Calgary bobsled track tragedy: 2 teens dead, 6 injured

SkiFreak

Poor buggers.

Their own fault but how many of us here have thought it would be fun to have a go? Difference is we'd seek out legit ways to do it...

And there are legit ways to do it. The park offers bobsled rides in the winter for public. They also have special wheeled sleds for summer rides.

The site needs better security. All four Luge starts are fully open, including the bobsled/skeleton start at the top. There's no gates, no locked doors, nothing. Very easy to sneak onto the track. Same with the ski jumps. There are cameras around too but security guards are limited. There are gates on the road, but according to the articles, the gates were left open. Even with gates on the road anyone can sneak in there at night and walk up the road to the starts.

I don't blame the kids as we all had our crazy ways growing up. It's too bad they were unaware that the track barriers were set for bobsledding.

And there are legit ways to do it. The park offers bobsled rides in the winter for public. They also have special wheeled sleds for summer rides.

The site needs better security. All four Luge starts are fully open, including the bobsled/skeleton start at the top. There's no gates, no locked doors, nothing. Very easy to sneak onto the track. Same with the ski jumps. There are cameras around too but security guards are limited. There are gates on the road, but according to the articles, the gates were left open. Even with gates on the road anyone can sneak in there at night and walk up the road to the starts.

I don't blame the kids as we all had our crazy ways growing up. It's too bad they were unaware that the track barriers were set for bobsledding.

But this is Canada we're talking about. For the most part the country is one of the safest places to live in the world as far as crime and theft goes. So naturally I wouldn't be surprised if everything wasn't level 10 secured like in the US. People have enough common sense not to get themselves in any danger.

But this is Canada we're talking about. For the most part the country is one of the safest places to live in the world as far as crime and theft goes.

Violent crime is relatively low. But having lived in Canada as a college student I can say for certain that adolescent hijinks are as common there as any other place.

I myself invented a sport that involved a burning (tennis) ball full of ethanol while I was there. It was extremely fun, but it ruined your clothes and shoes.

But this is Canada we're talking about. For the most part the country is one of the safest places to live in the world as far as crime and theft goes. So naturally I wouldn't be surprised if everything wasn't level 10 secured like in the US. People have enough common sense not to get themselves in any danger.

The news report seems to indicated that the site could have been secured a lot better. Sad that it takes a tragedy like this for the folks in charge of the park to realize that.

The news report seems to indicated that the site could have been secured a lot better. Sad that it takes a tragedy like this for the folks in charge of the park to realize that.

Yeah, no. Don't make excuses for these dumb kids. The place was closed for business. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if a place is not currently open for operation then that means you're not supposed to be there, regardless of how well guarded the place should have been. And these are teens that are old enough to know they're not supposed to be there in the first place, they're not ignorant preteens or early teens that have succumbed to peer pressure.

Archived