral theme started with the bid logo.

I'm opting for D. It is different, and does not immediately say 'sports' to me. It will look great on a t-shirt.

Paralympics wise I think B actually looks quite dynamic though I prefer D as an overall concept.

Edited by thatsnotmypuppy

None of them look Japanese to me. A is making me think of Germany - a bit of Munich in there. B looks Chinese to me - especially the Paralympic one. For some reason, I think C is a Pan Am games logo for somewhere like Panama. And D is probably the most Japanese but looks a bit ex-Soviet to me, like something Almaty could do. And they all look less modern than Rio's :/

D is without doubt the best (at least for me). The C paralympic one reminds me of...

5508dcf68c6e38934025a52dc42b1e19.jpg

Whats the time limit for the voting process, btw?

D looks the best imo. And it's the one that closely looks Japanese to me. C looks kind of Thai or even Indian. It has a very Vishnu vibe for me. A looks too European, and B just doesn't do anything for me.

First off, I don't actually like any of them...but the least worst are....

B for the Olympic logo....even though it looks like one of Rio's dancers being sucked into the event horizon of a black hole it is at least balanced and you can see the rising sun in the red circle.

C for the Paralympic logo....generally bored of running figures and the Italian flag is a bit weird, but it's better than the Olympic logo of this pair which has fat legs and a French flag. Bland but usable.

As a pair I went for B. Fairly uninspiring but a bit slicker than the others. That's about the best I can say. :mellow:

Least bad...B.

They all fucking suck though. Why can't Japan give us a good damn logo? Maybe it's because they limited it to only Japanese firms? Or maybe Japan is a one hit logo wonder.

A would look better in a different color scheme.

They all fucking suck though. Why can't Japan give us a good damn logo? Maybe it's because they limited it to only Japanese firms? Or maybe Japan is a one hit logo wonder.

Hold the f**k up. This logo competition is for the ACTUAL 2020 Tokyo games, and this isn't just a forum competition just to kill time with logos created by forum users???

• Like 1

The font in D.... god, no.

that's my favorite font of them all... I just think it will look better in venues as it will be seen all over the place compared to the very similar other three.

Hold the f**k up. This logo competition is for the ACTUAL 2020 Tokyo games, and this isn't just a forum competition just to kill time with logos created by forum users???

Are you joking or did you genuinely think this was a GB comp?

Are you joking or did you genuinely think this was a GB comp?

Not joking, I hadn't read the update on the Tokyo logo thread lol

• Like 1

Well, none of them are particularly pushing any boundaries.

In which case I reckon D's the crowd pleaser.

And anyway, it's always nice to wake up to a morning glory.

Well, none of them are particularly pushing any boundaries.

In which case I reckon D's the crowd pleaser.

And anyway, it's always nice to wake up to a morning glory.

Or a morning glory hole...I'm fine with either one.

D's font and center sun is just something god awful drawn out from the 90s. I guess it makes sense though...I mean it will be like 90s in the US given we'll have a Clinton in the White House in 2020.

I think B or A with a new color scheme is their best bet...or they could stick with the bid logo.

Actually, I vote Paul's logo. Can Paul's logo be the official one? That one is so much better than this garbage.

After thinking about it calmly, I'm gonna choose B as best Olympic logo, best Paralympic logo and best pair. I'm not totally convinced because they remind me of Rio too much, not only because of the human figure as Rob has already pointed out but also because of the red shape in the Paralympic one which is similar to Rio's Paralympic logo too. The Olympic logo also reminds me of many other things with circles as logos, so it's not very original, but it's the only candidate that I can imagine being used as the logo for the Games.

As I said on the other thread, my favourite concept is C, but not the logos as they look now. I hope they'll consider reusing the idea for the mascots because I really like it.

I was hating A when I saw it first but now that I look again at it, looks like the kind of "innovative" stuff they would had pick back on the late 00's when London and Sochi attempted to break the molds. However the checkered pattern is something which the japanese people will recognize the most since its not really an international thing. It was widely used on their kimonos as a popular design long ago

tumblr_mzzzurUK9k1rd6s2wo1_500.jpg

tabi192k-3031_2.jpg

It is also still a popular pattern in modern clothing for young people

20150401-eyescream-2-thumb-360x500-13348

I don't remember well but the protagonist of one of those recent Tokusatsu shows used a variant of the Ichimatsu pattern.

You know the taste of Japanese people often differ a lot from the west so they may pick a whole different thing than we could expect here.

• Like 1

A. I actually quite like it. It's simple and classy and retains an actual design.

B. Yeah, I agree Yoshi. That looks really Chinese to me.

C. I LOVE this one. It reminds me of the Nagano logo yet it still retains a modern cartoony twist. It also depicts an athlete which is always a nice addition since this is a sporting event after all. Though, I do have an issue with the colors on the legs of said athletes. They are interesting to say the least. The Olympic logo legs look like the French flag, and the Paralympic one looks like the Italian flag. But the style of the logo overall seems very "Japanese" to me.

D. I don't like it. I like the concept, but the whole thing seems like it's not finished to me. And yeah, that sun is pretty weird and out of place.