Flag bearers

For Canada

Lot of talks about choosing Ian Millar who will participate at his 10 olympic in a row in equestrian events.

I hope not... the flagbearers curse is problem for Canada. Pick someone like Cynthia Meyer... who is decorated but likely will not win a medal

For Canada there is only one choice. Rosie.

Seoul 1988 - Carolyn Waldo - expected medalist - double gold

Albertville 1992 - Sylvie Daige - expected medalist - gold

Barcelona 1992 - Michael Smith - expected medalist - DNF

Lillehammer 1994 - Kurt Browning - expected medalist - 5th (Canada still won a silver in his event)

Atlanta 1996 - Charmaine Crooks - limited to no medal potential - 18th

Nagano 1998 - Jean-Luc Brassard - expected medalist - 4th

Sydney 2000 - Carolyn Brunet - expected medalist - silver

Salt Lake City 2002 - Catriona le May Doan - expected medalist- gold

Athens 2004 - Nicolas Gill - limited medal potential - first round elimination

Torino 2006 - Danielle Goyette - expected medalist - gold

Beijing 2008 - Adam van Koeverdan - expected medalist - silver

Vancouver 2010 - Clara Hughes - limited medal expectation - bronze

London 2012 - Simon Whitfield - limited medal expectation - DNF

Sochi 2014 - Hayley Wickenheiser - expected medalist - gold

So since I've been born and since the Olympics became what we know them to be today, Canada has gone 8 for 14 with 4 career honorific selections in Whitfield, Hughes, Gill and Crooks. The curse is BS.

Lee Chong Wei gets the Malaysian flag, making him the second badminton player to have that honor for Malaysia after Razif Sidek. Not only that, Lee's dropping every tournament to focus on Rio:

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/sports/article/chong-wei-is-countrys-flag-bearer-at-rio-olympics

Wikipedia makes note that tennis star Simona Halep is going to carry Romania's flag at the Opening Ceremony. But no news link so far exists (and I tried a Google search too) regarding that.

Swimmer Oussema Melloudi will carry the Tunisian flag:

http://www.kawarji.com/actu-31756-jo_2016_oussema_mellouli_sera_le_porte_drapeau_de_la_tunisie.html

sop-4.jpg

oussema_mellouli.jpg

Dominican Republic's Olympic committee gives this same honor to 400m sprinter Luguelin Santos in the Opening Ceremony:

http://www.diariolibre.com/deportes/olimpismo/luguelin-santos-el-abanderado-por-rd-yn3953991

Luguelin+Santos+14th+IAAF+World+Athletic

India's Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony flag bearer is shooter Abhinav Bindra--and he took the time to announce he's calling it quits after Rio

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/sport-others/abhinav-bindra-chosen-as-indias-flagbearer-at-rio-2016-olympics-2845696/

bindra-thumb_4czn.jpg

Lee Chong Wei (in case you don't know what he looks like) for Malaysia from badminton

lee-chong-wei-malaysia.jpg

And golfer Julieta Granada gets to carry the Paraguyan flag

granada_1442_adt06_million_dollars.jpg?i

julieta-granada-lpga-tour-golf_3232941.j

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/granada-carry-olympic-flag-paraguay/

Perhaps Caroline Wozniacki will not carry the Danish flag. The international tennis federation has to give a wild card before she gets permission to compete at the Olympics. The reason is that they have a rule that she has to be in 2 Fed Cup matches within the last 4 years. She has only participated in 1! She would have been in back in april, but was injured. So here in Denmark we hope for Wild Card, but nothing is sure!

Joao Rodrigues, standard-bearer for Portugal.

August 5, the boater will carry the national flag at the opening ceremony of the 2016 Olympic games
The Portuguese athlete with more participation ever, João Rodrigues, is chosen by the Head of Mission, Jose Garcia, to be the standard-bearer of Portugal, at the opening ceremony of the Olympic games of 2016.

Any guesses on the standard-bearer of Brazil?

If I could bet:

Bernardinho (Volleyball - Men's Team Coach)

José Roberto Guimarães (Volleyball - Men's Team Coach)

Arthur Zanetti (Gymnastics - Gold in London 2012 and favorite in Rio 2016)

Robert Scheidt (boater - This is his last Olympics - 5 medals including 2 gold in six editions)

Marcus Vinicius D'Almeida (Archery - Silver in 2014 World Championship - Bronze in the Pan American Games 2015, is 18 years old).

