Rugby Sevens At The Rio Olympics

Damn Men's NZ team has the easiest group... maybe.

Although England had an abysmal showing (for a rugby country) this past world seven series and ranked 8th, in the past they've placed much better. Last year they placed 4th in the ranking, making a GB team automatically eligible for the Olympics. Should be interesting to see how team GB will do when they have their strongest players from the English, Wales and Scotland team.

Too bad Canada's men and the South African women not in it.

They're not in it because hey weren' good enough to be in it lol

It is surprising to see SA not make it in there considering how well their men's team is. They really should invest money into improving their lady's squad.

*they weren't. Damn I think this laptop needs to be opened up and cleaned I'm having a bit of problems with some of the letters not going through if I don't push hard enough.

It is surprising to see SA not make it in there considering how well their men's team is. They really should invest money into improving their lady's squad.

*they weren't. Damn I think this laptop needs to be opened up and cleaned I'm having a bit of problems with some of the letters not going through if I don't push hard enough.

The SA ladies did qualify, it's just their NOC rejected the quota afterwards.

For Canada it wasn't about good, it was about an awful season with lots of injuries. Still managed a win against New Zealand and a couple other of the top tier. And ya it is a bit disappointing that the continental champion for the Americas is not in the tournament. But them the breaks.

The SA ladies did qualify, it's just their NOC rejected the quota afterwards.

SANOC can be so arbitrary in terms of wanting to truly succeed in the Olympics and maintain competitive balance level outside of its African competition. So what if they--and perhaps the water polo teams--qualified and wind up get blown out in Rio. They can use all the international experience they can get to stay competitive and improve. Certainly this won't happen if they're already proven world class.

• Like 1

Ebner, Potter highlight USA rugby's rosters for Rio Olympics

LAFAYETTE, Colo. (AP) — USA rugby announced its men's and women's Olympic roster Monday in a list that includes New England Patriots special teams player Nate Ebner and veteran Jillion Potter, who was diagnosed with cancer two years ago.

The 30-year-old Potter found out she had Stage III synovial sarcoma in 2014.

Ebner was kept under contract by the Patriots while training with the rugby squad at the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, California. He was a sixth-round pick by New England out of Ohio State in 2012.

Also making the men's roster are captain Madison Hughes and Carlin Isles, who's been called the "the fastest man in rugby" and briefly entertained notions of trying to make the American track team in the 100 meters.

Rugby sevens will make its Olympic debut at the Rio de Janeiro Games in August.

http://summergames.ap.org/article/ebner-potter-highlight-usa-rugbys-rosters-rio-olympics?utm_campaign=OLY&utm_source=SocialFlow&utm_medium=Twitter

Can someone point me to a primer on the basics of 7's (or Rugby in general). I've got tickets to the women's placement games, but all I know about Rugby is that (1) it usually involves lots of drinking and (2) the higher the level of competition, the more likely the players are to wait until after the game to begin.

• 3 weeks later...

Woke up in time for the start of the Aussie women versus Fiji. Nice to also hear we have a in over Colombia under our belt.

Crowds look a bit sparse. But I suppose it's the pool matches at this stage.

Correction: Crowds look VERY sparse. Disappointing homecoming cored for rugby to the games.

But Oz up 12-0 in the first seconds.

Edited by Sir Rols

1 hour ago, micheal_warren said:

A good day out from the Kiwi Women winning both of their matches against Spain and Kenya comfortably. 

Good to see the girls in the round ball game claiming a needed victory as well...

Sevens women will need to show their mettle as Australia are really hitting form on time.

9 hours ago, Alexjc said:

Good to see the girls in the round ball game claiming a needed victory as well...

Sevens women will need to show their mettle as Australia are really hitting form on time.

It could be a NZ vs AUS final. Will be a tussle! Discipline of the NZ team will have to improve as they had a couple of yellow cards on day one. They wont be able to afford that over the next couple of days. 

Yes a great victory for the womens football team against Columbia! 

NZ hammered an ill disciplined GB 25-7 to book a spot in the Gold final against Australia.

Two yellow cards on half time saw GB down to fives for two minutes with NZ taking advantage.

GB v Canada in Bronze final.

A shame, they mostly held their own until those silly yellow cards. Can only blame themselves. Two best teams in the final, and the two best after that in the Bronze medal match. How it should be.

Same result v Canada again and I'll be happy enough.

• Like 1

Bronze medal to Canada 

Can 33 - Great Britain 10

Pressure simply too much for GB with ill discipline bringing out the yellow card and Canada exploiting it. Although GB did claw one try back in the second half.

Edited by Alexjc

Womans Gold final underway late(after officials hurriedly gathering up the celebrations of Canada and getting them off the field).

Tough match with NZ first try but this is a 20min match.

Australia hitting back at half time and NZ one down 

10-5 Australia. 

NZ discipline not holding against excellent tactics by Aus.

Edited by Alexjc