Who will be the new FIFA president?

baron-pierreIV

Even from his acceptance speech, there was humility and sincerity.

Well... He has the passion to do it, so we should see how well he is in using that passion to change FIFA in 1-3 years from now..

Well, jokes aside at least it wasn't an arab. That would had been worse.

An honest Arab leader would have been very good for FIFA. It seems as if Sheikh Salman is not clean, though.

I think FIFA itself will enact some genuine reforms now. Even the 40 team World Cup will be a good thing. (It will be bad for clubs, but top European teams are raking in money, so I don't pity them too much.) The problem, though, is really the corrupt confederations and FA's.

:/

Same old Fifa.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

C'est la vie.

There's a long way to go, but I can't think of a better (realistic) outcome than this. Europe's candidate until a few months ago was a man who voted for Qatar so would've been compromised from the start. The alternative to Infantino - and the man everyone expected to win - was a man who is accused of torturing footballers involved in pro-democracy protests and mis-using FIFA funds for his own campaign. Imagine the mess FIFA could've been facing today!

I'm more hopeful for FIFA's future than at any time during the past decade after yesterday. Of course, he could prove to be a fraud or as corrupt as the rest, and to get himself over the line he had to promise more FIFA cash to FAs so in a sense that's straight out of the Blatter play-book. But he seems decent enough and untainted by corruption, so I want to give him a chance.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Gianni Infantino faced investigation by Fifa ethics committee for alleged malpractice

Gianni Infantino, the Fifa president, was under investigation by the organisation’s ethics committee for more than one separate alleged instance of malpractice when he organised the sudden removal of the committee chairmen and members last month.

The Guardian has learned that the Swiss prosecutor Cornel Borbély, who was chairman of the ethics committee’s “investigatory chamber”, had begun examining complaints that Infantino and the Fifa general secretary, Fatma Samoura, improperly sought to influence the election in March of their favoured candidate for president of the Confederation of African Football (CAF), Ahmad Ahmad .

The allegations are understood to include claims from senior figures in African football that Infantino and Samoura promised FA presidents, in a series of private meetings, that they could accelerate the payment of Fifa development money to their football associations if the presidents voted for Ahmad.

Infantino is said to have manoeuvred for the ousting of the longstanding CAF president, Issa Hayatou, because Hayatou did not support him in the Fifa presidential election last year, instead endorsing the rival candidate, Sheikh Salman bin Ibrahim al-Khalifa of Bahrain.

Borbély is also understood to have been in the early stages of an investigation into a further possible ethics breach by Infantino.

More @ https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/18/gianni-infantino-fifa-president-ethics-committee-under-investigation-alleged-malpractice?CMP=share_btn_tw

• Like 1