baron-pierreIV

Tokyo 2020 Ceremonies

With Anime confirmed to be in the menu, a reminder Takashi Yamazaki (one of the three main directors) is known for having worked in CGI adaptations of popular anime recently. Doraemon's "Stand by Me" for example (the 3D model of Doraemon used in the 2016 handover was the same from the movie). And most recently, he has worked in an adaptation of Lupin III. Perhaps the appearances of anime characters will use a similar style?

Some rather dissapointing news about the opening after a planned number featuring the Ainu (a native tribe of Japan which lives in Hokkaido, and which the japanese government has been repeatedly acussed of abusing and considering second class citizens) was recently announced to be cut due to "lack of time". Yet they had lots of time to add pandering to Japanese animation and futurism. Embarassing considering hosts like Rio, Vancouver, Salt Lake and even Beijing gave their ethnicities some spotlight.

https://www.hokkaido-np.co.jp/article/390859

1) How can they include an Ainu-specific segment without a similar one for the Ryukyuan people, Burakumin, etc?

2) Depictions of aboriginal peoples are a no win situation. If the organizers don't include aboriginal culture they are accused of whitewashing the past and when they do they have been accused of cultural appropriation.

It would be great if they could include a segment on the Ainu. But if they don't think they can do it well, then that should be OK too.

They can only show so much in a ceremony. And in the case of Japan, there's so much to work with.

I myself got treated to Ainu folk performances while in Hokkaido. Also, my attention was brought to the Golden Kamui manga at the place I was staying. There is a lot of appreciation for Ainu culture in Northern Japan.

So maybe they can save it for when the Winter olympics return to Sapporo.