Donald Trump

I detest the Clintons, for many reasons.  I do not like many things Trump has done.  However in the US we had a choice between Hillary and Trump.    The two party system set this up.  It's time for it to go.

6 hours ago, POV said:

150 MASS shootings, can you support that statement in any way?

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

The 150 figure is of course now very out-of-date.

There was a shooting injuring 4 people on 16 August, another killing 2 and injuring 2 on 14 August, three separate incidents injuring a total of 13 people on 13 August, a shooting in which one person died and 3 were injured on 12 August. Amazingly, from then back to 6 August (Sundays always seem to bring out the worst in people) there was only one incident: 1 person killed and 6 injured on 8 August.

7 hours ago, POV said:

I detest the Clintons, for many reasons.  I do not like many things Trump has done.  However in the US we had a choice between Hillary and Trump.    The two party system set this up.  It's time for it to go.

It is worth pointing out that it has also saved the US from extreme governments and leaders until now. Bush Sr, Clinton, Obama et al were all perfectly solid leaders, and Bush Jr's missteps were a product of being completely unprepared to be president rather than being an extremist.

I don't particularly like the two party system, but reducing participation from the far left and far right is the one thing it does well.

30 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

The 150 figure is of course now very out-of-date.

Pistols make up only 34% of firearms in the USA yet are responsible for 86% of all firearms crimes.

I spent two months last summer in a Native American fishing village in Alaska where people hunt and fish to survive the winter. There was a grizzly bear attack while I was there. (The woman attacked survived.) I think it is easy for people in New York or LA to forget that there are parts of America where people really do need access to rifles and shotguns.

But I have never been anywhere where civilians need automatic weapons or pistols.

Edited by Nacre

On 8/17/2017 at 8:57 PM, POV said:

A first past the post voting system naturally leads to a two party system overtime. You would have to alter the way in which the election results are calculated. 

1 hour ago, Rob. said:

Bannon was the power behind the throne...and had simply run out of friends in the West Wing. 

As for learning from history...You can clearly make the Trump comparison to Woodrow Wilson - almost exactly.

Under Wilson, a confirmed white racist, the US Government was torn apart and segregation reenacted. Jim Crow laws legitimized.

Really you are looking a one hundred year battle that Trump - or really - Bannon deliberately tore the scab off and allowed the infection to fester and grow again. 

• 3 months later...

The President of the USA has occupied himself during his morning dump by retweeting Britain First tweets...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain_First

To be clear, your President is helping to distribute British Nazi propaganda. I never thought in my lifetime I'd write that sentence but there is no other way to spin this.

Oh for a man on a grassy knoll

DPzB5r_X4AEvn_f.jpg

(hint: not actually Muslim, nor a migrant)

Edited by Rob.

What never fails to make me laugh is the way Trump is always screaming at the liberal media for printing "fake news" about him when he must be the biggest purveyor of fake news his country has ever seen!!! :rolleyes:

And they're completely open about that. I kid you not, this is from the WH Press Secretary tonight:

“Whether it’s a real video, the threat is real, and that is what the president is talking about,”

I'm tempted to rant as you did in the EU thread about you starting that post with "what makes me laugh". ;) This is beyond the omnishambles and incompetence of Brexit, I really can't find anything amusing in this. It's scary. I hope America has recovered from this by 2028.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2016 was truly a bizarre year!  Both the British and American electorates had massive brainfarts resulting in the tragi-comedies of Brexit and Trump and we are seeing their inevitable consequences in action now!

Where Trump is concerned, I'm just hoping that he will be removed from office as soon as possible because the longer he is in power the more dangers there are to the stability of the US and the world in general. Beyond all the comic absurdities of the man is the sobering fact that he is the one with his finger on the nuclear trigger and that is what's so frightening!!!

Edited by Mainad

On 11/29/2017 at 10:57 AM, Mainad said:

What never fails to make me laugh is the way Trump is always screaming at the liberal media for printing "fake news" about him when he must be the biggest purveyor of fake news his country has ever seen!!! :rolleyes:

He has in fact co-opted the phrase after it was used to describe the media policy of himself and of his supporters.

On 11/29/2017 at 3:59 PM, Mainad said:

Where Trump is concerned, I'm just hoping that he will be removed from office as soon as possible because the longer he is in power the more dangers there are to the stability of the US and the world in general. Beyond all the comic absurdities of the man is the sobering fact that he is the one with his finger on the nuclear trigger and that is what's so frightening!!!

That will not be possible as long as the Republicans control the legislature. Unfortunately partisanship has now reached the point where the Republicans will literally accept a pedophile as one of their own rather than accept working with a non-pedophile from another party.

