Jump to content

Tokyo 2020 Ceremonies


Recommended Posts

 

 

12 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Music used for the last scene (fireworks finale) was Symphony No. 2 at Terra by Takashi Yoshimatsu (starting at 31:11). They're a known classical composer in Japan. Fans of Osamu Tezuka might recognize him for composing the soundtrack of 2003 Astro Boy.

 

Funnily enough this music has a distinct Olympic familiarity about it . Reminds me of the warriors by Percy Grainger (last few minutes), used for the Sydney 2000 opening fireworks finale . 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mattygs said:

Reminds me of the warriors by Percy Grainger (last few minutes), used for the Sydney 2000 opening fireworks finale

Definitely!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's hope the Paralympics ceremonies team wasn't plagued with the same curse/controversies/replacements and put a good show. I'm often surprised at how Paralympics ceremonies can sometimes end up being better than their Olympic counterparts (London 2012's opening ).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A bit boring they're still using London 2012 anthem arrangements almost 10 years later. At least in Nagano Seiji Ozawa made arrangements of the anthems which sounded pretty nice. This is lazy as hell.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 12:34 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

Hey, long time no see.  Try the IOC's website  www.olympic.org  They may have the full OC  up already.  

Not finding it, but I'll keep looking.

 

Yeah, don't make it in here much these days. There's kinda not much to talk about because there never seems to be any Olympic bids anymore. Ha ha!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2021 at 10:51 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

Torino and Salt Lake were probably the last 2 which fulfilled the IOC's Charter of what a cauldron should be (which was written for a Summer Games, not a Winter Games). 

 

What are those fulfilments that cauldrons should have according to the IOC? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, olympiaki-agones said:

What are those fulfilments that cauldrons should have according to the IOC? 

 

Originally, it had to be present at the site of the Athletics competition (so, always the main stadium) and then visible to the rest of the city (or a greater part of the host city).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also this is the music used for the cauldron lighting.
Kazuname Watanabe's Dr. Coppelius: 7. Rise of the Planet performed by the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra. The part they used for the cauldron lighting starts around 3:02

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 1:06 AM, Ikarus360 said:

A bit boring they're still using London 2012 anthem arrangements almost 10 years later. At least in Nagano Seiji Ozawa made arrangements of the anthems which sounded pretty nice. This is lazy as hell.

here's hoping either Beijing or Paris actually bothers recording some fresh arrangements for the anthems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Shiruba98 said:

Also this is the music used for the cauldron lighting.
Kazuname Watanabe's Dr. Coppelius: 7. Rise of the Planet performed by the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra. The part they used for the cauldron lighting starts around 3:02

 

Another composer who worked in Tezuka animes (Black Jack and Jungle Emperor Leo). Whoever was in charge of choosing the music is obviously a Tezuka fan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isao_Tomita

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Originally, it had to be present at the site of the Athletics competition (so, always the main stadium) and then visible to the rest of the city (or a greater part of the host city).  

The IOC should reinforce that. Since London 2012, cauldrons are missing, except for Winter Olympics. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, olympiaki-agones said:

The IOC should reinforce that. Since London 2012, cauldrons are missing, except for Winter Olympics. 

But the host cities are such HUGE metropolises that it would probably take a 1500-ft tower for it to be visible for 15 miles around.  Hence, the best alternative is to put it by the water as they have now done for Vancouver, Rio and Tokyo.  Obvious, the IOC approves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The wooden Olympic rings had good reputation in this forum.I was watching the opening ceremony and NHK's narrator said that those were made from the trees grown in Hokkaido and the seeds were originally brought by the athletes at the 1964  SOG.How could they bring those botanical seeds personally to Japan at that time?? I think it was probably a joke to give some storyline to Tokyo 2020 ne.

https://twitter.com/Tokyo2020/status/1418535914360303625

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone know something about the Closing Ceremony?
Just few days to end these Olympics and still waiting for some details of it.
Despite the latest Paralympic opening ceremonies have reached the Olympic ones, this time I honestly don’t expect too much… 
Indeed, some segments of Rio Paralympic OC were more attractive, colorful and dynamic  than the Olympic counterpart. In PyeongChang, the Paralympic OC was definitely better than the Olympics. For Lima 2019 Pan Am the Opening Ceremony for the ParaPan was as attractive as the Panamerican Ceremony… So, what to expect after a mourning Olympic ceremony?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Nacholympic said:

Does anyone know something about the Closing Ceremony?
Just few days to end these Olympics and still waiting for some details of it.
Despite the latest Paralympic opening ceremonies have reached the Olympic ones, this time I honestly don’t expect too much… 
Indeed, some segments of Rio Paralympic OC were more attractive, colorful and dynamic  than the Olympic counterpart. In PyeongChang, the Paralympic OC was definitely better than the Olympics. For Lima 2019 Pan Am the Opening Ceremony for the ParaPan was as attractive as the Panamerican Ceremony… So, what to expect after a mourning Olympic ceremony?

We'll, I heard the segment will be dedicated to the Japanese who are killed by tragic events such as the Hiroshima bombings just like what London did 9 years ago with the 2005 bombings.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Decided to look up closing ceremony on Youtube and found a sneak peak. It is confirmed by this video that there will be drones in the Closing Ceremony. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Olympian2005 said:

I feel like the closing ceremony will involve many many long speeches :( 

They're only as long as whichever edited version you watch, broadcasts them.  But Oly Protocol really requires only two: - one by the OCOG head; and one by Bach.  You can refresh your guacamole bowl in that time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...