Tokyo 2020 Ceremonies

It's almost become a recent tradition for the Paralympic opening ceremony to be better than the Olympic one. I don't really know why this has happened (lower budgets forcing more creativity? Too much protocol in IOC rules?) but hopefully Tokyo continues it. Is MIKIKO involved? Have they actually managed to keep a creative team in place for more than 3 months this time?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Reminder: 

The Olymoic ceremonies was also called "Moving Foward", what that means is that the Paralympic ceremonies are a continuation of the Olympic ceremonies. Pretty unique for Tokyo as Olympic and Paralympic ceremonies are usually seperate works. Tokyo's Paralympic ceremonies is the sequel to the Olymoic ceremonies.

Do you know something about this?

Was it the original plan of MIKIKO? To continue the show they did on the handover segment in Rio???

If it was the plan... I feel more and more dissapointed... it could have been the best opening ceremony ever thet we already started to watch four years earlier...

7 minutes ago, Nacholympic said:

Was it the original plan of MIKIKO? To continue the show they did on the handover segment in Rio???

If it was the plan... I feel more and more dissapointed... it could have been the best opening ceremony ever thet we already started to watch four years earlier...

I'd get annoyed after watching this for more than 1 minute. 

I actually was going to drop/ignore this opening after the catastrophe which were the Olympic ones, but after seeing the rehearsals it seems this show is going to mop the floor with the Olympics ceremonies. It still looks simple and with heavy use of projections but at least it seems to be a much coherent show with a common theme connecting it which the Olympic one didn't as a result of all the controversies/changes in the ceremonies team.

25 minutes ago, BigVic said:

Loved both the London and Rio Olympic and Paralympic Opening Ceremonies 

Despite London was huge! It seemed very slow to me... Rio's was more dynamic, faster and colorfull with shorter segments that kept your attention ... PyeongChang was a lot more dynamic and faster than the Olympics ceremonies and the projections were even more mind blowing despite the slow intro segment of the drums rite...

Toyo dismissed the projections and we all already know  why: it was just for the controversies, lack of organization and the endless quarrels inside the (dis)organizing ceremonies commiittee...

Just few hours away to watch a new ceremony and give a veredict. I hope this ceremony to be the one which save the year and this Olympic edition.

1 hour ago, Nacholympic said:

I would be suprised if MIKIKO came back to direct this.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, WD96 said:

I would be suprised if MIKIKO came back to direct this.

11 minutes ago, WD96 said:

Oh and they made a petition right before the Paralympics:

https://www.change.org/p/mikiko先生-幻の東京五輪開会式を国立競技場で復活させよう

If elements that was presented in this video was on the Paralympics ceremony, I will be super shocked.

Already signed!!!

I want that petition to see the light of day and make the event happen.

Someone can also contact Mikiko, the stadium owners, the Tokyo government,and the guy that started the petition and see if they can work something out.

Also according to Channel 7 Australia, school children will spectate the ceremony inside the stadium. YAY!!! A least we had some crowds while we are in Tokyo.

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2021 at 6:49 PM, Nacholympic said:

this indeed looks like a mock-up of what the plans were.

Just a small reminder Tokyo 2020 ceremonies weren't the only ones which suffered resignations from its staff. Four years ago I talked about how the original art director of the PC 2018 ceremonies resigned due to creative differences with the director (the later was considered much more experienced than the director himself). There is more info about it here

http://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?news_id=N1003757002

Jung Gu-Ho,  (정구호 , art director) was very liked by korean netizens and some in 2017 thought the PC ceremonies were completely doomed. Fortunately, the worst was avoided and they could make a decent show.

Wally Kinoshita was director of the paralympic opening ceremony.

Other members are....

Kaiji Moriyama (Director / Chief Choreographer)

Yoshie Kurisu (Stage Advisor)

Akihiro Hamabe (Art Director)

Yohei Taneda (Stage Art Designer)

Sachiko Ito (Choreographer) 

Takeatsu Nashimoto (Choreographer)

Keisuke Kanai (Choreographer) 

Kera Hirofumi (Hair Makeup) 

Atsushi Makino (Video Director) 

Kaori Hirooka (Access Coordinator)

Tomoyuki Tanaka (Fantastic Plastic Machine = Composer / Choreographer) 

Ryo Konishi (Composer)

Junichi Matsumoto (Composer)

Naoki Tanaka (Production Planner) 

Hiroki Inoguchi (Video Director) 

Nami Tomizawa (Set Designer)

Sho Konishi (Costume Designer)

Minoru Fujimoto (Choreographer of Light)

Yuka(Yuka Tamura)(Assistant Director)

Masao Miki (Assistant Choreographer)

Kozue Nomura (Access Manager)

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/6010e55b577477b0f43380a83cd81b812f9f2077?tokyo2020

(article above is in Japanese so use translator)

Didn't knew Junichi did music for the Paralympics ceremony. I know him for doing the music of Kirameiger (previous Super Sentai show) so now I realize why it felt familiar.