Tokyo 2020 Ceremonies

No wonder Taro Aso said these games were cursed. Even without Covid they managed to shoot themselves in the foot constantly. Both by sexism, though considering Japan is one of the most sexist countries in the world, I'm hardly surprised to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a quick glimpse of it and I don't know how to feel. In a way, it felt like a very fun and self deprecating ceremony, and it seems they wanted to go "screw it, people love us for vidya and anime so lets just give people what they want from us", much like in the handover. I also liked the idea of the moving stages which would also form the continents. On the other hand, it's a bit cringe that all of the ceremony was going to be about vidya and anime references. And I'm not a fan at all of that cauldron lightning, its extremely similar (to not say identical) to Lima 2019 cauldron, including the geometric stage and everything.

I don't know what to feel anymore of this after so many changes and resignals and controversies. I'm usually positive but, much like Baron said, this is gearing up to be a complete mess, and then there's the Covid thing. I honestly stopped thinking about these ceremonies and i'm focusing in what Paris will do instead.

I think what MIKIKO had in mind was spectacular. From reading the pages on the website, I found that the creative and artistic direction was so hypnotic and vibrant. I believe that it lacked some sort of unique exploration of Japanese culture that non-Japanese may not be familiar with. It is such a shame that the ceremonies are left in a dangerous position after a messy turn of events as I was looking forward to seeing what Japan could offer.

I do have an idea on how MIKIKO can get their Opening Ceremony plans to see the light of day. How about they hire a 3D film animator to develop the plan for the Opening Ceremony from start to finish and upload it to the world wide web like Youtube etc. I believe there are 3D animations of segments from the Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony on Dimitris Papaioannou's Youtube Channel (who was also the creative and artistic producer for that ceremony).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PikyoK said:

I think what MIKIKO had in mind was spectacular. From reading the pages on the website, I found that the creative and artistic direction was so hypnotic and vibrant. I believe that it lacked some sort of unique exploration of Japanese culture that non-Japanese may not be familiar with. It is such a shame that the ceremonies are left in a dangerous position after a messy turn of events as I was looking forward to seeing what Japan could offer.

I do have an idea on how MIKIKO can get their Opening Ceremony plans to see the light of day. How about they hire a 3D film animator to develop the plan for the Opening Ceremony from start to finish and upload it to the world wide web like Youtube etc. I believe there are 3D animations of segments from the Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony on Dimitris Papaioannou's Youtube Channel (who was also the creative and artistic producer for that ceremony).

Other than for scholarly purposes, what's the point though -- if these are the first rejected ideas?  It's not like these were the FIRST rejected ideas in Olympics or Big Event history.  Also, there's a large difference between what's on paper/ a storyboard and actual execution of something on a grand scale.  So, unless you have the money of a Mike Bloomberg to pay for such a vanity project, I doubt that it will get anywhere.  Also, the work there belongs to the Tokyo Organizing Committee.  It's not like anyone can just flesh it out and release it without any approval from TOCOG.  

8 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Other than for scholarly purposes, what's the point though -- if these are the first rejected ideas?  It's not like these were the FIRST rejected ideas in Olympics or Big Event history.  Also, there's a large difference between what's on paper/ a storyboard and actual execution of something on a grand scale.  So, unless you have the money of a Mike Bloomberg to pay for such a vanity project, I doubt that it will get anywhere.  Also, the work there belongs to the Tokyo Organizing Committee.  It's not like anyone can just flesh it out and release it without any approval from TOCOG.  

I just thought that would be a great idea given that we are 4 months away from the Opening Ceremony and if people think that Covid and disputes between members of the Tokyo Organising Committee influenced the actual Opening Ceremony in July, at least people can have a look at what the Opening Ceremony would have looked like if it were held as normal (as if covid and disputes never happened). 

8 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

So, unless you have the money of a Mike Bloomberg to pay for such a vanity project, I doubt that it will get anywhere

It doesn't have to cost much. TOCOG and MIKIKO could do what Dimitris Papaioannou did for the 2004 Athens OC and develop 3D simuations or animations of segements. 

