Any sport worth watching on TV today?

Ok just saw the Kitten Bowl is on the Hallmark channel. Super adorable! But all the damn cat puns from the commentators make it almost unbearable to watch. And it doesn't help that one of them is Mary Carillo, one of the most insufferable NBC personalities who for some reason was a commentator during the 2004 Summer Olympics.

Lady Gaga was incredible. Possibly the best rendition of the Star Spangled Banner since Whitney Houston.

Coldplay was bleh. Beyonce was OK but Bruno Mars made the show. I kind of wished that Beyonce didn't do it this year since the Super Bowl will be in Houston next year, and that's her hometown and it would have been awesome if she sang there. Seems rather redundant to have her return after a year, even if she did take the lead next year and she was just a side piece this time around.

Went to HAIL CAESAR instead. Bleeeh. The Coen brothers are sooooooo over-rated.

Agreed. I saw the trailer for this one and even the cast is impressive it just looked tacky.

I would love a country superstar Superbowl! But ya, you can always pullout old Beyonce for quick "grind and booty pop my mom will understand" waste of time.

I could see George Strait doing the halftime show - along with a batch of newer stars. That would be quite the show. I know GS has retired from 'touring' but is still doing special events like his Vegas residency...

Well if there's one thing that's obvious about the Super Bowl Halftime Show is that the audience and location of the event don't mean a damn thing when it comes to booking acts, which is unfortunate in some case. The only reason why we got acts like The Who, Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Prince, Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen is because of the whole Janet Jackson nipple controversy from 2004. All those acts were considered "safe," but they coincidentally better reflected on those who could actually afford to purchase Super Bowl-priced tickets, which is older white men lol.

But I did find this article, that mentioned that when the Super Bowl was here in Dallas, they were interested in having a country music halftime show. But that changed once Black Eyed Peas agreed to do it. And they make for better ratings anyways, and it's always about more ratings in the end.

So we're back to young acts again! Perhaps maybe we'll see Rihanna, or Lady Gaga as that halftime show next year, or maybe both.

Woops forgot the link here it is

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/black-eyed-peas-to-headline-super-bowl-xlv-halftime-show-20101118

The Black Eyed Peas/Slash/Usher half time show is remembered as one of the worst ever. I didn't mind it though. Rihanna would be risky - not too many G rated songs in her discography. Lady Gaga would be interesting but would the NFL want something that... flamboyant? Maybe if she dragged Elton/Tony Bennett along?

Okay.

Otter Bowl I can handle quite happliy

otter_bowl.0.gif

but I still can't get used to several hours of sport discussion with tiny bursts, only a few seconds long, of actual sport every couple of minutes (not counting the commercials and the half-time show).

As for the half-time show, turning nominal headliners Coldplay into the warm-up act was genius. Celebrating the 50th anniversaries of the Black Panthers and the Psychedelic Shop in Haight-Ashbury at Super Bowl 50 was double genius! All great fun, unless you happen to be a redneck.

but I still can't get used to several hours of sport discussion with tiny bursts, only a few seconds long, of actual sport every couple of minutes (not counting the commercials and the half-time show).

that's why everyone gets drunk.

• Like 2