Tokyo 2020 Ceremonies

Well...... any thought about the opening

it met my expectations because it was very low.. but I was impressed by the way the mountain opened and it leads to the cauldron, i somehow expect the cauldron will move tho haha anyways i like the cauldron, does anyone has uodate about the second cauldron?

47 minutes ago, Olympicman said:

Well...... any thought about the opening

it met my expectations because it was very low.. but I was impressed by the way the mountain opened and it leads to the cauldron, i somehow expect the cauldron will move tho haha anyways i like the cauldron, does anyone has uodate about the second cauldron?

Look at 1:23:33 part onward

On 8/11/2015 at 6:46 PM, Palette86 said:

Song title is "Dream is all", and singer's name is not open to the public for now according to TOCOG.

So what ever happened to the music piece in this promo? I've been waiting for YEARS to know the name of the composition and the artist behind it, but I've officially given up realizing it was forever scrapped along with the original motif and logo.

On 7/19/2021 at 10:34 AM, Nacholympic said:

Even more...

1984 : Flag rings (Sarajevo) - Golden balls rings (LA)

1988 : Human rings : in the spectators seated in Calgary and Human formation in Seoul.

1992 : Dancing human rings (Barcelona, dancing Sardana)

1994 : Human rings (again)

1996: Dancing human rings (the tribes)

1998 : No rings

2000 : Horses rings

2002 : Fire on ice rings

2004 : Fire on water rings

2006 : "Structure" rings

2008 : Light rings (dream rings)

2010 : Explosive rings (the snowboarder who crossed the rings)

2012 : "Industrial wih fireworks rinngs

2014 : Failed snowflakes rings (OC) - Human rings (CC)

2016 : Trees rings

2018 : Pre-recorded drone rings

2020 (2021): Live drone rings

OK, belated, but at Grenoble 1968, they formed the rings in the sky from the "exhaust smoke of jets." 

Smoke rings in the sky, formed by the exhaust of Airplanes, symbolize the 1968 Olympics, which opened with the winter games, Feb. 6, 1968, Grenoble, France. 

Of course, Grenoble is known to be a grim, industrial town, hence, it was in keeping with its terrible environmental laissez faire!  LOL!   Source:  Tokyo Olympic opening ceremony: Look at photos from past performances (usatoday.com)

4 hours ago, Faiyez said:

So what ever happened to the music piece in this promo? I've been waiting for YEARS to know the name of the composition and the artist behind it, but I've officially given up realizing it was forever scrapped along with the original motif and logo.

Dude, thanks so much for finding this! Had been looking for this promo video since it was released, nice to finally see it again. The music is great. Now, to find the seizure-inducing London 2012 logo promo and I'll be set! :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Best of luck with that. It was on the London 2012 website for about 1 day ...

Surprisingly, I just found it!

Apart from the obvious seizure issue, I really dig the vibe of this video. Very expressive and unexpected for its time.

5 hours ago, olympiaki-agones said:

This opening ceremony was so boring because of the fuss by fired key people a few months and even days before the kick off? 

Lots of changes in the ceremonies team, many of them at last second, and the firing of the second director in March due to the Olympic joke.....all of this unfortunately led to the disjointed mess we saw today.

Such a weird, messy, clumsy, disjointed, and boring ceremony. Even when considering all the changes and budget cut due to pandemic, it's still unacceptably bad.....

The idea of an opening ceremony is not just to simply open a game anymore but to showcase the country culture and its identity to the world. There's bar set really high for the Summer game ceremony and even when you lower it for pandemic/budget's sake....the worst it should ever get is what we got from Brazil and this one I think is not even close to what Rio did which is extremely underwhelming. Yes, they still continue the game because they wouldn't risk losing further revenue not that they care about sport or some higher ideal. They chose to go against public opinion to have the game continue and now on top of that they also embarrass the country with more scandals and poorly made ceremony....I mean there's no end to this disappointment about this game. 

At least, I know Beijing wouldn't disappoint us and it's about 7 month from now.

8 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Pictogram portion was OVERLY long!  

I thought the pictogram was one of the best parts.

I didn't think the whole ceremony was that bad. Especially, with all the changes that had to be made. 

I saw it as a combination of old and new world items.

1 hour ago, Ikarus360 said:

Lots of changes in the ceremonies team, many of them at last second, and the firing of the second director in March due to the Olympic joke.....all of this unfortunately led to the disjointed mess we saw today.

Miraitowa and Someity during the ceremony:

EZMi4ufVcAEiJFg.jpg

I loved it - and I think it was the right balance of serving the occasion and acknowledging that alot of the world (including Japan) is in a lot of pain. It couldn't be a usual Olympics ceremony because these are unusual and sombre times. They got the tone right. I thought Bach spoke beautifully to the moment (he seemed genuinely humbled). and I've never really liked his style of leadership. 

I love the bold move of changing Faster Higher Stronger Together

Posted (edited)

Question about Naomi Osaka:  so, if her father is Francois, why is she using her, I imagine, her mother's surname?  Yet, she seems to have a continuing relationship with M. Francois.  Just curious. 

(If the City of Osaka were the host, I imagine she could not have been chosen to light the cauldron if her last name wasn't "Tokyo"?  :wacko:  First time in history that the final lighter has the surname of the host city's main domestic rival city. ) 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

57 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Question about Naomi Osaka:  so, if her father is Francois, why is she using her, I imagine, her mother's surname?  Yet, she seems to have a continuing relationship with M. Francois.  Just curious. 

(If the City of Osaka were the host, I imagine she could not have been chosen to light the cauldron if her last name wasn't "Tokyo"?  :wacko:  First time in history that the final lighter has the surname of the host city's main domestic rival city. ) 

Osaka is a common surname in Japan. 

1 hour ago, Olympicman said:

Are there any live videos on youtube on the games? I remember in the last games there were selection of livestreams in the olympic channel of different games.. its sad i cant see one now...

No...not yet.

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

(If the City of Osaka were the host, I imagine she could not have been chosen to light the cauldron if her last name wasn't "Tokyo"?  :wacko:  

lmao