12 hours ago, PikyoK said:

It doesn't have to cost much. TOCOG and MIKIKO could do what Dimitris Papaioannou did for the 2004 Athens OC and develop 3D simuations or animations of segements. 

But why would TOCOG want comparisons of what could/might have been vs. what will actually be seen on July 23rd?  They would only suffer in comparison.  Papaioannou (and/or JMWorldwide) did it with his own material which was commissioned by ATCOG and for a purpose: I believe it was part of his "audition" for the IOC to approve the content of the ceremony -- so, it's not an after-thought.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

16 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I believe it was part of his "audition" for the IOC to approve the content of the ceremony

Perhaps. But I think MIKIKO's idea was so extravagant that it could possibly cause a lot of the Japanese public and fans of vidya and anime to become furious at TOCOG and the ceremonies team that they didn't keep that idea or modify it to make the production suitable for these current circumstances, especially if the ceremony storyline on July 23rd will be completely different from the one originally planned. 

Just now, PikyoK said:

Perhaps. But I think MIKIKO's idea was so extravagant that it could possibly cause a lot of the Japanese public and fans of vidya and anime to become furious at TOCOG and the ceremonies team that they didn't keep that idea or modify it to make the production suitable for these current circumstances, especially if the ceremony storyline on July 23rd will be completely different from the one originally planned. 

It's a shame that such a great work of art could be forgotten. 

5 hours ago, PikyoK said:

It's a shame that such a great work of art could be forgotten. 

Uhmm . . . this is NOT the first time an original set of ideas are rejected.  That was the scenario for last year -- BEFORE Covid became an issue and a villain to the Games.  And just because fans/outsiders get tickled by a POSSIBLE scenario (which could just be a red herring) doesn't mean it can happen.  Just leave it to the Ceremonies Dept.  It is their job to put on what the IOC approves.  Outsiders are not privy to all the factors that go into the chosen scenario.  

12 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Uhmm . . . this is NOT the first time an original set of ideas are rejected.  That was the scenario for last year -- BEFORE Covid became an issue and a villain to the Games.  And just because fans/outsiders get tickled by a POSSIBLE scenario (which could just be a red herring) doesn't mean it can happen.  Just leave it to the Ceremonies Dept.  It is their job to put on what the IOC approves.  Outsiders are not privy to all the factors that go into the chosen scenario.  

I suppose so.

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Nah.  It'll probably be Naomi Osaka, maybe Matsuyama, a Fukushima survivor and a handicapped person.  

Would they really give this honour to someone who doesn't even speak Japanese?

18 hours ago, ulu said:

Would they really give this honour to someone who doesn't even speak Japanese?

Why?  Do they need to utter something when they light the cauldron? :blink:  Ouch?  Banzai? 

Would you say that of a "mute" person, even being a true-born Japanese?  A Japanese "mute" person doesn't speak Japanese or anything.  :blink:

Your allegation is DISCRIMINATING.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

On 4/14/2021 at 8:21 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

Why?  Do they need to utter something when they light the cauldron? :blink:  Ouch?  Banzai? 

Would you say that of a "mute" person, even being a true-born Japanese?  A Japanese "mute" person doesn't speak Japanese or anything.  :blink:

Your allegation is DISCRIMINATING.  

Japan is inherently racist and they kept showing it by redoing the stadium contest again so a Japanese architect would win and by banning all foreigners from entering naively thinking this is going to help at all to prevent a Pandemic which already skyrocketed. Maybe if these games were being done in the West i would believe you but the last thing Japan gives two shits about is about diversity.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 9:41 AM, Hightowerio86 said:

How about Rikako Ikee? She just qualified for the games, 2 years after being diagnosed with leukemia. I don't know who would be a better choice to light the cauldron?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rikako-ikee-tokyo-olympics-japanese-swimmer-leukemia/

It would be a good choice but wasn't she already in that small ceremony last year done when the games were supossed to open?

rikako-ikee-kqCF-U110885916107Q0E-1248x7