London 2012 Legacy Thread cont'd.

Rob2012

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

^ The ceremonies of a games are like the front and back covers of a book. Although all the pages between those two parts may be fantastic, if the outer layer of that book is weak or mediocre, that will affect various people's impression of the book in general.

I still think that affected, for example, the 2012 games, at least in the beginning.

There was a lot of talk and media coverage of how many venues had quite a few noticeably empty seats. Although I assume most of that was due to things like ticket users having conflicting schedules or not using their seats because they were visiting friends or families in the UK, etc, etc, etc, I still think at least a part of that was due to the tone or vibe of the opening ceremony. To me it came off like a salute to the British entertainment industry or London chamber of commerce. So it didn't seem international, inspiring or "Olympics" enough.

Yea, yea, YMMV. Other people said they were a fantastic start of those games. So to each his own, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I say tomato, you say tomah-to. Yadda, yadda. But 2012 did start off with a lot of press about venues with people dressed up like empty seats.

But... many of the empty seats were for various games officials and not the general public:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/jul/29/olympics-empty-seats-locog-army

More than 50 soldiers took seats at the North Greenwich Arena on Sunday morning when they were left empty by the "Olympic family". Some of the troops, working at the Olympics to provide security, said they were scheduled to start shifts but instead were offered courtside seats at the basketball arena to watch the USA v France.

Despite featuring superstars including Kobe Bryant and being close to a sellout with the public, there were around 40 empty seats in the arena reserved for Olympic and sporting officials. "We're seat fillers," said one of 15 soldiers drafted on Sunday afternoon. "They asked who likes basketball and we put our hands up."

Q&A on why seats at Olympic venues are empty - BBC

Eight per cent of tickets have been made available to sponsors and 75% to the public. Another 12% go to National Olympic Committees and 5% to the Olympic family - people like IOC officials and the media.

The gaps are due to people from a range of those different groups not filling them, the IOC's Mark Adams has said.

Empty seats and the privilege of the Games - BBC

A quarter of all places are reserved for VIPs as well as the media and athletes, but even at sought-after finals, many of the reserved spots have remained unused.

Basically, the Opening Ceremony had pretty much nothing to do with empty seats and you're just making stuff up

^ Hey, you grabbed a post of mines from another thread. I think that was from one of the 2028 threads. Although that and my posts in the threads for 2024 are becoming one big jumble.

Who'd think a topic as seemingly harmless as "Olympics" could cause instances of more heat than debate.

I guess I should insert a footnote like this into my posts:

The views and opinions expressed [Venue where opinions are being expressed] are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of [Name of entity]. Any content provided by our bloggers or authors are of their opinion and are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, individual or anyone or anything.

Just so you know, if 2028 ends up mirroring major aspects of 2012, I'll personally feel way more negative, not less.

In a way I'm less bothered by 2012 because, since I'm not a resident of London/UK, I don't take "2012" as personally.

I guess it's a variation of how a brother or sister can put down his or her siblings, but the neighbor down the street can't.

That's why I'd never have posted here what you copied from my comments from another thread. It would be snotty for me to bad mouth 2012 in a thread that gives it high marks and is supposed to be about its legacy.

If the following makes the pro-2012 crowd feel better, I'll post this here:

https://www.nme.com/news/film/danny-boyle-s-trainspotting-gets-massive-sales-boo-866235

Sales of Danny Boyle‘s 1996 movie Trainspotting have increased 5,800% on Amazon following the director’s well-received Olympics Opening Ceremony on Friday night (July 27).

A peak of 27 million UK TV viewers watched the four-hour spectacle, which had an ‘Isles Of Wonder’ theme and featured Bond star Daniel Craig and The Queen apparently leaping from a helicopter into the Olympic Stadium. Performances on the night came from Paul McCartney, Arctic Monkeys and Emeli Sandé.

Since the Opening Ceremony, Amazon has seen increased demand for DVDs and mp3s of Boyle’s entire back catalogue, which includes 2000’s The Beach, 2007’s Sunshine and 2010’s 127 Hours. However, after Trainspotting, it is Boyle’s 2008 Oscar winner Slumdog Millionaire that has experienced the biggest boost, with sales rising 900%.

• 4 weeks later...

London Olympic and Paralympic spirit rekindled to celebrate 10 years on from Games

Mayor to mark 10-year anniversary celebrations as Queen Elizabeth Park becomes home to world class sporting, education and cultural infrastructure as part of London’s Olympic Legacy

https://www.queenelizabetholympicpark.co.uk/media/press-releases/london-olympic-and-paralympic-spirit-rekindled

Controversial plans to for a 21,500-capacity spherical music venue at Stratford, in east London, have been approved.

The Sphere will be entertainment giant Madison Square Garden Company’s first venue outside the United States and was last night backed by members of the London Legacy Development Corporation’s planning decisions committee by six votes to four.

https://www.building.co.uk/news/green-light-for-controversial-sphere-music-venue/5116657.article

1922748_aerialearthdisplaymsgspherelondo

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 8:42 AM, Rob. said:

Controversial plans to for a 21,500-capacity spherical music venue at Stratford, in east London, have been approved.

The Sphere will be entertainment giant Madison Square Garden Company’s first venue outside the United States and was last night backed by members of the London Legacy Development Corporation’s planning decisions committee by six votes to four.

https://www.building.co.uk/news/green-light-for-controversial-sphere-music-venue/5116657.article

1922748_aerialearthdisplaymsgspherelondo

Wow so they really are going through with this? I thought it would have been scrapped honestly due to costs. If London ever decides to go for a 4th Olympics the Sphere would make a nice venue for the likes of boxing, judo, taekwondo, or wrestling.

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...