Eurovision.

Crikey that was close!

Congrats to Ukraine!!

i am so SO sorry about that. i was totally pulling for dami. i can't believe how robbed she was. right at the end too.

i won't go into how low laura was scored by the voting public (51 pts? are you serious?). but to give it to that 8-toed bitch? ugh. UGH. i really wanted dami. :/

Well Laura got our 12 points - so not a total loss for you :)

yes, that was basically my favorite moment in 30 years of life so far. i was screaming so loud at yoko ono with the birds nest necklace.

any country that gets laura gets me. she wanted her top 10 and she got it. good for you, laur. sebastian would reward you by letting you smell a piece of bread.

And now here comes the awkward moment when you remember Ukraine said they wanted to host the ESC at Crimea in case they won. So we better get ready for some drama on the upcoming months. Looks like anti-russian sentment influenced the ESC yet again.

Also, Europe almost lost to Australia if it wasn't for the new voting system which pretty much turned the contest onto a Quiditch tournament.

Also, Europe almost lost to Australia if it wasn't for the new voting system which pretty much turned the contest onto a Quiditch tournament.

can you explain this analogy? do you mean that australia was legitimately winning until ukraine got the little gold ball thingie, which counts for a disproportionate amount of points, or does this mean something else?

• Like 1

I'm conflicted with this new voting system. On the one hand you have some tension on where the top 3 or so votes will go during the televote round which could make or break the current leader (or the leader from the jury vote), yet on the other hand it's unlikely that we'll see nail biting close finishers again where nations win over others by just 1 or 2 votes.

I'm conflicted with this new voting system. On the one hand you have some tension on where the top 3 or so votes will go during the televote round which could make or break the current leader (or the leader from the jury vote), yet on the other hand it's unlikely that we'll see nail biting close finishers again where nations win over others by just 1 or 2 votes.

yeah that is not going to happen again.

it was kind of random. i had no idea how many points they were going to give out at the end. 167 points. 450 points. 7,130 points.

you could literally score no points from the jury and then come in first from the other vote and win the whole thing. kind of anti-climatic.

41 countries ( but you can't vote for yourself). 41 x 12 = 492. So in theory in each round that is the maximum you can get. Dami's 320 is an extraordinary jury result. However only scoring 191 public points is a bit baffling...

I thoroughly agree with our complete support of Belgium though.

Edited by thatsnotmypuppy

you could literally score no points from the jury and then come in first from the other vote and win the whole thing. kind of anti-climatic.

You could do that, but only if the juries were judging on completely different criteria from the public. As it happened, there were at least one-and-a-half examples of that last night, Poland (almost ignored by the judges but benefiting hugely from the Warsaw Pact among phone voters) and the UK (judges harsh-but-fair, phone voters resolutely anti).

Ukraine and Australia were at least in the same ballpark for both votes, so one of the right candidates won.

It is absolutely fascinating that this is still a thing. I mean besides ABBA and Celine Dion has any Eurovision performer/winner ever really amounted to much?

I mean it is the longest running talent competition in the world and its success rate is worse then India's trying to install plumbing.

I can't get that frikin' "what's the pressure" out of my head....damn you krow.

The winning song is definitely a wtf...... :blink: ...I mean talk about heavy...I thought this was supposed to be fun....she needs a few of Laura's dance moves.

Edited by paul

It is absolutely fascinating that this is still a thing. I mean besides ABBA and Celine Dion has any Eurovision performer/winner ever really amounted to much?

I mean it is the longest running talent competition in the world and its success rate is worse then India's trying to install plumbing.

It's not a "talent competition" like Idols etc. Many winners certainly managed decent careers at home at least.

I had been in Stockholm for Eurovision and it was a great time again - the shows and the hosts were marvelous!

I have to admit that I am not really happy about the winning country, since it is very political and it happened during the week that you were verbally attacked when you liked the Russian song more... The people started to argue when you are against Russia's homophobic politics and the Crimeanian occupation you have to vote for Ukraine (like the Ukrainian LGBT laws are much better than in Russia *cough* *cough* *cough*)...

I neither like the tune nor the voice of Jamala - and I would have preferred a victory by Australia, Austria, Bulgaria, Latvia, France or Russia...

I had been in Stockholm for Eurovision and it was a great time again - the shows and the hosts were marvelous!

I have to admit that I am not really happy about the winning country, since it is very political and it happened during the week that you were verbally attacked when you liked the Russian song more... The people started to argue when you are against Russia's homophobic politics and the Crimeanian occupation you have to vote for Ukraine (like the Ukrainian LGBT laws are much better than in Russia *cough* *cough* *cough*)...

I neither like the tune nor the voice of Jamala - and I would have preferred a victory by Australia, Austria, Bulgaria, Latvia, France or Russia...

i completely .... AGREE with this assessment. i thought mans, last year's winner or whatever, was great and having terrible cohost to make fun of was a nice balance ("some of you may be wondering why petra's son is standing next to her" was pretty good.)

jamala is an awful choice for winner and any of those countries you mentioned would have made fine alternatives.

and, no, i'm not at all sad laura didn't win (despite having the best song and the best routine) because while appearing at eurovision as a contestant is embarrassing enough, winning eurovision is basically like shoving your career off a cliff into shark-infested waters.

good luck with that, jams. at least now we know whose house the russian soldiers are coming to first when they invade the rest of ukraine.