Tokyo 2020 Ceremonies

3 minutes ago, WD96 said:

Another footagd of the drone if you look very closely.

I love the animated pictograms. I wonder how these drones will be incorporated to the show. Maybe they’ll be in the sky during the parade? 

https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/mystery-surrounds-performers-for-tokyo-olympic-games-opening-ceremony/news-story/5f7d3def1e55e6fb6d11f66c1c72786e

"There will be no screaming fans in the stands at Tokyo’s Olympic Stadium, except for a few VIPs and dignitaries, and a large portion of the event is set to be pre-recorded."

I wonder what the pre-recorded portions include? The drones? The broadcast tower lighting up?

After London 2012 most of ceremonies, including regional games, have had a lot of prerecorded segments. Rio started with a pre- recorded clip “Aquele abraco”, PyeongChang started with a children clip (long and boring) and Tokyo will follow the same line.

Honestly, I don’t like them. I prefer full live shows as Lima 2019 was.

• Like 3

We have seen some very short footages of the next ceremony and I can’t help remembering some of the top moments of the previous summer games ceremonies. According to me, they are (starting in 1992):

Barcelona 1992: The Mediterrean sea

1500882716_368059_1500882840_album_norma

Atlanta 1996: Summer time

fd55d7d9c0.jpg

Sydney 2000: Nature

opening-ceremony-sydney-olympic-games-ol

Athens 2004 : Clepsidra

olympia-athens-2004-eroeffnungsfeier-shu

Beijing 2008 (Many top moments) : One world, one dream

olympic-ceremony-6046540.jpg

London 2012: Pandemonium

f09845693e4a8598379717c619f6c815bff23402

Rio 2016: Pindorama

la-1470452472-snap-photo

What could be this time????

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Olympian2005 said:

I hope i am wrong but it looks like it is going to be very disjointed and confusing ceremony with lots of random young people doing interpretive dance :s

Imagine is a nice song but it is boring and sad. i hope that the we get some joy in the ceremony.

Uhmmm . . .  if anything, this is the best chance for Japan to tell a story, or to spin it any way -- how a great event for Japan was waylaid by a natural, unseen for like a virus, but nonetheless, the nation soldiers on and will keep its commitment to the athletes of the world -- or something like that.  I don't believe the Japanese are that naive to let an excellent opportunity to tell a unique story, slip thru their fingers.  It's NOT like this is their first time staging an Olympics -- and that the IOC isn't paying attention to every detail of their show.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Uhmmm . . .  if anything, this is the best chance for Japan to tell a story, or to spin it any way -- how a great event for Japan was waylaid by a natural, unseen for like a virus, but nonetheless, the nation soldiers on and will keep its commitment to the athletes of the world -- or something like that.  I don't believe the Japanese are that naive to let an excellent opportunity to tell a unique story, slip thru their fingers.  It's NOT like this is their first time staging an Olympics -- and that the IOC isn't paying attention to every detail of their show.  

Remmeber the "Abide with Me" segment at the 2012 Olympics? 

5 hours ago, WD96 said:

That segment has been dedicated to the victims of terrorism.

It didn't happen, right?  Just like the IOC nixed the "Russian dead of WW2" that Putin wanted honored in Sochi -- but was not allowed.  That's why I don't remember it.  So, I miss your point.  

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

It didn't happen, right?  Just like the IOC nixed the "Russian dead of WW2" that Putin wanted honored in Sochi -- but was not allowed.  That's why I don't remember it.  So, I miss your point.  

Nope, it happened. Was one of the highlights of the ceremony...you can read it about it my book "Even More and More Secretive Secrets of the Olympic Ceremonies" available soon on Amazon.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Citizen-Seth said:

"Even More and More Secretive Secrets of the Olympic Ceremonies" available soon on Amazon.

Hmmmm, I wonder where you got that catchy title?  ;)  Good choice!! When will this be available?  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Haha 1

Sneak Peek of Props from the Tokyo 2020 Youtube Channel

- The blocks moving remind me heavily of a Pyeongchang 2018 opening ceremony segment (which ironically some japanese netizens acussed of kinda ripping out stuff from the 2016 handover

- The poles at 0:08 are Matoi Flags. They were used by Edo era Firefighters to mark a place where a fire was happening or to quickly notify other firefighters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matoi

- Really intrigued to know what are those floating stones from 0:24

- 0:26 seems like the Placards will be based in japanese manga panels/dialogue boxes.

Doesn't seem they will use very large props so far, more like they will be medium sized in a similar way to Pyeongchang and Rio.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

- The blocks moving remind me heavily of a Pyeongchang 2018 opening ceremony segment (which ironically some japanese netizens acussed of kinda ripping out stuff from the 2016 handover

- The poles at 0:08 are Matoi Flags. They were used by Edo era Firefighters to mark a place where a fire was happening or to quickly notify other firefighters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matoi

- Really intrigued to know what are those floating stones from 0:24

- 0:26 seems like the Placards will be based in japanese manga panels/dialogue boxes.

Doesn't seem they will use very large props so far, more like they will be medium sized in a similar way to Pyeongchang and Rio.

The floating stones could be a reference to one of the lyrics in Kimigayo, the Japanese national anthem.

細石の 巌と為りて

"Until the tiny pebbles, grow into moving boulders"

"Until the tiny pebbles, grow into massive boulders" is the correct lyric...
Why is there no edit function in this place? It's worse than WhatsApp...

21 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

After London 2012 most of ceremonies, including regional games, have had a lot of prerecorded segments. Rio started with a pre- recorded clip “Aquele abraco”, PyeongChang started with a children clip (long and boring) and Tokyo will follow the same line.

Honestly, I don’t like them. I prefer full live shows as Lima 2019 was.

Apart of prerecorded segments, intensive use of proyectors are sadly being the rule in OC since sochi 2014.

Lima 2019 maybe was the last game with live action on their ceremonies, so segments as Nature (Sydney), Clepysdra (Athens) or Li And Yue (Beihing) will be hard to be seen or even never seen in the next OC