You thought he wasn't going to do anything else which would screw up the balance of the world more than it already is? Well....surpriiiiise.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42245289

Trump's Jerusalem calls spark warnings from Arab leaders

Arab leaders have warned US President Donald Trump that moving the American embassy in Israel to Jerusalem could have dangerous repercussions.

Mr Trump phoned several regional leaders on Tuesday to tell them he intended to move it from Tel Aviv.

Saudi Arabia's King Salman told the US leader that any such move would provoke Muslims around the world.

The calls came amid speculation that Mr Trump could recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital on Wednesday.

He is scheduled to deliver remarks and White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said he was "pretty solid" in his thinking on the issue.

The city's fate is one of the thorniest issues between Israel and the Palestinians.

If Washington recognises Jerusalem as Israel's capital, it would be the first country to do so since the foundation of the state in 1948.

King Salman told Mr Trump that the relocation of the embassy or recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital "would constitute a flagrant provocation of Muslims, all over the world", the official Saudi Press Agency reported.

Meanwhile, US government employees and their families have been barred from personal travel in Jerusalem's Old City and the West Bank for security reasons ahead of planned protests.

In other reaction from leaders who spoke to Mr Trump:

• Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas "warned of the dangerous consequences such a decision would have to the peace process and to the peace, security and stability of the region and of the world"
  • Jordan's King Abdullah said the decision would "undermine efforts to resume the peace process" and provoke Muslims. Jordan acts as custodian of the Islamic sites in Jerusalem
  • Egypt's President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi urged Mr Trump "not to complicate the situation in the region"

Official statements from the Palestinian Authority and Jordan confirmed that Mr Abbas and King Abdullah were told of Mr Trump's intention to move the embassy, while the Saudi reports did not say so explicitly.

None of the leaders said if Mr Trump had specified when the embassy move would take place. He promised the move during his campaign for the presidency.

Israel has always regarded Jerusalem as its capital city, while the Palestinians claim East Jerusalem as the capital of a future Palestinian state.

Reports suggest Mr Trump will sign a waiver to keep the embassy in Tel Aviv for six more months, while committing to a move.

The White House only said the president discussed potential decisions regarding Jerusalem with all the Middle East leaders he spoke to on Tuesday, including Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Israel preparing for violence

Earlier, Turkey's president Recep Tayyip Erdogan warned his country could sever ties with Israel if the US recognised Jerusalem as its capital.

Ismail Haniya, the chief of the Islamist Hamas group that runs Gaza, said a shift of the embassy and recognition of Jerusalem as the Israeli capital would cross "every red line".

What makes Jerusalem so holy?

France, the European Union and the Arab League have also spoken out to express concern.

Israel's intelligence minister Israel Katz told Army Radio that he expected Mr Trump would recognise Jerusalem as his country's capital and said that Israel was "preparing for every option", including an outbreak of violence.

What is so contentious about Jerusalem's status?

The status of Jerusalem goes to the heart of Israel's conflict with the Palestinians, who are backed by the rest of the Arab and wider Islamic world.

The city is home to key religious sites sacred to Judaism, Islam and Christianity, especially in East Jerusalem.

Israel occupied the sector, previously occupied by Jordan, in the 1967 Middle East war and regards the entire city as its indivisible capital.

The Palestinians claim East Jerusalem as the capital of a future state, and according to 1993 Israel-Palestinian peace accords, its final status is meant to be discussed in the latter stages of peace talks.

Israeli sovereignty over Jerusalem has never been recognised internationally, and all countries, including Israel's closest ally the US, maintain their embassies in Tel Aviv.

Since 1967, Israel has built a dozen settlements, home to about 200,000 Jews, in East Jerusalem. These are considered illegal under international law, though Israel disputes this.

If the US recognises Jerusalem as Israel's capital, it would reinforce Israel's position that settlements in the east are valid Israeli communities.

• 1 month later...

So pathetic that such a large portion of the American population is so willfully ignorant and abhorrent, including the leadership in Congress. Unfortunate that because just 30% of people still back this disgusting lump of human garbage that is Donald Trump, he is allowed to speak on behalf of a nation of (mostly) great people. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately a lot of American nationalists support him precisely because he is so deliberately antagonistic.

I have to admit that I find it hilarious that he is simultaneously supported by radical Zionists and radical anti-Semites.

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...
On 8/27/2021 at 3:30 AM, Rob. said:

A judge in the US has ordered Trump's lawyers to "take remedial legal education on how to file a lawsuit and on election law" - and prove they had taken those classes. Amazing. :lol::lol::lol:

yeah US judges have a weird amount of discretion when it comes to inventive punishment.

• 1 year later...