In my opinion goes between these names the standard-bearer.

Have names like Neymar (Soccer Male) and Ricardo Pessoa (Equestrian) that some pose as potential names I do not bet, Neymar is football and may not even be in the parade, as Person has been flag bearers in London in 2012.

Any guesses on the standard-bearer of Brazil?
If I could bet:
Bernardinho (Volleyball - Men's Team Coach)
José Roberto Guimarães (Volleyball - Men's Team Coach)
Arthur Zanetti (Gymnastics - Gold in London 2012 and favorite in Rio 2016)
Robert Scheidt (boater - This is his last Olympics - 5 medals including 2 gold in six editions)
Marcus Vinicius D'Almeida (Archery - Silver in 2014 World Championship - Bronze in the Pan American Games 2015, is 18 years old).
In my opinion goes between these names the standard-bearer.
Have names like Neymar (Soccer Male) and Ricardo Pessoa (Equestrian) that some pose as potential names I do not bet, Neymar is football and may not even be in the parade, as Person has been flag bearers in London in 2012.

My bet is Jaqueline or Sheila (Volley - Gold in 2008 and 2012)

jaquesheila.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

My bet is Jaqueline or Sheila (Volley - Gold in 2008 and 2012)

jaquesheila.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Yes, it's an option.
I think Marcus Vinicius D'Almeida is an option that is part of what the COB said since 2009, the famous 'Generation 2016'. Well, D'Almeida is the best result so far.
But his could choose leave with Robert Scheidt

I just hope the COB choose someone who has a real chance of medals or someone with a lot of symbolism.

Names like Sheila and Women's Volleyball Jaqueline are good ... the Brazilian team is strong. As Roberto Scheidt who knows Guanabara and is very strong historically any evidence.

Football should not provide the standard-bearers, by the way, in my opinion would be ridiculous Neymar as flag bearers or even Pelé ascending the Cauldron.

It has much more history and Olympic athlete with potential Neymar.

Pelé was never in dispute in any Olympics.

Yes, it's an option.
I think Marcus Vinicius D'Almeida is an option that is part of what the COB said since 2009, the famous 'Generation 2016'. Well, D'Almeida is the best result so far.
But his could choose leave with Robert Scheidt

Nuzman already said that will be an Gold medalist, then my bet still the volleyball team because Zanetti and Sarah will compete in the morning after the opening ceremony...

Australia--Moscow 1980 (Denise Boyd and Max Metzger, the first to do so)

Korea--Sydney 2000 under the unification flag with Jeong Eun-Sun (South Korea) and Pak Jung-Chul (North Korea)

Cuban wrestler Mijain Lopez was chosen to carry the Cuban flag. Again:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/2016-06/16/content_25729769.htm

73013-120-kiloda-altin-nunez-lopez-in.jp

Fellow wrestler but in different (free)style and silver medalist from London 2012 Jaime Espinal will lead his delegation with the Puerto Rican flag

Espinal_8_494592128.jpeg

http://www.primerahora.com/deportes/otros/nota/jaimeespinalseraelabanderadodepuertoricoenlasolimpiadas-1158899/

Two additional Rio flagbearers got announced since the last post.

Azerbaijan's Olympic Committee selects 2x world champion, 2015 European Games gold medalist, and Euro champion boxer Taymur Mammadov over London 2012 gold medalist freestyle wrestler Togrul Asgarov (because Mammadov is more dominate in his sport for Azerbaijan) with the Azeri honor

fc8a7577-bc26-4114-966a-83e473d0bd5e_292

http://report.az/en/olympics-2016/details-on-selecting-a-boxer-teymur-mammadov-a-flag-bearer-of-azerbaijan-team/

And Team Croatia (or Team Hvratska) will led by water polo goalkeeping star Josip Pavic with the Croatian flag in Rio De Janeiro's Maracana Stadium upon the Croatian Olympic Committee Council's Monday announcement in Zagreb. Pavic, 2012 Water Polo Player of the Year and London gold medalist, is Croatia's third water polo player with this honor after Perica Bukić and Dubravko Šimenc. The COC certainly places priority on avalibility at the Opening Ceremony and whether or not there's competition for the flagbearer the next day.

IMG_0538-e1356708881470-640x320.jpg

http://www.croatiaweek.com/croatia-name-flag-bearer-for-2016-rio-olympic-games/