Tokyo 2020 Ceremonies

/\/\  I believe you -- but I don't go home humming that "victory" music -- and completely forgetting, say, a new anthem I've never heard before.  Unless of course, there are people who will wait for this "victory" bkgd music -- and then TURN down the audio for the national anthem?  :wacko:

Maybe -- but don't come to my living room to watch this.  :wacko:

The Tokyo Ceremonies will be just fine I think...look at their 2016 handovers (both Olympic and Para), they were probably the best ever. Creativity can be done on a budget, without 10,000 performers.

Has anyone else noticed that pre-victory-ceremony  and ceremony music seems to be partly recycled, or uses parts of earlier Games music? I think Beijing and Rio had some earlier Games music during the victory ceremonies, but I cant put my finger on it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

The Tokyo Ceremonies will be just fine I think...look at their 2016 handovers (both Olympic and Para), they were probably the best ever. Creativity can be done on a budget, without 10,000 performers.

Has anyone else noticed that pre-victory-ceremony  and ceremony music seems to be partly recycled, or uses parts of earlier Games music? I think Beijing and Rio had some earlier Games music during the victory ceremonies, but I cant put my finger on it.

I wouldn't say that the Tokyo handover was the best.

I think that Sydney had the best handover at the Atlanta closing.

• Like 1

Also tbh, seeing how Japanese people's views on disability and disabled people is kinda sad, I hope the Paralympic opening ceremony can make a statement on what being disabled is like and the challenges that can be conquered in a positive light.

I want things to change in Japan for the better in terms of mental health, conformist values and disabled people.

I also hope the Paralympic Games can also be seen as an inspiration to the Japanese people, especially those with a disability to try and make Japan a better place to live for mentally and physically disabled people. Like making places in Japan more accessible for disabled people.

Strong rumours they will be playing "Give Me Wings" at the opening, based at the comments of people who heard rehearsals nearby the stadium.

https://johosokuhou.com/2021/06/28/48363/

Its a very popular song in Japan so I can see it being used. Fans of Evangelion might remember it from the second Rebuild movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsubasa_o_Kudasai

• Like 3

The second olympic cauldron at 夢の大橋 (Dream Bridge).

Looking at the shape of it, it seems like the pyramid structure in the stadium isn't actually the cauldron. Or maybe they have a different design for the second cauldron.

E4uvmjCVgAgnHTo?format=jpg&name=large8663546_ext_col_03_0.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cat said:

The olympic rings will be drawn by Blue Impulse, the Japanese Air Force's acrobatic team. Just like 1964's opening ceremony.

Isn't the ceremony starting at night though? Or it will be dawn like in London's

1 hour ago, Ikarus360 said:

Isn't the ceremony starting at night though? Or it will be dawn like in London's

How was it dawn in London?  The ceremony began at about 8pm local time if IIRC.

And that's when Tokyo's will start 8pm  local GMT +9

1 hour ago, Ikarus360 said:

It's likely going to be part of a pre-show prior to the start of the ceremony, considering that the articles reporting on the Blue Impulse act word it as it happening "on the day of the ceremony" rather than "during the ceremony"

15 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Strong rumours they will be playing "Give Me Wings" at the opening, based at the comments of people who heard rehearsals nearby the stadium.

https://johosokuhou.com/2021/06/28/48363/

Its a very popular song in Japan so I can see it being used. Fans of Evangelion might remember it from the second Rebuild movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsubasa_o_Kudasai

To my generation,this is a song of Showa era. Well known song of music lesson in elementary or  junior high school.

3 hours ago, Palette86 said:

I recognize Dragon Quest theme song and Final Fantasy victory fanfare theme. :lol: So the references to videogames are still going to happen, huh? Seems like they are still using the Mikiko plan or at least parts of it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

BEST Summer Handover segment - agreed, it was Sydney's at Atlanta.

BEST WINTER handover segment - Lillehammer 1994 at Albertville - 

Trivia about the Lillehammer Handover.  A number of those so-called "Viking" seafarers were actually Norwegian policemen attending the Games, who were recruited at the very last minute to play their forebears!  What an exciting tale to tell their children and grandchildren!! 

So, IMHO, the most inspired Handovers shown in 1992 and 1996 happened consecutively. 

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

BBC trailer for Tokyo 2020 is already out and oh god....they really went all-in with the references. Even the music sounds like Ghost in the Shell.

That's cos Kenji Kawai actually made the music which combines his trademark Minyo vocals and traditional Japanese instrumentals with J-Pop and Hatsune Miku.

Ticket for the opening ceremony. Previous ones used to give us some small hints of the ceremony, but this time seems to be just a simple one with the brand of the games. Only difference is the text being in gold. I'm still not sure of what to say about holding an opening ceremony with spectators considering the pandemic, but I guess with 20.000 spectators they have more than enough space to maintain social distancing. I'm not sure about the athletes, though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQs1VWUHxHW/

• Like 1